future of experiemental music on vinyl

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
d-track
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:29 pm

future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by d-track » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Even dance vinyls almost stopped to sell and in case of experimental electronica this is getting worse. Its too bad because this format is perfect for this kind of music.
How do you guys see the present and future of publishing electronica on vinyl in general?
More specifically (here comes the business part:)
Dióbél/Moiré is a hungarian label and collective of experimental artists.
Planning to release the first volume from 1992-2011 on limited (250 pieces) 12".
The label ran into financial problems and 200 eur is still missing to this release happen.
if you are interested, take a listen here and ... everything is written on the page
http://diobel.bandcamp.com/

thanks
*-*

koi
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:44 am

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by koi » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:00 am

Well whether or not one enjoys vinyl for the nostalgia or whatever the fact of the matter is that torrents and costless downloadable music is here to stay. The internet has probablly been the biggest step in human evolution of our lifetime and with it has come the idea of the sharing of knowledge, news, games, media and of coarse music. Despite any attempt to stop this through legal means and the questioning of the morals of the downloaders I think the people in the music industry just have to realize that this is a change that has happened and that they have to live with it. This means: way less record sales of all kinds, a need for artists to make a living touring and of coarse an increased exposure of artists who would have been shoved to the side during a time when the only way to get music heard was to get a record contract and release an album, ie: the experimental electronic artist. So this of coarse means that the internet is the main for of music distribution and other jobs which dealt with previous forms of music distribution will become extinct (record factories where vinyl is made). So, to answer your question, in my opinion vinyl, just like CDs, cassetts and even the radio have very little relevance in the amazing new world of modern experimental music. With that being said I suppose once these artists acquire the financial resources they can issue limited addition vinyl to people who want it.... I just know that if I were wanting to get my music out there, vinyl would be the last thought on my mind.

d-track
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by d-track » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:24 am

i'm sharing the same opinion. Releasing vinyl is not for make money (rather losing), but for the love of that iconic media and its unpredictable sound. If the remaining 200 eur has arrived, these 12"s will be given away for free or almost free. So if you can please spread that link and help this little -maybe the most underground on the planet- label to produce 250 pieces of junk:)
*-*

macmurphy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:21 am
Location: Emneth,Norfolk, UK

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by macmurphy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:31 am

interesting sounding album. bought.

fwiw there's plenty of experimental music available on vinyl from here - http://boomkat.com/

d-track
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by d-track » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:52 am

macmurphy wrote:interesting sounding album. bought.

fwiw there's plenty of experimental music available on vinyl from here - http://boomkat.com/
Thanks Neil :wink:

yes boomkat is one of the finest contemporary music store around.
We'll try to make contact them for distribution when the discs finally came out.
*-*

swishniak
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:25 am
Location: Berlin

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by swishniak » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:03 am

interesting article on the subject: http://www.littlewhiteearbuds.com/featu ... atization/

i dont agree with everything he says.. but its a worthwhile read.

Moody
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:47 pm

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by Moody » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:20 pm

I think distribution is relative to the artist and the fan base they attract. The difference now is that I do not have to buy an entire album to hear what it is going to sound like; as a connected consumer I am looking to explore the artist's work before purchasing a product... Eh... that is my take on it at the moment.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

memes_33
Posts: 867
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by memes_33 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:07 pm

i have read several articles recently about the increased sales of vinyl. vinyl sales have gone up consistently for the past few years.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... p-20110106

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment ... g-5090.ece

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/take-r ... -shit-hole

that being said, it is probably much harder for a more unknown artist to break into the vinyl market. why spend $15 on a vinyl you might only listen to for a year or two when you can get it cheaper or free on the interweb? sure, i'll spend that money on an older classic album that i already know is timeless, but in a world where a lot of music has a short shelf-life (i.e. electronic music), its a little harder to shell out the cash for something that you might only listen to for a year or so.

another side of the coin is the fall of the LP format. we are seeing much less full-length albums and many more EPs or singles being released. our attention spans are being shortened with every new generation- no one has time to listen to a full-length album, so why make one? in today's market, you're much better off making 3 3-song EPs than 1 9-song LP. you keep your presence up by giving your audience something new more often, and you don't assume that just because you put 9 songs on one album that someone is going to listen to every one. in the late 70's & 80's, all that mattered to the big wigs is that there were 2 or 3 "hit" songs they could sell- the rest could be filler material because the few hits were enough for people to buy the album. you just can't get away with that anymore- you are in constant danger of being forgotten about.

just my $0.02
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33

d-track
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by d-track » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:59 pm

nice input thoughts thanks.
and most of them explain why we are still need 190 eur :oops:
*-*

Rabalder
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Norway

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by Rabalder » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:57 pm

d-track wrote:Even dance vinyls almost stopped to sell and in case of experimental electronica this is getting worse. Its too bad because this format is perfect for this kind of music.
Why?

doghouse
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by doghouse » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:04 am

d-track wrote:Even dance vinyls almost stopped to sell and in case of experimental electronica this is getting worse. Its too bad because this format is perfect for this kind of music. How do you guys see the present and future of publishing electronica on vinyl in general?
I disagree about vinyl being "perfect" for electronic music. I own a lot of older EM on vinyl from the pre-CD days and always hate listening to the snap-crackle-pop in the quiet passages. CDs can handle much more low end than vinyl where the mastering engineer has to trade off between volume, low end extension and playing time.

Nowadays when the music can be created completely in the digital domain, why bother transferring it to vinyl?

I still play my old LPs and 45s but I would only buy new vinyl if it was something I really wanted and it was not available on CD. I've bought only two LPs for that reason in the last ten years.

d-track
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by d-track » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:35 am

all the truths has been told.
donate!
*-*

macmurphy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:21 am
Location: Emneth,Norfolk, UK

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by macmurphy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:55 am

doghouse wrote: Nowadays when the music can be created completely in the digital domain, why bother transferring it to vinyl?
because call us old fashioned, misguided or stuck in the past, some of us just like vinyl.

i'm probably a little daft because as soon as i get a vinyl album i'll transfer it to digital.
the thing is, i just prefer having them to cds.

kanuck
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by kanuck » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:10 am

macmurphy wrote:
doghouse wrote: Nowadays when the music can be created completely in the digital domain, why bother transferring it to vinyl?
because call us old fashioned, misguided or stuck in the past, some of us just like vinyl.

i'm probably a little daft because as soon as i get a vinyl album i'll transfer it to digital.
the thing is, i just prefer having them to cds.
Same here, I feel like it's a better physical item compared to the cd format. Of course for pure convenience nothing beats apple lossless files on my iPod but I prefer to get vinyls over cds for the albums I really love.

d-track
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:29 pm

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by d-track » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:28 am

the vinyl format is physically connected to the music itself. As it is really is.
can you hear the music when put your ears close to the cd player? Or the cassete tape deck?
your ipod?
now you can understand.
aphex twin said in an interview once that there are no two equal vinyls - and they are changing from time to time.

vinyl will be te iconic image of recorded music for a ling time.

same as floppy disc. its icon means save or save as.. even people under 20 doesn't even know what the fuck is a floppy disc - they just click on it and save.
*-*

Post Reply