Backup... Yaaawn!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Backup... Yaaawn!

Post by ze2be » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:02 pm

..is boring. Takes hours, lots of waiting!

Been out for a week with the laptop.

Backup at home:
Laptop -> External Drive -> Desktop

Im using Super Flexible File Synchroniser for WinXP, but it shold work just aswell with normal copy pasting.

From the Laptop to the External drive I copy everything.
From the External drive to the Desktop I copy everything.
From the Desktop I copy everything to the External drive.
From the External drive to the Laptop I copy everything exept the composition Projects.

The composition Projects are to heavy for the laptop anyway. Im only using it to write when im out, or for performing live obviously. Ive started copying the Live Library aswell, because im tired of loosing slice and groove presets. Though have to admit +3gb is a lot of waiting to go through, just to back up a few midi type files, etc here and there.

Another time consuming part is getting rid of dead weight. If I find something that I want out of the system, I need to delete it from all 3 drives at the same time. Othervise its easy to forget, and it ends up being backup'd again.

Whats your take on backup, how do you keep it flowing and tidy?

fisto

Re: Backup... Yaaawn!

Post by fisto » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:03 pm

you could try pathsync if you don't want to copy the whole library everytime. There you can sort by name, date etc. and sync 2 folders. Works quite good. I used it for my samples-folder.

DRStudio

Post by DRStudio » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm using the paid version of Crashplan and it works great. It was just a matter of setting the frequency of backups, the destinations (you can backup to/from external drives, different computers, friend's computers and even online via Crashplan Central). It's really a set and forget process.

You might check the free version and see how it goes (thou the free version only allows you to backup every 12 hours).

Hope it helps.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:46 pm

Thanks for the tips. Backup in the background: Hows that when your working in Live? Either I work in Live like 12 hours in one go, or the computer is shut of because im out or sleeping.

Quiet happy with Super Flexible File Synchronizer actually.
But to maintain a tidy backup system, one needs more then simply backing up files.
Been on it for 2 full days now: cleaning up all audio related folders and files. A dirty job, but backup from here on will be much easier then before.

dokx

Post by dokx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:03 am

I'm using Dropbox and Wuala, syncs my stuff on my computers automatically.

Tamar UK

Post by Tamar UK » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:58 pm

fisto wrote:you could try pathsync if you don't want to copy the whole library everytime. There you can sort by name, date etc. and sync 2 folders. Works quite good. I used it for my samples-folder.
I just gave this a shot and it works perfectly for my needs in win 7
Thanks a lot :)