All times are UTC

Post subject: Solo on Drum Rack does not work!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:46 pm 

This one is driving me nuts:

When sending midi from track 1 to a drum rack on track 2, and receiving the drum rack audio in track 3, solo on track 3 will not work?

With multi channel VSTs its easy and tidy to do it: by using the External Instruments.
However, trying to do the same thing with a Drum Rack or Instrument Rack is giving me a headache.

Example:

A drum kit with a Multi out VST:
Track 1, midi + audio: VSTi, kick
Track 2, midi + audio: snare

A drum kit with Drum Racks:
Track 1, midi + audio: Drum Rack
Track 2, midi: kick
Track 3, midi: snare
Track 4, audio: kick
Track 5, audio: snare

Post subject: Re: Solo on Drum Rack does not work!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:46 pm 

..this annoys the hell out of me, because I want to have a drum rack like this in my template. Soloing my 8 main groups will not work on audio coming from drum racks, when their audio output is split over multiple group tracks.

The first 3 of my main 8 Mix Groups are:
1 - Kick & Bass
2 - High Drums
3 - Low Drums

I have one Basic Drum Rack Kit: with kick, snare, and cymbals.
Kick is routed to Group 1
Cymbals to Group 2
Snare to Group 3

Now, why cant I solo one of those 3 groups?
Instead, soloing mutes the Drum Rack Kit!!

On Group Track 8 I have Sends, for monitoring purposes. But when I solo it, all Send fx from this Drum Rack Kit gets muted too.

Edit: If it is not possible, even not with M4L, I might consider getting N.I.s Mashine.
But can it be done with Mashine like described above: one basic Drum Kit, and output separate drums to my group tracks in Live?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:31 pm 

Still havent figured it out..
Bought M4L last night. But I was told it doesnt help on this problem!

I think Mashine might be the answare, since it acts as a vst inside Live, it shold work with the External Instrument plug.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:35 am 

Bump!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:51 am 

Aw, screw it! :D
I had the day of yesterday, and spent the whole day trying to find some kind of workaround to this. After 7 hours, the conclusion is: Its not possible!!

So then, lets go for a vst sampler: Battery 3 ftw! The only limitation I can see is that it cant load other vsti's. No biggie atm. It matches up nicely with my 16 drumpads setup, on the APC, which I normaly use for drumracks. At least it will fill the gap while I save up for Maschine.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:29 am 

That actually got me using my brain today! :lol:

But I figured out a workaround for this one. It's true that if you route the Rack's signals out onto individual tracks and then solo one of them the Drum Rack gets muted. You can set up return chains (those will be your Sub-Subgroups) in the Drum Rack itself and then route the individual signals to the specific return chain inside the rack. That means you create 3 return chains inside the rack, one for Kick, one for Snare and one for Cymbals.

You then turn up the send-A faders for all the Kick drums, the send-B for all the Snares, etc. What you then do is to create three ordinary return tracks in your live set. In the Drum Rack you then select A-Return as output for the Kick return chain you created in the Drum Rack. It also works the same way for the other groups you created. If you then solo one of your returns in the live set it works. It just means that you eventually use 8 Return-tracks as subgroups for drums.

The setup I built after your instructions looks like this (I just did it for Kick and Snare):

Hope that helps, somehow!

Cheers,
Matt

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:42 pm 

Hey Matt :)

Yes, its a cool future, and I know about it. If you got swnds to spare, then this is a possible workaround. Hovever, racks are limited to the 6 first sends. I use 8 sends in my template for effects which are auto assigned with a Bome preset, to the 8 top knobs on the APC.

For now, Battery wraped in a Rack solves everything I wanted to do, in combination with the External Instrument plug. And it behaves very similare to Samplers in Drum Racks actually. The envelope editor is better, and you can swap samples very easily, and in many ways. Eks: the kick pad/cell is tied to my kick sample folder. In the envelope editor you can quickly jump between those. :)