ABLETON SHOULD MAKE A STRICLY DJ MODE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andyb19844

ABLETON SHOULD MAKE A STRICLY DJ MODE

Post by andyb19844 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:44 pm

This is just a suggestion to ableton company but you guys should make a interface more user friendly for DJ's. One like Traktors. I love Abletons options and effects are great but I hate have to toggle between channels its dumb. Have a interface that has 4 channel and waveforms on one screen all at once, with EQ's for each channel, and a filter or Delay. Maybe even make all the EQ's look like a DJ mixer or not. You really dont even have to chane that much just make it so i can see my all my EQ's and wave forms at once maybe even effects,,

perplex

Re: ABLETON SHOULD MAKE A STRICLY DJ MODE

Post by perplex » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:48 pm

im going to go out on a limb and just say ableton isn't for you

fisto

Post by fisto » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:50 pm

OR you should get Traktor 8)
I was DJ-ing with Live too but now I'm on traktor and all I can say is: Live is not good for dj-ing after you have wirked with real DJ-software. Would never never change back.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:06 pm

I say dont change live to be geared more towards DJ software, keep moving forward as Live was meant to be. If people wanna DJ with it, they should take it as it is. As previously stated, there is software made for DJing.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm always a bit amazed that DJs even try to use Live for actual DJing, or anything particularly close

Live was originally for electronic musicians to perform their bleepy breaky tunes,and I can totally see that people doing some sort of 'live mashup' DJ performance would find Live perfect for them. But for the more standard DJ it's baffled me, because on the dancefloor when punters hear one of their favourite tunes coming in DO NOT want to hear 18 tons of beatrepeat all over it, or similar. It's just over-working it. Just let the good times flow and keep your over tweaky hands out of the way.

When a performer plays their own tunes then the short-attention-span clip triggering beat-repeat spasms are the expression of the artist themself, so that's what the audience are coming for. But if the audience has come to just dance to big tunes mixed well, then all that extra clippy action is just annoying.

If you just want to play tunes to people, use something else. If you want to create stuff live, then use Live.

studiologic

Post by studiologic » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:34 pm

lets face it... ableton live is bloated... any way you want to cut it... they should divide the product up into multiply products... i know... that would be a headache to maintain... but the current route is not working either...

i know ableton live 1 was not designed for the way i use it (midi/session view/vsti)... but now that i have the ableton bug... in my case... much of the other stuff is a waste... i.e. video...

there must be a happy balance between features and stability... because currently ableton live is bloatware...

p.s. i love ableton live... just saying...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:35 pm

no, it should remain music software.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:06 pm

They are working on the Session view, for iPad 2!
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

studiologic

Post by studiologic » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Tone Deft wrote:no, it should remain music software.
by definition... what is music software?

if ableton divided the functions across multiple products... wouldn't they "all" still be music software?

i feel ableton live currently is serving too many masters... with that being said... all the different functions/features are making ableton live bloatware...

again... maintaining multiple products would be a headache... but i would be willing to pay a few dollars more for a stable environment...

i think the boat load of features is killing lives stability... i would love to sit down and make music without worrying about a crash...

perplex

Post by perplex » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Anubis wrote:They are working on the Session view, for iPad 2!
huh? please elaborate, or link me up

studiologic

Post by studiologic » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Anubis wrote:They are working on the Session view, for iPad 2!
big deal... how about a stable product now!!!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:41 pm

studiologic wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:no, it should remain music software.
by definition... what is music software?

if ableton divided the functions across multiple products... wouldn't they "all" still be music software?

i feel ableton live currently is serving too many masters... with that being said... all the different functions/features are making ableton live bloatware...

again... maintaining multiple products would be a headache... but i would be willing to pay a few dollars more for a stable environment...

i think the boat load of features is killing lives stability... i would love to sit down and make music without worrying about a crash...
taking the piss on DJs not being musical.

it's the age old issue with Live, it can be used in several ways. a DJ wouldn't have a clue the depths a guitar player would use it for and likewise a guitar player would probably shit his pants if he saw a heavy DJ template in use.

I don't DJ or play out live so I'm firmly in the camp that would like to see it become a better production tool. answer to that would be to tell me to get a DAW that's better at production. my answer back is to go get software better suited to DJing.

can Ableton spread their resources to cover all the bases? well, they did just spread their resources thin, look what happened. did they learn and evolve? we'll see.

I trust them to make these decisions. Live 8 is a helluva lot of fun, I'll always have that, AND IT'S STABLE FOR ME.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

wlkngmachine

Post by wlkngmachine » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:35 pm

it would be sick if ableton had a dj mode, maybe even a separate program Ableton DJ, where you can see multiple waveforms at one once, but still uses clips.......to the OP these are the exact reasons im trying to switch to traktor for DJing, but warping all the tracks in ableton, making edits, then rendering and importing into traktor is a bitch, there needs to be a better way!

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:56 pm

Angstrom wrote:on the dancefloor when punters hear one of their favourite tunes coming in DO NOT want to hear 18 tons of beatrepeat all over it, or similar. It's just over-working it. Just let the good times flow and keep your over tweaky hands out of the way.
+ 10000000000000000

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:58 pm

[/quote]big deal... how about a stable product now!!![/quote]

Agree, fix the bugs4live addon first