Copying automation envelopes from Arrangement to Session.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

Copying automation envelopes from Arrangement to Session.

Post by kb420 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:23 pm

For some reason, if I automate a parameter on Sampler and create an envelope in the Arrangement View, copying that envelope to the Session View doesn't yield the same results. The envelope looks the same, but it sounds different. I even copied the instance of Sampler into another track to make sure there were no conflicts between the Arrangement and the Session Views on the same track, but it's distinctly different. Am I missing something? I'm using 8.2.2. Can anyone confirm this in case it's a bug?
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

kanuck

Re: Copying automation envelopes from Arrangement to Session.

Post by kanuck » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:30 pm

it's a little complicated. The clip envelopes work more as a percentage.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:32 pm

kanuck wrote:it's a little complicated. The clip envelopes work more as a percentage.
Ok. That sort of makes sense when I think about what I'm hearing once I copy the envelope to the Session View. Any tips???
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:05 am

kb420 wrote:
Ok. That sort of makes sense when I think about what I'm hearing once I copy the envelope to the Session View. Any tips???
I forgot how I got around this. I guess it'll be different case to case. Wish I could elaborate but studying for finals right now.

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:37 am

Hi kb420,

It's not a bug, but rather a feature limitation in Live.

Automation envelopes don't exist for Session View clips. When you copied the envelopes from Arrangement, they became modulation envelopes, which means they modulated the given parameter up to the value assigned by its control in the device. But it's not possible to actually change this value with an envelope in the Session View.

Hope this helps,

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:12 am

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi kb420,

It's not a bug, but rather a feature limitation in Live.

Automation envelopes don't exist for Session View clips. When you copied the envelopes from Arrangement, they became modulation envelopes, which means they modulated the given parameter up to the value assigned by its control in the device. But it's not possible to actually change this value with an envelope in the Session View.

Hope this helps,
It helps, but it completely sucks. I'll just bounce the Arrangement clips to audio.

Thanks anyway.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

danger111

Post by danger111 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:23 am

Haha I've been on google now for about an hour and I was looking for answers for this same issue. I like to make everything in arrangement view including the automated audio effects. I want to transfer the files (including the automated audio effects) to session view for live play. So I guess there's no way to work around this ??

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:34 pm

danger111 wrote:Haha I've been on google now for about an hour and I was looking for answers for this same issue. I like to make everything in arrangement view including the automated audio effects. I want to transfer the files (including the automated audio effects) to session view for live play. So I guess there's no way to work around this ??

Bounce everything to audio first. That way you have an audio clip with the effects already recorded in the Session View.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

perplex

Post by perplex » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:45 pm

freeze and paste baby!