most underrated parameter to automate

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Poster

Re: most underrated parameter to automate

Post by Poster » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:47 pm

crossfader..

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:58 pm

Track volume, instead of compression.
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:04 am

I wish you could automate eq and all other frequency stuff by pressing the keyboard, and it would set the frequency to the corresponding note. maybe a task for max 4 l
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:43 am

Or send a groove to the arp (sidechained arp picking up the rhythm).

synnack

Post by synnack » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:06 pm

I love to automate through different wave forms in Operator. Why choose just one?
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:32 pm

Grappadura wrote:I wish you could automate eq and all other frequency stuff by pressing the keyboard, and it would set the frequency to the corresponding note. maybe a task for max 4 l
You can create a rack like that. I was thinking about doing it a while back, but youd need 12 macros to cover one octave. Doesnt really fit into the Rack grid. But it is possible, by just adding a long chain of EQ Racks, and assign their on/of switches to keys.
Lots of work, but possible.

This is a perfect task for M4L!

condra

Post by condra » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:18 pm

volume

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Grappadura wrote:I wish you could automate eq and all other frequency stuff by pressing the keyboard, and it would set the frequency to the corresponding note.
Wait, cant you just assign EQ8s filter "on" buttons to keys? Only need to use 12 keys, one for each note. Assign all C note filters to the C key, and so on. The octaves you dont want: cut with LP/HP filters. Use a midi channel on the controller that do not conflict with anything else in Live! Its easy to set up a Korg Nano controller for this task.

OT, sorry. :D

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:27 pm

ze2be wrote:
Grappadura wrote:I wish you could automate eq and all other frequency stuff by pressing the keyboard, and it would set the frequency to the corresponding note.
Wait, cant you just assign EQ8s filter "on" buttons to keys? Only need to use 12 keys, one for each note. Assign all C note filters to the C key, and so on. The octaves you dont want: cut with LP/HP filters. Use a midi channel on the controller that do not conflict with anything else in Live! Its easy to set up a Korg Nano controller for this task.

OT, sorry. :D
thx for the input, its a good idea but you´d need 6 * 12 midi assignments (or even more), so its a bit unpractical. That would be a huge rack eating lots of cpu.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:02 am

Grappadura wrote:thx for the input, its a good idea but you´d need 6 * 12 midi assignments (or even more), so its a bit unpractical. That would be a huge rack eating lots of cpu.
A huge rack when unfolded, but very little cpu use, actually!

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Filter envelope decay?

When I set a synth up, I often have filter envelope Amount & Decay mapped, as well the Oscillator Mix or Pulse Width and maybe the Amount and/or Time of a main LFO if used. I'm often tweaking these & then use automation to mellow out over-playing or copy/edit nice sections. I've been trying to work faster, to capture more of the original creative spark. Also trying to use these early experiments by mangling them into something else and letting things go in new directions. The key to this pleasant change has been something a Vespers post reminded me of, DON'T GET TOO HUNG UP ON MIXING IN THE CREATIVE STAGE.

As for most underrated, that's a great question. Hmm... This sounds silly & obvious but Volume automation just does wonders. I'm interested to hear these suggestions & try some out. Looks like I need to get a bit more adventurous. I've probably added nada to this thread, sorry. :?

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:47 pm

anybody human wrote:Filter envelope decay?

When I set a synth up, I often have filter envelope Amount & Decay mapped, as well the Oscillator Mix or Pulse Width and maybe the Amount and/or Time of a main LFO if used. I'm often tweaking these & then use automation to mellow out over-playing or copy/edit nice sections. I've been trying to work faster, to capture more of the original creative spark. Also trying to use these early experiments by mangling them into something else and letting things go in new directions. The key to this pleasant change has been something a Vespers post reminded me of, DON'T GET TOO HUNG UP ON MIXING IN THE CREATIVE STAGE.

As for most underrated, that's a great question. Hmm... This sounds silly & obvious but Volume automation just does wonders. I'm interested to hear these suggestions & try some out. Looks like I need to get a bit more adventurous. I've probably added nada to this thread, sorry. :?
Thats a great suggestion thx!

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:18 pm

Anything on a bucket brigade delay.

Frequency on the Grain Delay.