how often is L8 crashing theese days?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live

how often is L8 crashing theese days?

once every hour
3%
a few times the day
16%
once a day
7%
a few times the week
7%
once a week
5%
a few times the month
22%
a few times the year
21%
never
19%

Total votes: 114

3phase

Re: how often is L8 crashing theese days?

Post by 3phase » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:08 pm

and one remark regarding the poll.. a few times the years is hardly acceptable.. everything more than one time the year is actually a risk on stage.. but ok. we dont have this option..

so wright now 19 have a reasonable stability and 31 have not..

So regardless how this numbers translate to the outside world.. the tendency is clearly that too much users have problems
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:39 pm

3phase wrote:Thats all really strange.. maybe the trick is really to use apple pro books.. and they just dont like to tell that in public to dont scare customers away..

at least thats the common thing i see with the people that go really on stage and seem to have stable operation..

any crashing Apple pro books here?
You might have something in that. Whether thats an Ableton thing, Driver thing, or Platform thing who knows, however I have no reason through using other software to suspect anything other than Live. When I first posted this startling difference in reliablity between the two platforms, of course a bunch of people came out of the woodwork to say that Live is equally as flakey for them on OSX as windows - I just quietly ignored them, sacrificed some chickens to the DAW gods and hoped Live on my MBP would remain stable... :)

I have discovered that the most common cause of PC crashes is also a bug in the OSX version as it died once during the same action. It would help if itt could be as reliable on the PC as TBH I find it far quicker and more responsive to use (I think thats an Apple/OSX UI design and scheduling priority thing - some bit of windows 7 simply seem better than OSX).
Nothing to see here - move along!

XSIMan

Post by XSIMan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:30 pm

I've only had crashes when I ran Live without admin mode. Loading live in admin mode in Windows 7 64bit I've never had a crash in over a year.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:49 pm

3phase wrote:?? dont repeat this stupid statements that i never send in reports.. just search the bug forum and you will find many reports from me.. ..
allways this lies to claim me responsible for my crashes. sure..might be my machine..i allways get this idea..and than i ask the forum..and it dont really looks like thats only my personal problem. and it works fine on evrything else...

And when you send a crashreport you never get any answers to your questions. The logic in that that tehy either want my system to crash..or they just have no idea what is causing the unstability..what is a bit poor after 2 years..

2 years after the struggle started the actual version is worse again than the one before..that looks extremly promissing..
And there are still no official anouncements what plug ins or hardware platforms give problems..

Thats appears a bit ignorant from abletons side to dont have gathred any information about that item yet.

And whats about the quality statement? no new features before hamersmith.. stable operation first..
Why is the new version worse when that is not because of the new max features?

There are new features regarding max and serato all the time but only slight stability improovements.. it´s not crashing on any session anymore or without touching it.... but still too often to feel safe on stage.

I think its time that ableton releases some info about stable systems.Factory recomended hardware setups and verified 3rd party plugs..

I cant really belive thats pure random or karma if a user has problems or not... there must be some common denominators..

its software ..not voodoo ware.. or? 8O

2 years with crashes and no official statements and advice form the side of the company..officially they say that the program is stable now..

but do they really belive this themself or are there dirty tricks to achive stable operation they only share with rectified rainers but not the mean normalo customer? Has ableton deliverd special version to people like ritchi hawtin that obviously risks to go on the big stage with that crap?

Thats all really strange.. maybe the trick is really to use apple pro books.. and they just dont like to tell that in public to dont scare customers away..

at least thats the common thing i see with the people that go really on stage and seem to have stable operation..

any crashing Apple pro books here?
After so much struggling, you should go for alternatives and ask for a refund. In your place (I did it with IK Multimedia) I'd do that. Ableton goodbye. Peace of mind. I suggest that because I see you are suffering a lot in trying to solve a problem that seems not solvable. If you insist on this path we could think you like the eternal condition of having problems and do not want to move on. For me Live has been 100% stable and support helped fast 100% of times. Maybe I am lucky or my problems were small ones but that's my experience. I wish you peace of mind.

- Best
- Pasha
Apple Desktop / Laptop
Live 9 Suite,Zebra 2.6,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers

tchan

Post by tchan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:51 pm

crashes have been occurring in arrangement view...all i'm doing is opening and closing projects or renaming files. more bugs with the latest update...haven't tested in session view yet. however, i think i'm going to stick with 8.2.1 for live performance. btw, i'm on os x 10.6.7.

sebrov

Post by sebrov » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:16 pm

like tchan my crashes come from arrangement view, mainly adjusting the loop brackets. i don't recall ever having a crash in session view.

psaiclone

Post by psaiclone » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:26 pm

i had absolutely no crashes until i bought and downloaded max4live.
now i know the meaning of the word bluescreen

but as max likes to crash on its own also, i know how to avoid this in
critical situations.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:03 am

i want my opcode studio vision back :"(

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:15 am

3phase wrote:i want my opcode studio vision back :"(
Yeah! Integrating Max was such a good idea! :D

Max for Opcode Systems. Lets hope this Max for Live run lasts longer!

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:35 am

hoffman2k wrote:
3phase wrote:i want my opcode studio vision back :"(
Yeah! Integrating Max was such a good idea! :D

Max for Opcode Systems. Lets hope this Max for Live run lasts longer!

selling opcode to gibson wasnt such a good idea.. why have they bought it anyway`? to eliminate it?
quite the same like the integartion of max..why hve the integrated it? to eliminate it?
and what will be eliminated? live as host for stage work? and as daw its still way t inferior anyway..

or max as tool of choice for the elitits audio nerd? that is so proud and willing to share his work with spotty teenage trance techno honks...

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:42 am

now 49 bad 29 good.. the relation is shifting even more towards bad..

or 63% with to0 much crashes... thats sofar the highest % on a crash poll ever.. even in the worst L8 times we only reached 50% in forum polls..

I am actualy a bit shocked how bad it still is.. Ableton is really good in wiping theier issues under the carpet by playing the shiny new feature game...

the smart thing ..officially they are claiming to rise stability by not including new features.. in the background the integration of max is doing the opposite..ruining stability once and for all.. but delivering shiny new features every month now..

so it´s a fanboy paradise now.. every day new features to find from the max patchers..and stability is no issue because you wont produce anything stage ready anyway anymore because just testing the new devices will take all your free time.. ..and on monday morning..back to work...

the ideal product to keep your audience busy, happy and of stage... or actually adress a much wider audience that never planed to go on stage anyway...

just..how can you really turn max into a music making mass product? its so uggly from the usage concept that it hurts.. a box of lego is much more appealing for making music with it than max...

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:13 pm

And it's crashing even without max4live activated.

Really annoying when you have a gig or a scheduled contest.
Yet most annoying when it crashes randomly.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:40 pm

I can't in fairness reply to this poll, not because I'm any less frustrated than the next person when I have a crash, but that the results of the poll will be heavily inaccurate to the real level of problems and lack of problems that live 8 users are experiencing. Not that anyone ought to be left behind: each case is just as important. It's just that this basic data isn't really helping people figure out what the heck their individual problems are.

My crashes from 7 moved with me when I trialed Live 8 this month. There are orphaned preference files, defunct rosetta license keys, and just plain fidgety plug-ins that probably traveled with me. I'm much better off sending my crash reports to live, and letting them develop some useful statistics. If anything, I would encourage us in a separate post to break down and understand the start-up log so we can read it for ourselves. And if you wanted to put pressure on Ableton, it might be healthier to suggest that they publish or share their findings and patterns. Heck, we could even have a crash forum or a registry of known system, interface, and add-on conflicts. Enter your configuration, and you'd get advice on the most stable interface drivers, suggested control panel settings, etc.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:31 pm

salatspinatra wrote:I can't in fairness reply to this poll, not because I'm any less frustrated than the next person when I have a crash, but that the results of the poll will be heavily inaccurate to the real level of problems and lack of problems that live 8 users are experiencing. Not that anyone ought to be left behind: each case is just as important. It's just that this basic data isn't really helping people figure out what the heck their individual problems are.

My crashes from 7 moved with me when I trialed Live 8 this month. There are orphaned preference files, defunct rosetta license keys, and just plain fidgety plug-ins that probably traveled with me. I'm much better off sending my crash reports to live, and letting them develop some useful statistics. If anything, I would encourage us in a separate post to break down and understand the start-up log so we can read it for ourselves. And if you wanted to put pressure on Ableton, it might be healthier to suggest that they publish or share their findings and patterns. Heck, we could even have a crash forum or a registry of known system, interface, and add-on conflicts. Enter your configuration, and you'd get advice on the most stable interface drivers, suggested control panel settings, etc.

i just wanted to know if i am the only one that has still too much crashes because ableton seems to have finished theire work on L8..
So i wondred wether my computer is maybe broken.. but ... as this poll shows.. L8 is just still not stable..
Or as unstable as it was all the time.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:24 pm

oh man, you're really sticking it to Ableton today, congratulations!

today was a good day for 3phase. :D
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"