Ableton Audiosuite?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
afrox

Ableton Audiosuite?

Post by afrox » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:50 am

Hello. I'm a new member of the Ableton family, I joined it about a month ago. I need some help in the "plug in" topic, let me try to explain the best I can, cause I'm new in the recording business too.

So, for example: I recorded a voice track, and I want to add an Auto-Tune FX, but not to the whole track but only to a portion of it. It's useful when the key of the song changes and I want to change the Auto-Tune key.

I remember I saw a friend working on ProTools, and the way he worked with this kind of things was "processing" a portion of the track with the Auto-Tune program, but no as a constant plug in activated in the whole song. I don't know if I made myself clear, let's say that I have a song with 10 changes of key, and recording 10 separates tracks with 10 Auto-Tune fx's, eventually will collapse my cpu.

Thanks !!!

PD: I think the ProTool's option was an AudioSuite or something like that. Is that possible on Ableton Live?

majorshake

Re: Ableton Audiosuite?

Post by majorshake » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:19 am

you can change the automation of the effect to only turn it on in a specific moment of the song.
http://soundcloud.com/major-shake <- my music
http://welcomesound.wordpress.com <- my blog about producing music

afrox

Post by afrox » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:06 am

Yes, I know I can turn it on or off every time I need it, but if I'm working let's say, with 12 backing vocals and 2 lead vocals, that would be 14 tracks, for one key of the song, plus 14 more tracks if I want to change the key of the song, not to mention that for this 28 tracks, there's gonna be the plug in open so.. I think there's must be a different way to work this kind of things right?

Tamar UK

Post by Tamar UK » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:30 am

afrox wrote:Yes, I know I can turn it on or off every time I need it, but if I'm working let's say, with 12 backing vocals and 2 lead vocals, that would be 14 tracks, for one key of the song, plus 14 more tracks if I want to change the key of the song, not to mention that for this 28 tracks, there's gonna be the plug in open so.. I think there's must be a different way to work this kind of things right?
Not sure what you are trying to acheive but you arent going to change an entire key of a set of vocal tracks without it sounding very processed and strange, unless that is the effect you are looking for.
Generally though, if you find you are running out of processing power, try freezing or flattening some tracks, creating submixes and bouncing those down etc.
If you are worried about this destroying work, make a copy of your set first within the project and then edit away.

Paul

afrox

Post by afrox » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Hey Tamar, thanks for the reply. It was like an example the 12 backing vocals and all that. I was wondering if there's a way you can process a track with a plug in, without having it open all the time. Like Pro Tools does with the AudioSuite, you can select a portion of the track and then process it with a plug in effect. In my case, with Autotune for example, I record a track, then when the key of the song change, I need to add an extra track and open again the Autotune plug in for that track. At the end, if I have many vocals tracks, my cpu starts to bleed and the session can't handle more plug-ins.

Tamar UK

Post by Tamar UK » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Ah ok i see what you mean i think, switches the plugin off when not in use.
You could try using automation to do it, you dont even have to set anything special in Live, just switch off the plugin while recording and on when needed and you will record a seperate automation to switch it on and off at specific points in the track.

Tamar UK

Post by Tamar UK » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:37 pm

majorshake wrote:you can change the automation of the effect to only turn it on in a specific moment of the song.
*note to myself - read the whole thread before duplicating suggestion :)

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Sun May 01, 2011 3:07 am

Audiosuite is different than automation. It's creating a new audio file with the processing applied. The way to do this in Live is to A) record it to an audio track (print it) or B) freeze the track w/ the effect (this will create a hidden new file) - you can then Flatten or preferably drag the freeze part to an audio track (creates a twice looped audio file in Session mode that you will want to crop). You can then go back and mute/disable the effect track. Record to audio, freeze & flatten, or freeze & drag to new audio track. Should work. Audiosuite & Freeze are actually pretty similar ideas, as far as I know.

afrox

Post by afrox » Sun May 01, 2011 8:56 pm

Thank you very much "Anybody Human", I received a few replies for my post, but people kept talking about the automation but the problem wasn't there. I'll like to thank all of the users who tried to help me anyway, thank you guys.

So, freezing and flattering the tracks worked for me. I'm new in the Ableton world and haven't mess around with this options. This worked for me, and I hope it'll work for other users with the same problem.

Thanks

JagPaw

Post by JagPaw » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:08 am

Wow! I can't believe the terrible (and condescending) responses you've gotten so far!

So, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. You are correct that Pro Tools has what are called AudioSuite plugins which can be "applied" to a region (like a "clip" in ableton), thus saving a lot of processing power by not having effects applied in Real-Time. Audiosuite automatically creates a new file on your hard drive right next to the original, but with the new effect on on it, and then replaces it in the session/track leaving the original still available, if needed, in the region list! It's essential for recording engineer's and producers who record large complicated sessions! So I'm right there with you in wishing this feature were also a part of Ableton software. Unfortunately, I'm finding that it is not.

There is some talk of this track "freezing" which I think may be similar except for an entire track instead of just a region. This might be a pain so I'm thinking the best option in your case would be to export the affected tracks and then re-import them into a new session. Ableton does have a nifty export feature that allows you to quickly export a single track or stems of all your tracks. Let me know if that helps. You'll have to use the arrangement view to get this done!

-Shaun
jagpaw.com
soundcloud.com/jagpaw

JagPaw

Post by JagPaw » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:20 am

Here's a video about freezing. The thing about this method is that you'd probably want to make seperate tracks for each Key that the song modulates to... so you could end up with more tracks but, in the end, no instances of auto-tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsmiRiC ... re=related
soundcloud.com/jagpaw