Should I or Shouldn't I.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Grey Thriller

Should I or Shouldn't I.

Post by Grey Thriller » Fri May 06, 2011 9:04 am

Im currently using Live 8 and enjoying what the programe does, I never studied it but did watch some tutorials on how to use it. Now I have the opportunity to study music production part - time. The only problem or I don't know if I should call it that, is the course is done using Reason 5,Cubase 5, Pro Tools 9 and Wavelab 6.

After doing this course will I still be able to make music in Live 8 as I have been doing or will my knowledge of how to use the programe be wider and more clearer.

Cezband

Re: Should I or Shouldn't I.

Post by Cezband » Fri May 06, 2011 9:16 am

From a knowledge perspective, it's a no-brainer. The more you learn, the more you know. Good production is good production, no matter what software you use.

The thing to consider, at least in my opinion, is whether the cost of the course (in terms of both time and money) is worth the results (the qualification you receive, the knowledge you gain).
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

Grey Thriller

Post by Grey Thriller » Fri May 06, 2011 11:58 am

Thanks for your input it really means a lot.
The course is 8 weeks long and cost just over 2 Grand, so I'm now considering it as you say good production is good production, however will it be difficult to make use of what I've learn't using Cubase and putting it into use in Live.

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Fri May 06, 2011 12:10 pm

Where are you based?

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri May 06, 2011 12:46 pm

A good engineer who is use to working correctly on hardware will still be a better audio producer using ableton live than someone who is clueless about production techniques.

Of course, it depends on how good the course it as teaching you general production skills, but generally I would have thought the answer is it will defeinately help alot.
Nothing to see here - move along!

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri May 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Grey Thriller wrote:Thanks for your input it really means a lot.
The course is 8 weeks long and cost just over 2 Grand, so I'm now considering it as you say good production is good production, however will it be difficult to make use of what I've learn't using Cubase and putting it into use in Live.
I don't see why not, you'll just have a slight learning curve as there are some things that cubase does differently (better) than live and vise versa.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 06, 2011 12:58 pm

...cubase/live is a hammer...
your hammering a wall

are u making a wall or making a house?...

its a tool aimed at helping u create components... dont loose sight of the song because of the components or the tool...

i hope i made myself clear ;)
MBP - Ultralite MK3 - Genelec 8020 & 8030 - BCR2000 - padKONTROL - NordRack 2

Grey Thriller

Post by Grey Thriller » Fri May 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Baie dankie/Thank you very much for everyone's input.. I once was blind but now I see.
By the way I'm based in Cape Town, South Africa.