Help ... controlling drum rack with V-Drum (external MIDI)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
MAGNETO_66

Help ... controlling drum rack with V-Drum (external MIDI)

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi everybody ... i really would appreciate some suggestion about this matter ... my band's drummer has a V-drum but instead of using its internal sounds, we what to use its pads to drive a track on live with Drum rack. This way, we could use all the drum sounds i programmed and i can even change drum kits for every son, using the chain selector ... Of course we use an external MIDI-TO USB interface that connects my notebook with the V-Drum... Everything seems to work fine But we're in a big trouble with open and closed hihat sounds ... With its internal sounds, V-Drum plays a closed or an open hihat depending on the "position" of the pedal, giving the same note number so we can't get two different sounds from drum rack device on Live. There's some setting you can manage on V-Drum in order to make it send a different note number when the drummer releases the pedal (open HH) But it seems to work "quite random", He can't get the sound he wants in a reliable way ... sometimes the hh sounds open even when he wants to have closed sound (i mean, he holds the pedal pressed) ... Did anyone face the same problem ? If so, please i need some suggetsion
Thanks in advance ... :)
M.
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

matthewordie

Re: Help ... controlling drum rack with V-Drum (external MIDI)

Post by matthewordie » Mon May 09, 2011 2:48 pm

What Midi Controller and Hi Hat pad are you using? Are you using electronic sounds or acoustic sounds? Because I never found drum rack to be that great with natural sounds. You'd be better off using a drum VST like EZ Drummer or Addictive Drums.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon May 09, 2011 6:00 pm

Ive found the best way to do this is to simply use the foot controller to modulate the decay time of the HH envelope and not bother with two HH sounds, or have two near identical sounds but different lengths and use the foot CC to crossfade between them. Adding an extra sound for the Pdeal note is easier, but (IRC and its been a while), v-drum norally sends the open HH note until it fully closed, while often results in abrupt odd sounding changes when played - hence modulating the envelope or crossfading.

Vae a good look at the midi notes and recorded CC#4 together - makes it more obvious exactly what is going on.
Nothing to see here - move along!

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:44 am

hey guys i have a friend coming over w/ a v-drum set just to record some loops. are you simply setting up a drum trigger, midi input from the TD-XX and thats it? how are you compensating for latency just on the track itself?

Edit: he has the TD-12, looks like only one output :( bummer