Ok To Play

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Ok To Play

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:25 pm

http://tarekith.com/ok-to-play/

Because it's not all work. :)

beats me

Re: Ok To Play

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:46 pm

Again, posted while I’m at work so I can’t read. :x

So again, I’ll post a response possibly unrelated. It’s little work but also about getting stuff done. I recently discovered the joy of working with time expiring demos, not 30 day but more like 30 minutes and it quits and loses everything you worked on. So I either make note of the time or set a timer and before the bomb goes off I record to audio and that is that. A loop I can go back to later. There’s no illusion I can go back and micro tweak for hours on end only to end up destroying something that was useful as is hours ago. :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:51 pm

Yeah man, you were way off base, not at all what this post was about. I was mainly talking about how it's good to take breaks to play with legos or machbox cars, maybe even Barbie's for the females or girly men out there.

Thanks though!

:)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Tarekith wrote:Yeah man, you were way off base, not at all what this post was about. I was mainly talking about how it's good to take breaks to play with legos or machbox cars, maybe even Barbie's for the females or girly men out there.

Thanks though!

:)
Yeah I was way off. I had to be a judge of title. I thought you were talking about playing music aimlessly and not be so focused on the perfect end result.

But damn man, you went way out the norm with your actual post and let me know if you need an expert guest writer on the joys of procrastination or avoiding harsh criticism of your work by not finishing anything. :)

If there's one thing I don't need to do is to take even more breaks to play with toys. I'm a PRO at that already. :x

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:43 am

Brian Ffar

Post by Brian Ffar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:08 pm

I always appreciate your insights, Tarekith.

I must say that after over a decade of DJing and producing, I've FINALLY put together my very first live set (which will debut this Friday night in Chicago) and I have never felt more liberated in the studio. Over the past few years I've stopped writing for other labels, and have consistently been putting things out on my own label (Siteholder). However, with such limited free time in my life, I always feel that I have to "make every track count."

So, with that mindset, there's always a lot of pressure to write and record something viable for release. I finally had my first taste of pure freedom building this live set, and while I would admit that I'm a veteran to Ableton Live technically, I'm a total newb when it comes to thinking about music from a completely live performance perspective.

I'm excited to experience this whole new process fully, and am equally excited to compare my first attempt at a live wet with what it will look like in a year's time honing this new skill of mine.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:30 pm

That's awesome man, good luck with the live set! Where are you playing?

Brian Ffar

Post by Brian Ffar » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Just some small joint downtown called Downtown Lounge. Should be the perfect spot for my first live performance and a good opportunity to actually practice in front of people before this thing officially goes out on the road.