8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ambientidm
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:57 am
Contact:

8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by ambientidm » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:51 pm

i don't know what is going on but i seem to have constant crashes with nerve when using single cycle waveforms
m4l often cause strange mouse jumping behavior making mouse adjustments in live useless
and often times all menu options in live are grayed out which causes me to have quit live
many m4l devices cause crashes if put in a rack and tweaked
the longer i use live in a session the longer it takes to quit or change sets
i remember ableton saying they were going to focus on stability and bug fixes because of all the bugs and crashes users were complaining about
what happened to that?
this is kinda ridiculous at this stage of the game don't ya think
has anyone else had the menus gray out on you?
i am a long time user and i find 8 to have amazing features but it's basically broken
i use a mbp 2.2 c2d osx 10.6

jack

ilya.soloviev
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by ilya.soloviev » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:56 pm

Oh god! I can't listen to all that bugs'n'crashes of L8 anymore!
Abes, please...let this end!

hoffman2k
Posts: 14683
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:07 pm

ambientidm wrote: and often times all menu options in live are grayed out which causes me to have quit live

has anyone else had the menus gray out on you?
That one is explained by a dialog box that is behind the application window. You're unable to click on anything except the buttons in that window, but you can't see the window.
Whenever in that situation, use Expose or Cmd-Tab to bring the dialog into focus.
Its not a bug exclusive to Live, I've gotten the same bugs with the Energy Saver dialog box in OSX when something else is full screen.

In regards to the MFL crashes, did you update to 5.1.8? And did you install the new Live Pack? And have you checked if the devices you are using have received any updates since you downloaded them?
If the answer is yes to all and you can make Live crash easily, Ableton and Cycling support are very interested in your crash logs.

ambientidm
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:57 am
Contact:

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by ambientidm » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:27 pm

@ hoffman2k
thanks for your help
live has now pissed me off enough to be actually posting this stuff
it's kinda disgraceful that version 8 is more unstable then all previous versions
as far as menus being grayed out today i was able to add new tracks and sends but that was it
i went to force quit live but i didn't have to as it allowed me to quit from the dock and save
live was not full screen at the time and i had safari running at the same time
maybe i have to use live in full screen only

have you ever had the mouse thing happen to you
it seems to be related to m4l but it isn't repeatable
somedays the mouse goes crazy other days it's fine
i don't like paying to be a beta tester but that is exactly what ableton pulled on everyone
great big apology but that was it
no bug fixes in like over a year i believe

i am using the latest max and the device that seems to crash a lot is the rozzer sequencer but thats not the only one and xfer nerve now crashes it almost constantly
as far as i am concerned able has really fallen into the same category as the access virus ti
tons of great features that work some of the time

hoffman2k
Posts: 14683
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:42 pm

ambientidm wrote:@ hoffman2k
thanks for your help
live has now pissed me off enough to be actually posting this stuff
it's kinda disgraceful that version 8 is more unstable then all previous versions
as far as menus being grayed out today i was able to add new tracks and sends but that was it
i went to force quit live but i didn't have to as it allowed me to quit from the dock and save
live was not full screen at the time and i had safari running at the same time
maybe i have to use live in full screen only

have you ever had the mouse thing happen to you
it seems to be related to m4l but it isn't repeatable
somedays the mouse goes crazy other days it's fine
i don't like paying to be a beta tester but that is exactly what ableton pulled on everyone
great big apology but that was it
no bug fixes in like over a year i believe
You don't need to be in full screen to have a dialog box out of view. It doesn't pop up when you click on the Live window, so you can't really know its there. But its there. You need to re-select the application to make that box jump to front.

The mouse going crazy is something I haven't heard before. Even with MFL.
Could you be more specific on what it actually does wrong, what type of mouse and if the problem also occurs with a different mouse/trackpad?

Crashes, be they from MFL or not, are getting a lot of attention from Ableton. Those crash packs that must be filling up your drive, if you are suffering this much, are of high interest to Ableton. Please send those packs to them if possible.
They'll help to clear those bugs in upcoming fixes.

ilia
Posts: 787
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:12 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by ilia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Confirmed (sadly).

Once in a while I get out of Live 7.0.18 (which is pretty stable for me) and try to start a serious project in the current version of L8, only to get bogged down in crashes down the road.

I guess I should just stop wasting my time with it; problem is, there are now a bunch of unfinished ideas started in Live 8 that are lingering till it finally (ever?) becomes stable. I think at this point it's pretty clear that the M4L integration, as powerful as it is in its functionality, has resulted in an array of hard-to-track bugs. I wish Ableton would compile a version of Live 8 that's basically 7.0.18 + new Live devices + Live 8 functions that don't break stability (Complex Pro, fades, groups) and give it to those of us who absolutely need a stable (if limited) version of Live 8 that reads the new format.

Well, I wish for that, but who will listen?

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:56 pm

bounce your Live 8 stuff to audio, import into Live 7. you can also have an instance of each open so you could visually compare one set to the other.

an interim version? no way that will happen. they need to fix 8 and come up with compelling features for Live 9, not to mention juggle the other balls of the Bridge and m4L and deal with those user bases.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

kb420
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Image
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

ilia
Posts: 787
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:12 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by ilia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:09 pm

Tone Deft wrote:bounce your Live 8 stuff to audio, import into Live 7. you can also have an instance of each open so you could visually compare one set to the other.

an interim version? no way that will happen. they need to fix 8 and come up with compelling features for Live 9, not to mention juggle the other balls of the Bridge and m4L and deal with those user bases.
Sure I've done this, but it's pretty tedious having to recreate the complex routings, side-chaining, reload instruments and plugin configs when I want to continue with the project. And every time I do it, I curse myself for thinking that Live 8 had finally become stable.

Yeah, I don't have much hope for them to make a separate limited but stable compile ("Live 8 SAFE" ?), although that would be a great move. It probably wouldn't take a lot of work to take out the problematic stuff and would go a long way towards restoring the good will of dedicated but frustrated users.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:18 pm

ilia wrote:It probably wouldn't take a lot of work to...
really?

love the forum armchair coding.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

ilia
Posts: 787
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:12 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by ilia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:24 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
ilia wrote:It probably wouldn't take a lot of work to...
really?

love the forum armchair coding.
I haven't seen the current code.
I'm obviously guessing.
The guess is based on my hypothetical understanding of Live's architecture and on having seen a whole lot of other code.

hipdeejay
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 4:42 pm

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by hipdeejay » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:51 pm

I'd say 8.2.2 is MORE buggy than ever

mr.ergonomics
Posts: 914
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:12 am

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by mr.ergonomics » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:02 pm

I really don't have a bug problem.

Rabalder
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Norway

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by Rabalder » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:25 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote:I really don't have a bug problem.
Same here..

dude rancher
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by dude rancher » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:31 am

for those of you with no issues i dare you to use omniphere or tillian or max for live with either. serious problems exist with 8.2.2

Post Reply