Effect as insert or send - dry/wet send channel

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jeroen

Effect as insert or send - dry/wet send channel

Post by Jeroen » Tue May 10, 2011 5:08 am

Just a short question. A lot of effects and presents have dry/wet settings like reverb, and the presets work out fine on insert effects. Do people use 100% wet effects on send channels? It seems a bit weird that if you apply the same effect on a send channel it actually starts to work as a normal volume booster if it has a dry/wet setting?

Work a bit isolated, so not sure whether there is a "best practice"

J
Life is made of stories not atoms

Cezband

Re: Effect as insert or send - dry/wet send channel

Post by Cezband » Tue May 10, 2011 10:59 am

Personally, if it goes on a send then I set it completely wet. I don't really see the point of doing it any other way - as you say, it just becomes a volume booster otherwise.

I'd assume that most of the time, the dry/wet setting is mainly there for use when used as an insert.
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Wed May 11, 2011 3:25 am

Thanks for the feedback, and indeed this seems to make sense to you, not just me
Life is made of stories not atoms

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Wed May 11, 2011 6:01 am

It's pretty much standard practice to set any FX device on a Return Channel to 100%. So yes, your thinking on this is completely in line with common studio / producing approaches.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir