Which microphone is this?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Schnauzer

Which microphone is this?

Post by Schnauzer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:37 am

This is doing my head in.
This is the mic Robert Henke used in his granulator video, and now I see this turning up in this vid. (making of Isam Sounds)

http://youtu.be/jbJwyTkCJk0

anybody can shed some light on this?
and does this mic come with a white laboratory coat?

....must...resist...buying...more....gear.... :)
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
www.schnauzerstudios.com

Tamar UK

Re: Which microphone is this?

Post by Tamar UK » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:47 am

fcarroll

Post by fcarroll » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:49 am

iMac, MacBook Pro, Ableton Live 8 Suite,Ableton PUSH Komplete 8, Logic Studio,Launchpad x 2, iPad (Lemur), M-Audio Keystudio, Akai MPD18, ...

Schnauzer

Post by Schnauzer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks,

anybody knows why use a measurement mic for this type of recordings?
Can I raise a practical question at this point? Are we gonna do "Stonehenge" tomorrow?
www.schnauzerstudios.com

chrk

Post by chrk » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:42 am

Schnauzer wrote:Thanks,

An omnidirectional polar pattern and spectral linearity suit the application quite well. They simply don't add much of their own 'character'.
Last edited by chrk on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schnauzer

Post by Schnauzer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:14 pm

great,
Everything is answered then.
Thanks everybody.

onwards and upwards!
www.schnauzerstudios.com

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:05 pm

chrk wrote:
Schnauzer wrote:Thanks,

An omnidirectional polar pattern and spectral linearity suit the application quite well. The simply don't add much of their own 'character'.

A flat frequency response comes hand in hand with the omnidirectional pattern.. so any measurement mike has that

But the omnidirectional pattern is actually a problem because our ear and listening sense is not really omnidirectional.. there are some wide kidney polar pattern designs that are actually the best for the what you hear is what you get fx...
with an internal highboost to compensate for the diffuse field.. so a mike that aims to capture the sound of the real event on tape is usually not a measurement mike.

An omniderectional mike will give you a flat frequency response but the room is allways part of the recording and therefore the sound event appears always a little distant and hollow compared to what you have heard in reality before..

Also.. the frequency response of a mike dont tells much about transient accuracy or other qualitys of the sound.. there are measurement mikes out there that are just for pa adjustment but horrible on recordings. I havent tested them.. but wouldnt be surprised if a behringer falls into that cattegory..

I just say that because it seems to be fashionable to show this scientivic style mikes in youtube videos lately.. more like a interior design fashion magazin factor..

However this shiny videos shouldnt hide that For creative soundsourcing any mike can be interesting, especially when you own a good preamp or grainshredder it afterwards anyway.

i have sampled some african drums with a 10 euro mike that internal distorts on the bass volume of the drums allready.. Hoorrrible :mrgreen: .but as sample... so much better than just a clean sample..

So as long you are into making your own sounds, what is a good thing, any mike can do..
you can start just right away with the most shitty childrens toy and call it style..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Tamar UK

Post by Tamar UK » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:05 pm

3phase wrote: .............So as long you are into making your own sounds, what is a good thing, any mike can do..
you can start just right away with the most shitty childrens toy and call it style..
Hmmm that's my technique busted then :)

Schnauzer

Post by Schnauzer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:56 pm

Tamar UK wrote:
3phase wrote: .............So as long you are into making your own sounds, what is a good thing, any mike can do..
Hmmm that's my technique busted then :)

lol
www.schnauzerstudios.com

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun May 01, 2011 10:06 am

3phase wrote:Also.. the frequency response of a mike dont tells much about transient accuracy or other qualitys of the sound.. there are measurement mikes out there that are just for pa adjustment but horrible on recordings. I havent tested them.. but wouldnt be surprised if a behringer falls into that cattegory..
I wouldnt use them as direct mics, however many of these mics (the behringer one included) make for excellent room ambience recording mics to use alongside the direct mics. I have two of them - the behringer I got a long time ago for use with a live pa auto-feedback killer system and also what looks the same that came with the IK multimedia ARC system. Using the pair of them spread well apart in addition to directs gives really nice ambience.
Nothing to see here - move along!