Monomachine

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
dethdeth

Monomachine

Post by dethdeth » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:27 am

anyone own or use one before.. thoughts? is it really the best on the market. (fm) oh and i'm not interested in deep trancecore, just noisy pop sounds.

what are your thoughts on the monomachine vs. say.. a nord lead 2X.
i could get a 2X now or save me pennies for the mono...
xoxo
Last edited by dethdeth on Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:31 am

So cool.......drooollll.....
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
Inner Portal Studio - Professional Audio Mastering

nf0

Post by nf0 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:48 am

it's the bollox!! 8)

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:13 am

Love is a very splending thing and so to is a Monomachine.
Don't own one (heaven forbid I'd need to rob a bank).
When my DAW was being configured at Planet Awave I did get to have a jolly good play with one.
Sounds rather superb I might add and is uber sexy in the flesh.
Pretty innovative for a newish hardware release IMHO .
If I had the money I'd take it over a Machinedrum any day of the week.
I'd take the Mono over a Nord 2 myself and just grab Synth 1 for use in Live instead (it sounds close enough to a Nord in the mix anyway) .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:51 am

discodsp's "Discovery" is a nord emluator deep down, even takes nord patches!

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:10 am

The Monomachine is, well what in a name eh?, mono. But has six tracks of them. And some tracks can have chord on them, but not in the standard way. On some machines you can set oscillator 2 to e.g. +3 semitones and osc 3 to +7, so you get a minor chord ... but its still 'mono', as in playing only one key at the time ...

a Nord 2X is something else, 16 Voices, 4 parts multi timbral.

The Monomachine sounds very 'Solvent - Apples and Synthesizers' to me, so yeah, poppy sound are possible.

The real power of this machine for me lies in the sequencer, that is able to change any parameters for every step. A bit like Operator + clip envelopes.

Go try somewhere (friend, shop, studio) I guess, it's not a cheap machine so may want to be realy shure you need it.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:23 am

yes, the MnM is insane. as they say above the sequencer is awesome and very powerful and the synthesis is 8O

check out the Elektron site, they have a big list of "representatives" all over the world. these people let you come over their house and play around. i found one near me and went over there. dude had the tabletop, the keyboard, a Sid and the Machinedrum. i was real impressed with the MnM. getting one has been on my to-do list for a while now. see if you can find one near you to try out.

kmo

Post by kmo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:24 am

I gots one
actually, the monomachine does have a polyphonic mode.
you can play any patch polyphonically (6 voice polyphony)
it sounds a amazing, really cuts through a mix, and has a presence that I don't notice on softsynths or virtual analog synths

one major drawback for me is user-friendliness
the interface is brilliant for calling up and performing patterns & sequences of patterns
but not so fluent when you just want to audition (flip through) sounds to use in a song
you can't even name patches (single sounds) that you create!
you can save and name Kits, which consist of 6 patches

VERY original and aggressive sounding though...
MacBook Pro - OS X 10.4 - 2GHz Intel - 2GB RAM - MOTU Ultralite - Kontrol49 - Remote 49 - Moog Voyager

proteron

Post by proteron » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:00 am

poppy sounds = definitely. the sequencer really makes the device though. i have mine syncing a machinedrum and playing an indigo2... not even hooked up to the computer anymore, though considering putting on Live as the master clock and dropping in loops that way, or samples.. though there is not much need.

solvent sounds are very easy to come by, as someone said. it's actually more variable each time i go to it.
--
chris (proteron)