Live, rated in a shootout of 7 major DAWs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: Live, rated in a shootout of 7 major DAWs

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:55 pm

Rabalder wrote:Live is the only DAW that can do what I need my DAW to do. Doesnt matter how its rated.
^hva han sa.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:40 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Rabalder wrote:Live is the only DAW that can do what I need my DAW to do. Doesnt matter how its rated.
^hva han sa.
Wørd øp.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:16 am

but obviously its not as good as daw to fullfill all the needs that might come along in production..otherwise it would have scored better.

It has some advantages.. but to compile and produce albums defently shows its weaks spots and the area where it can be improoved.

Normaly live should have been easily the winner in such a shoot out with the old fashioned daw´s..

Thats it is not, just shows that certain areas are still underdeveloped.

In other words..

An ableton live that would win such a shootout would please you aswell. It wouldnt hurt if live would get a better DAW.

Things like propper automation, timecode support, multiple projekt instances, correct midi implementation..with timing precission, midi delays and intelligent quantisation algos, surround or mutiple outbus support, transparent sound quality and better quality internal plugs, seqeunce creators/step seqencers, intelligent file handling aso..

And dont say that you can do that all with max for live.. its clearly not a daw when you have to program all core functionality yourself. At least the infrastructural stuff needs to be part of the main program.. steps sequencers and plugins ok.. thats extra..

But all routing, automation, time and audio precission related are DAW core functions.. And live is in all 3 of theese diziplins not very strong.. Therefore it cant beat the old fashioned daw´s when it comes to conservativ production tasks.
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:47 am

I Don't know how well Live compares to other DAWs because I can't afford to buy another DAW.

but that test is utter Bollocks. there is no attempt to define any of the terms.

For example what exactly is meant by "Audio Environment", I can't figure out what that even means.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

jtdj

Post by jtdj » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:16 am

Pro Tools 9 rated lowest for audio mixing and mastering! Even below FL! This is a wind-up.

synnack

Post by synnack » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:54 am

What a brilliant idea for blog promotion. I should write a review of Pro Tools versus FL Studio and post it to a few forums. Hundreds of readers (and haters) within a few hours I bet.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:23 pm

DJVespers wrote:http://www.digitalmusicdoctor.com/shootout/

Agree? Disagree?
What a load of bull-crap. :(

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:55 pm

a bit biased and certainly clever promoting

if comparing 1:1 with linear daw, it's true it's still inferior in most aspects for traditional work ,
but not a single other challenger has session view and descent live oriented tools.

so if there were /live oriented/ creativity/ sketching speed / columns live would indeed blow out all other daws easily,
wich would give final score near to middle position or higher. Live was rated as the most apprecied daw in few tests previously.

it still has to progress on regular daw aspect like pointed (midi-implementation,timings,pdc,overal sound quality,snapshots ect)
but it should also keep on focusing on what made it an original powerfull tool that is supposed to be 'live" oriented.
back to session view.(with sexy automs and pdc). once workflow concept is rock solid, the rest is just technical stuff to improve,

dokx

Post by dokx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:05 pm

What the heck, Ableton has no Cd-Ripper and no Mp3-Support! What a shame...

It's like saying "German cars are the best, why do people even bother buying french ones.." ;)

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:51 pm

dokx wrote:What the heck, Ableton has no Cd-Ripper and no Mp3-Support! What a shame...

It's like saying "German cars are the best, why do people even bother buying french ones.." ;)
ableton is an italien car..but no ferrari
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

luddy

Post by luddy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:53 pm

To me, it's a big selling point that Live has a stripped-down feature set, a set of controls that covers everything I want to do but isn't a mental burden. I can't stand "kitchen sink" designs. But the way this evaluation is done, Live's approach gets pretty heavily penalized. Can't say that I think it's a very informative evaluation.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:58 pm

What nonsense.
Live's instruments scored better than Logic's? Are you kidding me? That's Live's strongpoint, it's instruments? Logic's are about as good as you get.

And where does the routing flexibility come in? Live can route audio from any track to any audio track, route midi to any midi track. Even if we are only talking about traditional DAW deatures and not Live performance, it's still whacked.
Professional Shark Jumper.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:04 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:What nonsense.
Live's instruments scored better than Logic's? Are you kidding me? That's Live's strongpoint, it's instruments? Logic's are about as good as you get.

And where does the routing flexibility come in? Live can route audio from any track to any audio track, route midi to any midi track. Even if we are only talking about traditional DAW deatures and not Live performance, it's still whacked.

I agree, I think. What are deatures??? :mrgreen:
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Gnuus

Post by Gnuus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:12 pm

nuxnamon wrote:i've seen that shootout a few times now and they do the same thing every year and FL is always the best DAW and Ableton among the lowest rated.. i wonder if 3phase is somehow involved.. :?
Well I don't see FL as the best DAW here, but Cubase....!?
http://myspace.com/aftronics
Live 10 Intro | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB Ram | Samaon Graphite 49 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | iPad air | ZOOM TAC-2 | Roland TD11

dokx

Post by dokx » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:20 pm

3phase wrote:
dokx wrote:What the heck, Ableton has no Cd-Ripper and no Mp3-Support! What a shame...

ableton is an italien car..but no ferrari
Fiat then? ;)

Cubase is Mercedes, FL Studio is VW, Logic is Volvo, Live is...Porsche...scr.