Is it ok to leave your monitors on for days at a time?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
perplex

Is it ok to leave your monitors on for days at a time?

Post by perplex » Mon May 02, 2011 7:43 pm

I have some yamaha hs-80m's w/ the hw100 sub, and sometimes i just dont feel like reaching back there to switch them on/off. Is it ok if I leave them on for a few days? Or should they should be turned off when not in use?

Tarekith

Re: Is it ok to leave your monitors on for days at a time?

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 02, 2011 8:16 pm

My studio monitors are on pretty much all the time, I rarely turn them off.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Mon May 02, 2011 8:41 pm

I've the same gear. Not really a problem with the speakers, although of course it is spending more electricity. There's little circuitry, aside from a tube, that will benefit from remaining warmed up, but there's not much of a down side, aside from the fact that if the wiring and voltage is spotty in your walls, or you are getting a lot of spring storms, you could be exposing them to some fluctuations. I typically keep them on when I know I'm creating of spider web of cables, and maybe don't want to risk some signal popping in if I turned them back on again.

How do you find the hs10w? Anything in particular you like listening to with them? You find them good at clearing out sub muck? I had a couple tracks which I brought to a mastering house before I had a sub, and they practically had to suck half the life out of one track because I didn't appreciate how much energy I had wasted in frequencies below the range I was listening to.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon May 02, 2011 8:43 pm

A few months ago, I turned my Alesis Mk2 on and one of them basically exploded.
A capacitor burned out and it was making loud pops and I could see blue sparks in the air hole. I unplugged it and watched it smoke.
Dunno what would have happened if I wasn't there at the time, since I usually left them on. The best case scenario there would be a short circuit.

How well are you insured? :wink:

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Mon May 02, 2011 8:50 pm

A minor thing that I would consider is that turning any electrical appliance on and off is stressing certain
components within the circuitry.

If something is always active then those components will suffer less stress.......?(studio monitors, amps, soundcards, etc. etc.)

But, if those components are not used much then.....................

Awaiting heated discussion here......... :mrgreen:

Rinsemeister

Post by Rinsemeister » Mon May 02, 2011 8:56 pm

perplex wrote:I have some yamaha hs-80m's w/ the hw100 sub, and sometimes i just dont feel like reaching back there to switch them on/off. Is it ok if I leave them on for a few days? Or should they should be turned off when not in use?
Lazy fooker.... :mrgreen:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 02, 2011 9:05 pm

i think that the general consensus is yes.

i just turned mine off after having them on for over a week. i only turn them off to save power.

still, hoffman2k brings up a good point - if everything is off, the chances of it bursting into flames is greatly diminished.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon May 02, 2011 9:29 pm

H20nly wrote: still, hoffman2k brings up a good point - if everything is off, the chances of it bursting into flames is greatly diminished.
May want to ask yourself how many other people will be affected if your studio catches fire...

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon May 02, 2011 9:36 pm

oblique strategies wrote:
H20nly wrote: still, hoffman2k brings up a good point - if everything is off, the chances of it bursting into flames is greatly diminished.
May want to ask yourself how many other people will be affected if your studio catches fire...
we can make more people. studio gear and tracks are precious.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Mon May 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Got the same system! mine is mostly on the most of the week i guess i am addicted to my Yamaha's.....................Love Them! 8)
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Tue May 03, 2011 6:51 am

All my gear is always off unless I am actually using it. However, I don't turn it off if I'm going out for a short time, say less than an 30 minutes.

Simply put two things kill electronic components - excess current and heat.

Switching things on (and sometimes off) causes current surges. A well designed circuit can cope with these things in normal use, but we have probably all experienced a time when a device fails when you first switch it on.

Leaving things on for long periods of time creates heat inside the units. This will shorten the life of many components, eg. electrolytic capacitors and semiconductors. If a unit overheats and burns out that's down to bad design - but long periods of heat will also take their toll.

Older semiconductors have a limited lifespan that is determined by heat. Warmer devices will often fail before ones operated at cooler temperatures. Newer parts suffer similarly but the expected lifespan is now very long at normal temperatures.

Increased temperatures also speed up the oxidising of contact surfaces and exacerbate any corrosive actions - such as experienced in marine applications and coastal areas.

But dampness also causes problems and switching stuff on tends to dry off any moisture that has collected.

Some components like to have current flowing through them from time to time, eg. electrolytics and many motors. Many mechanical things work better if they are moved from time to time, eg. keyboard contacts, some switches and pots.

One other thing comes to mind is that warm things tend to draw air around them. This can cause the build up of dust which can then impede the action of cooling. It can also gunge up mechanical contacts. Anything with a fan is particularly prone to this.

So there is no simple answer. Suffice to say that, in the words of Bryan Ferry, 'nothing lasts forever of that I'm sure...'.

EpikureeR

Post by EpikureeR » Tue May 03, 2011 9:10 am

for being so lazy in turning them off
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31EF7r5ogZL.jpg
you could use a wireextension with a switch
epikureer

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Tue May 03, 2011 10:03 am

If everyone turned their monitors off when they werent using them then enough energy would be saved to ensure the survival of polar bears for another twenty years. fact.

dr_loop

Post by dr_loop » Tue May 03, 2011 10:46 am

If everyone turned their monitors off when they werent using them then enough energy would be saved to ensure the survival of polar bears for another twenty years. fact.
+10000000

Just about a month after Fukushima, I'm shocked how shortsighted and selfish ppl are who consider themselves to be the elite of human creativity.
ANYTHING which uses any substantial amount of electricity shoul be turned *OFF* IF NOT IN USE !!!
Anything else is STEALING the live of future generations!!

abl385

Post by abl385 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:13 am

The Leveller wrote:If everyone turned their monitors off when they werent using them then enough energy would be saved to ensure the survival of polar bears for another twenty years. fact.
+1 Give bears some love!