How to transition to Ableton Live after 20 years of Cubase?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3phase

Re: How to transition to Ableton Live after 20 years of Cubase?

Post by 3phase » Tue May 03, 2011 11:32 pm

AceLuby wrote:
3phase wrote:
in relation to the tracks made with cubase thats allmost correct..
Who cares? That doesn't make it better, it makes it more popular. You can make good sounding tracks in Live. If you personally can't do it that doesn't mean it isn't possible.
sure you can..but only when you fight against its dull sound... pretty similar like mixing with a behringer desk..of cause you can make a good sounding record with it ..with a lot of work and carefull tuning..

buts so much easier with a studer..and when you put effort in the studer mix..whooo..

and than the little performance details like stability.. precision placement of midi and automation events.. a file handling that is able to load 3 year old files without needing to find the ablton dumb search its own folder.. propper timecode handling..sys ex support..multichannel midi tracks and editing.. multiple screen support..load while pay..omf im/export and and and

sure ableton live has also exclusiv features.. but in the end of the day many will return to cubase earlier or later..
when steinberg realizes and corrects their mistake of not having followed opcodes example, and included a meta arrange layer that allows pattern based composition.

I wonder when the others realize that the total abandoning of a pattern concept was a mistake.. The best arrange sequencers are the ones that combine pattern and timeline based sequencing.. and while ableton live is one of the best arange sequencers in this regard..it sucks as daw from the quality side of its audio and midi implementations and stability of operation AND design.. Live 1 was performing better in some regards than the actual version.. its hasnt been really well developed in the last 10 years..

It´s just like a behringer daw. :lol: magix musik maker feature wonderland maxed up but shaky and allways a bit duller sounding than the real gear..
beware of B ware
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue May 03, 2011 11:49 pm

as an added bonus to using Ableton Live you get unlimited rants by 3Phase. watch as 3Phase talks shit over and over again on every post. almost always playing devil's advocate and reminding us that Live is not all peaches and cream... that's right... Live is hard. it's truly a hard knocks Live when you're used to Pro-Tools, Cubase or Logic. Some people say Live is good, not 3Phase, no way. He likes to remind us all that Live's a bitch sometimes and you can't just live Live laying down. So take your Live into your own hands, but don't say he didn't warn you!

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Tue May 03, 2011 11:55 pm

H20nly wrote:as an added bonus to using Ableton Live you get unlimited rants by 3Phase. watch as 3Phase talks shit over and over again on every post. almost always playing devil's advocate and reminding us that Live is not all peaches and cream... that's right... Live is hard. it's truly a hard knocks Live when you're used to Pro-Tools, Cubase or Logic. Some people say Live is good, not 3Phase, no way. He likes to remind us all that Live's a bitch sometimes and you can't just live Live laying down. So take your Live into your own hands, but don't say he didn't warn you!
if only i could fit this into my signature

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed May 04, 2011 12:08 am

H20nly wrote:as an added bonus to using Ableton Live you get unlimited rants by 3Phase. watch as 3Phase talks shit over and over again on every post. almost always playing devil's advocate and reminding us that Live is not all peaches and cream... that's right... Live is hard. it's truly a hard knocks Live when you're used to Pro-Tools, Cubase or Logic. Some people say Live is good, not 3Phase, no way. He likes to remind us all that Live's a bitch sometimes and you can't just live Live laying down. So take your Live into your own hands, but don't say he didn't warn you!

exactly.. now we let the op explore live in a balanced way where he dont has to question himself every time when he might find certain implementations in live a but shaky, because they most of the time are.... independent from what the 99% tenor on this forum is.. live is far from perfect..its actually pretty clever designed unperfection that leaves room for many upgrades to come.. An when somebody from a classical daw he needs to learn to do a few things in different ways.. and ..its a live with some inovative possebilitys but absolutly no comfort..its a 3 times as much moves daw.. so give up on comfort but enjoy the free experimantation only a pattern based concept allows.
And when you might find the sound a bit shaded.. render all the track down and di a mixdown in cubase..or rewire live into cubase for mixdown..
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed May 04, 2011 3:25 pm

3phase wrote:

exactly.. now we let the op explore live in a balanced way where he dont has to question himself every time when he might find certain implementations in live a but shaky, because they most of the time are.... independent from what the 99% tenor on this forum is.. live is far from perfect..its actually pretty clever designed unperfection that leaves room for many upgrades to come.. An when somebody from a classical daw he needs to learn to do a few things in different ways.. and ..its a live with some inovative possebilitys but absolutly no comfort..its a 3 times as much moves daw.. so give up on comfort but enjoy the free experimantation only a pattern based concept allows.
And when you might find the sound a bit shaded.. render all the track down and di a mixdown in cubase..or rewire live into cubase for mixdown..
How can live color the sound in a final mix, but not when you render the individual tracks down?
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed May 04, 2011 5:58 pm

AceLuby wrote:
3phase wrote:

How can live color the sound in a final mix, but not when you render the individual tracks down?

or when you re-wire it?

pcf

Post by pcf » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Hey everyone, thanks for your input. It's very appreciated, believe me.

For now I will stick to Cubase, I just work much faster and better in it and it feels much more natural for me. And of course I dread a long transition phase with a lot of headache trying to find out things I already know how to do in Cubase.

Plus:
- the fact that Live 8 doesn't have "ghost copies"/"shared copies" is a big problem for me, since I make repetitive music and don't want to have to manually copy back the original part etc.
- I just like the MIDI Note Editor in Cubase much better, it seems to have many more features and workability
- the fact that you can't rearrange the windows is a bit of a problem, I think the screen becomes a bit "hard to work with" when you can't maximize stuff or move windows around

Live is an incredible piece of software, and I'll probably have another look at a later version of it. For now I'll stick to Cubase (for producing) and Traktor (for DJ'ing).

Thanks!

evon

Post by evon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:21 pm

I guess this type of Cubase/PT/Logic/Live debate will always be around. However, each time it arises the consensus is usually the same. They all are really different tools that the musicians/producers use to complete their projects. Each one has its own special area where it excels.

Cubase in my experience, seems a little more user friendly to the user who puts a lot more emphasis on having the right sound ready-made and used to the linear type approach to recording. Live on the other hand seems to excel in the ease of use in writing/putting down ideas.

So we have the best of both worlds, so no need to fuss. No one DAW can ever have all the features required...never!
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:42 pm

pcf wrote:Hey everyone, thanks for your input. It's very appreciated, believe me.

I make repetitive music and don't want to have to manually copy back the original part etc.
Funnily.. this is the exact reason why I use Live, as it is much easier for me to repeat arrangement parts using clips. But in my case I grew up on Live, Live being my first real Daw and am only just now looking at Cubase. Also, I find it just as intriguing arranging in Cubase. It is a little different, but fun also.
fe real!