Hey Ableton, how's that RISC version of Live coming along?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
hacktheplanet

Hey Ableton, how's that RISC version of Live coming along?

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu May 12, 2011 6:56 pm

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/05/05/apple-dumps-intel-from-laptop-lines/ wrote: The short story is that Apple is moving the laptop line, and presumably desktops too, to ARM based chips as soon as possible. With A15/Eagle allowing more than 32-bit memory access, things look up, but it seems silly to do so before the full 64 bit cores come in the following generation. Nvidia is directly telling certain favored analysts that they will have Denver out in Q4 of 2012, maybe Q1/2013, and that uses the full on 64-bit ARM instruction set. It won’t be out by then, but that gives you a good estimation of when that ISA will break cover from one vendor or other. Think mid-2013.
I really hope this doesn't happen. Making the transition from PPC-> Intel took far too long for me since so many developers had to rewrite their code. Now they'll have to do it all over again. It's enough to drive a man back to Windows!

Khazul

Re: Hey Ableton, how's that RISC version of Live coming along?

Post by Khazul » Fri May 13, 2011 1:50 pm

Perhpas there is something new on the horizon to run iOS positioned between iOS devices and macbook air, or maybe even replacing the air?

I cant imagin the macbook pro switching off the mainstream intel processor and support chipset technology anytime soon - I should think apple have done quite well finanically out of the move - picking up alot of sales to windows users that they would have never have got otherwise and wont hold onto if they switch to something else.

Lets face it - how many people here made the move to a macbook pro *because* you can stick windows on it as well meaning you only need one laptop and prbbaly would never have invested anywhere near as much in apple gear otherwise?

Im definately in that camp - I would probaly have a high end windows laptop and the cheapest mac mini I could find otherwise (for iOS development only). I probably wouldnt be running my studio mostly off OSX now, instead using windows.

If they move in 2-3 years, then I probably would move back to windows for running high performance software and let the MBP slowly slip into being a pure iOS dev machine as it ages and ceases to be fast enough for whatever the other software I might be running by then.

Even if a new scaled up ARM could compete on performance and included some hardware assist for running windows, I have to wondeor if its windows support would come anywhere near as good as the current MBPs which seem to be among the best windows laptops around. I didnt consider eve the 2010 MBPs good enough as windows machines, so didnt jump back then. Would seem crazy if after havign got to where they are, they jumped again.

Would sure piss off all those plugin and DAW developers would have just got over the intel move - sure the OS and APIs might be the same, but there are allways loads of quirks to deal with which means its allways never just a re-compile and test.
Nothing to see here - move along!

jeffplaysmoog

Post by jeffplaysmoog » Fri May 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Remember, Microsoft is also porting Windows 8 to ARM processors... this does SEEM to be a nascent trend for the entire industry. I think it will take awhile for Apple/MS to make the shift but it seems logical that if a company can produce low cost and effective chips like Apple can, that are tailored made for the device, then the switch to ARM could be a good move... it just has to be low impact on the consumer side of things. I think that the Intel move was very successful myself...
Mac Book Pro 2.33ghz, 2gig Ram, OS 10.5, Ableton Live 8 Suite, APC40

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri May 13, 2011 3:35 pm

And intel have at time in the past made ARM processor as well - strongarm etc - dont know if they still do.
Didnt know Win8 was being ported as well, though it doesnt suprise me. Windows CE was technically the first attempt at porting windows to the ARM :)

One nice thing about ARM - they are primarily a technology licensing company - its pretty much upto you what else you stick on the die as well - and I guess this was ultimately the appeal to smartphone world.

Even when I was working on the first of them - we were customising all sorts and working closely with ARM on the on-die I/O stuff. Allways liked that CPU - allways liked its assembler programming - been programming them on an off right from the very first ones back in the acorn/apple/vlsi days of ARM even if ive lost tracks of the details these days - or really since the ARM7-ARM10 era...
Nothing to see here - move along!