future of experiemental music on vinyl

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
macmurphy

Re: future of experiemental music on vinyl

Post by macmurphy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:04 am

d-track wrote: same as floppy disc. its icon means save or save as.. even people under 20 doesn't even know what the fuck is a floppy disc - they just click on it and save.
:lol: true. though if you come near me with a floppy disk i'll scream and run away :wink:

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:59 pm

I grew up with vinyl and was so happy when CDs arrived. Suddenly no more surface noises, pops, skips, hiss, wow, flutter, bad pressings, etc.

Sure, I still "bond" more with vinyl but there's no contest with the sound. To have vinyl sound better than CDs costs a lot of money for hardware and you still have to live with all the limitations of the media.

I spent the last week listening to nothing but LPs, by the way.

As someone who owns 5000+ LPs, 3000+ CDs as well as 1000+ 45s, 1000+ tapes (open reel and cassette) I can't say I miss the analog formats too much.

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:32 pm

i've gone through a few phases of record obsessiveness over the years - in the past year or two i've been buying some of the reggae and rocksteady records that i passed up on 20+ years ago because i'm afraid at some point they'll be gone or priced through the roof (and re-presses tend to be pretty bad these days - record manufacturing in Jamaica is barely on life support and has been for years).

at one point i had thought about selling my other records, mostly soul and disco, but a lot of house and techno too but i'm glad i didn't....... just something about having the real thing.

there are some records that sound better than the same CD's, IMHO. it's all down to mastering. and of course, to make a record sound really good takes a good turntable, cartridge and pre (i.e., not the one found in 95% of DJ mixers). not too many people these days are going to be bothered with the expense of the gear, properly setting up a cartridge, cleaning records, etc....

the surge in record buying notwithstanding, i think that ultimately the numbers will dwindle down more.

d-track

Post by d-track » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:17 pm

this topic is about experimental electronica vinyls.
and the least about sound quality.
it is really about the obsession for this old and nice format.
i think putting up these vinyls onto the turntable for home listening adds a plus and great exceptional feeling

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:18 pm

i got my turntable from a car boot sale for less than a pound. it sounds great.

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:43 am

Guys, your discussion proves that vinyl records are nothing else than a fetish.
Inconvenient and outdated. And I always thought it has something to do with it's sound... Sucker!
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:28 am

Goddard wrote:Guys, your discussion proves that vinyl records are nothing else than a fetish.
Inconvenient and outdated. And I always thought it has something to do with it's sound... Sucker!

sure ..the sound has its own magic.. inclusive frequency selective feedback, cycling noises..rumble..vibrato..subharmonic generation, transient smoothing..
And usually a better mastering because The cutting guys dont allow the hardest crap mixes on their machines, but the mp3 user does..

So quite a few positive sound fx

On the selection side vinyl creates better mixes..
Probably the main reason many dj´s like the vinyl so much even when it is so hard to carry.
Funny thing.. especially girl dj´s seem to prefer to carry the heavy cases...

And on the business side of things.. a vinyl is a product a mp3 is a demo.

The vinyl is generating an attitude towards the media..for the producer.. and for the user.

Booth rises the quality of the music..
On the one hand the producers take their work more serious.. a vinyl release is quite an effort..its more of a statement when you dont release 3 each week...

On the other hand people pay for real products what creates a cashflow that enables cool labels to live..and producers to invest more time to the production..
People buy vinyl but they "share" mp3 files.
You guys probably know that you can download any release for free, sometimes even before the official release..
Try that with vinyl... Its not true that the mp3 revolution is beneficial for labels..

But vinyl is beneficial for the surviving of subcultural music styles.
This involves other important cultural aspects as the distribution of brand logos and artist names thru the visual presence of cover sleeves in the clubs...
And involves the aspect of cover art..
With Vinly Artists and Labels have a name without that.. its the laptop of your host that gives the music the identity.. actally dj software should have a display function for the titels played and the clubs should install an extra monitor to show that.. For the sake of club culture that would be beneficial..and they could finaly direct the royalty money, they anyway pay, to the artists that move their club.

So the vinyl record is doing quite a bit more than just sounding better
It´s a more valuable item to buy.. an objekt you can touch..that tells an story in itself, includes a story to tell..what promotes the artists and lables name..

A cultural good.

i dont really see in the moment how we can lift online files to that level.. the media and distribution way banalises the product.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:06 am

Goddard wrote:Guys, your discussion proves that vinyl records are nothing else than a fetish.
it's more than a fetish... it'll never get as popular as mp3s or cds but i believe it'll stay as a market.. unless something else comes along.

Anyone can tell vinyl and cd sounds different.. one sounding better is subjective.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:56 pm

the emerging business model is the multi-tiered release. Free mp3s, cheap lossless downloads, necessarily more expensive vinyl releases, and deluxe bonus packages with tshirts, vinyl and printed material. Vinyl has it's appeal because it gives your fans something tangible to purchase when they want to throw money at you ;]