8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sp0bjogu

Re: 8.2.2 just as buggy as ever

Post by sp0bjogu » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:50 pm

dude rancher wrote:for those of you with no issues i dare you to use omniphere or tillian or max for live with either. serious problems exist with 8.2.2
I use Live 8.2.2 with Omnisphere 1.5.4c with no issues. What problems with Live + Omnisphere do you have? I'll see if I can recreate them on my setup.

/sp0

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:27 pm

could dust lead to the ridiculous cpu spikes?
i am currently in one of the dustiest places on the planet
afghanistan

and my mpb is about 5 years old

tried to use touchable today
disgusting spikes with absynth and a couple of live racks and a m4l sequencer

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:03 pm

ambientidm wrote:tried to use touchable today disgusting spikes with absynth and a couple of live racks and a m4l sequencer
not dust but an old computer. surprised it's ever usable.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
ambientidm wrote:tried to use touchable today disgusting spikes with absynth and a couple of live racks and a m4l sequencer
not dust but an old computer. surprised it's ever usable.

that's why i only buy macs

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:26 pm

/face palm

yeah, how's that working for you? :lol:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:21 pm

Tone Deft wrote:/face palm

yeah, how's that working for you? :lol:

great until l8 :evil:

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:08 pm

The earlier builds of 8.2.2 were better on my computer. This last one crashes frequently, mostly when exiting Live. Where can you download the previous beta build?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:32 pm

These threads never cease to baffle me. When I read the title and saw the number of pages, I thought "aha! - that explains my horrible experience with my new, now returned laptop!". But then again, when you're at the final page of one of these threads, there's always a lot of people having no issues at all, and I'm none the wiser: was it my new computer hardware? Was it Windows 7? Was it the 8.2.2 update (which I installed for the first time on this new laptop)?

During Easter, I've had the first opportunity in months to actually sit down and really get some work done, on my desktop computer, running Live 8.2 on Windows XP, and I haven't had as much as a hiccup, and I've tossed quite a few plugins on it: my current project uses Massive, FM8, a bunch of Sylenth1, in addition to several Operators and Samplers. I've got a gazillion tracks, and - knock on wood - everything is running so smoothly that it's really made things FUN again.

I know I could install 8.2.2 on this computer, just to try it out, but then again, I don't particularly see the need for it, as it would be tantamount to fixing something that isn't broken.

golemus2

Post by golemus2 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:52 pm

come on be fair.. ableton has only a handfull of autodidactic hobby coders..
As we can see in this unusal honnest video
http://www.ableton.com/de/developer-jobs

They cant compete with the pros..and even in the open source community many pros are engaged in theire freetimes..or students that will be pro..

Ableton is a small company they can´t afford to hire expensiv coders.. for that what one pro coder costs the month you pay the complete ableton staff.[/quote]

I wonder if they did that video before or after release of Live8. If before, then it is just totally bullshit. It would seem logical that they did it after as even the CEO has admitted that there was a process crisis in the company, and to me it seems that the video is done after finding solutions for the crisis. For me it seems that they are now in the right direction as the releases have slowed down, it must mean that they are rewriting the software under the hood, which is very often the best solution if the code architecture has become too complex or spaghetti code. And the purpose of Live 8.x.x updates is just to show customers some activity. Of course you could question why they released M4L and Serato Bridge before repairing the software, but maybe it would not make Live9 come any faster as you cannot just add more coders to a team and expect the software to become ready faster.

djcl.ear

Post by djcl.ear » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:34 am

golemus2 wrote: For me it seems that they are now in the right direction as the releases have slowed down, it must mean that they are rewriting the software under the hood, which is very often the best solution if the code architecture has become too complex or spaghetti code. And the purpose of Live 8.x.x updates is just to show customers some activity.
Really wish your wishes/perceptions are correct Golemus2, for I and also suspect many potencial users (knowingly or not) are just waiting for a stable up-to-date-compatible(W7 Big RAM, SSD trim, etc) 64bit Live version with internal programming capable of multithreading efficiency... to be released, for us to buy it and come onboard.

That important step will be a very big push to our own personal musical goals and also for Ableton ones, but it is acknowledged it will only be accomplished by a deep re-writing (re-ordering) of Live internals.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:39 am

This should be Ableton's mascot:

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:18 am

3 year old mbp

I can make it sound awful but I can't crash it.

however, dropping one instance of granulator into my massive all-audio live set causes the cpu to go from 9% to 109% and stay there, and the sound to break up obviously. I'm not sure this should really be the case. I can add an extra 3 x FM8 + trash, 3 x imposcar + trash + 2 x kontakt + trash instead without similar problems.

a new set with one granulator is fine, about 23% cpu (is that 'fine'?) so I guess it's the processor trying to make up for the lack of free RAM....?

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:01 pm

plenty of crashing still for me. Especially when quitting, but also some crashes when dragging clips around and onto samplers. I'm doing a lot of m4l work, so that certainly has had an effect. Hope to see 8.2.3 respond better...

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:48 pm

lots of crashes when saving M4L instruments.
After saving I need to force quit Max

They should buy some consultant services from Propellerheads or something

daveashe

Post by daveashe » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:15 pm

This is really sad, just importing an m4u song in 8.2.2 causes ableton to stop any clips from playing at all.

Try it, just drag a file from itunes and you will see what i mean.

I'm just using ableton to check the dynamic range of some of my favourite music against my own.

I don't use it much these days since i've got Propellerhead Record (+Reason 5 Rack devices integrated with podfarm platinum) which NEVER crashes and is actually fun to produce, mix and master with.