more latency on a mac? (presonus fp10)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
blablub

more latency on a mac? (presonus fp10)

Post by blablub » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:31 am

hi all...
i recently switched from pc to a new Macbookpro (2,2 ghz quad / 4gb ram / ssd / 15")
my interface (presonus fp10) seems to be not so happy with the macbook...
i had an overall latency of 9.12ms with 88 samples on the pc
now i can run it barely on 88 samples... if i do, latency is on 10.1 ms...

is that normal? for this kindoff setup? i thougt the mbp are alittle bit faster...
or did i forgett to adjust smthing?

any advise/help welcom...
thx
blablub
Last edited by blablub on Sun May 01, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savyurrecords

Re: more latency on a mac?

Post by savyurrecords » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:23 am

It would help a bit if you gave the specs of your PC.

blablub

Post by blablub » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:33 am

it was a win xp machine dual core 2 ghz / 2gb ram / 5400 hdd

on the xp computer i could tell the fp10 to use more or less cpu... wich degreased the latency...
on the mac im only able to work with the buffer size...
greetz

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:19 pm

I think OSX adds an extra safety buffer for core audio whereas this choice is left entirely to the ASIO drivers on Windows, so for some audio interfaces this might result in increased latency if the ASIO driver doesnt add such a big safety buffer.

My experience with several RME and several NI audio interfaces is that performance and latency is similar on a similar CPU betwen windows 7/64 and OSX, but with a DAW running on OSX maintaining clean audio to higher CPU loads, however obviously this will be highly driver dependant - maybe the presonus ASIO drivers are better than the core audio drivers - who knows...

If you really want to dig into a specific example of comparing drivers between OSX and Windows, then RME helpfully document the specifics in the manual for the RME UFX(and I think manuals for babyface/FF-UC/FF-400/FF-800).
Nothing to see here - move along!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun May 01, 2011 10:17 am

blablub wrote:hi all...

is that normal ? for this kindoff setup? i thougt the mbp are alittle bit faster...
or did i forgett to adjust smthing?

any advise/help welcom...
thx
blablub
No, it is not normal ( I have compared with my standby XP notebook, you should get better latency on your new MBP), I suspect bad Presonus installation or corruption, had some issues myself. The problem is that normal new install wont help you have to do this first:
http://support.presonus.com/entries/113 ... c-computer

hopefully that will fix it.

Edit: Actually did the above right now, after noticing that new software was available. The lengthy procedure indeed, must be disappointment for any Mac convert who believed in Papa Noel and "it just works".
Tested on my current project / some 20 tracks, can run on 4.40 ms in, 4.40 ms out, buffer 14 samples. 80% CPU test - from 29 samples up no problems.

blablub

Post by blablub » Sun May 01, 2011 1:07 pm

wow ok... so that sounds promissing...
but i got a question... cause my english is not so good...

13. Release the keys. At this point, your computer should be completely zeroed out and you can reinstall...

does that mean... that i have to re-install the whole system or only the fp10 drivers?
thx alot 4 your help...
blablub

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun May 01, 2011 4:52 pm

blablub wrote:wow ok... so that sounds promissing...
but i got a question... cause my english is not so good...

13. Release the keys. At this point, your computer should be completely zeroed out and you can reinstall...

does that mean... that i have to re-install the whole system or only the fp10 drivers?
thx alot 4 your help...
blablub
No, dont worry that only reset the PRAM, remember that 4 keys trick forever since it can be your life saver when restart does not fix some weird issue, for example your Mac might remember certain ext display or beamer config wrongly and it will repeat same error even after restarts so you have to wipe that wrong "memory", 4 keys trick fixes those kind of issues.