Best MIDI Controller for Controlling VST's?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dr. Fluffenstein

Best MIDI Controller for Controlling VST's?

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:27 am

I'm looking for a MIDI controller that would make it easy to control/change VST parameters without a mouse. With lots of knobs and sliders, and the ability to change the cc's of those knobs to different presets (So that I could map more knobs than are physically available). In other words a controller that lets me control VST's as if they were hardware.

I'm currently using an XBoard 25 along with the patch select option to cycle through different knob cc's... Unfortunately the patch select option causes some VST's to change presets. It's also hard to remember what each knob controls since they all look the same.

I was wondering if there is an alternative out there that make controlling VST's an easier task, something with a more clearly layed out interface where knobs are easier to differentiate. I realize this sounds a bit insane given that most people just map only the main parameters like cutoff, release etc. But I want to avoid using the mouse and control all of a VST's parameters from a keyboard.

Something along the lines of an x-station 25 would be nice, minus the price tag and internal synth.

Thanks

Dr. Fluffenstein

Re: Best MIDI Controller for Controlling VST's?

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into them. Have you successfully used the UC-33 for complete VST control? The kore controller would be a downgrade in my case, since it has less knobs.

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:42 pm

No...I am 3phase!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Novation SL61. If you have more money get Kore and put it right in the empty space of the SL. Use automapped VSTs within Kore and you have the most mouse free control that is possible with hardware.
Professional Shark Jumper.

fisto

Post by fisto » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:02 pm

I would go with glitchrocks advice and add an NI Maschine to be (K)comlete :D

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Maschine.

NI just announced the 1.7 update for Maschine which is all about more advanced plugin hosting workflows. And they're also about to announce Kore essentially becoming integrated into Maschine. They still plan 64 bit update for Kore and further maintenances but all long term development will be going into Maschine.