How do I stop feedback when recording audio?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
le_phonquiste

How do I stop feedback when recording audio?

Post by le_phonquiste » Sun May 01, 2011 10:21 am

I'm trying to record a sample into a live set audio track and keep getting massive feedback.

I'm running a cable from my laptop's headphone jack into a mixer and back into the laptop's microphone jack, but as soon as I turn the levels up I get the feedback. Weirdly I don't get this problem if I carry out the same process in Audacity. Also, the audio track seems to be picking up bckground noise constantly, even when the levels are down.

Please someone tell me how to stop this before I go nuts.

DSPI

Re: How do I stop feedback when recording audio?

Post by DSPI » Sun May 01, 2011 9:40 pm

I had the exact same problem and it turned out the laptop's mic was causing it. Go to control panel>sound and make sure the mic's turned off, or down to zero.
Worked for me!
8)

LeifonMars

Re: How do I stop feedback when recording audio?

Post by LeifonMars » Sun May 01, 2011 9:52 pm

I don't get this at all: why are you trying to record via external mixer? Why not just dragging and dropping the sample file into your Live set?
Anyhow, feedback comes because you are sending the same signal you're recording back to the master, which sends it back to output of your laptop just to be sent back to the track you're recording to.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad