Monikers

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
reticent

Monikers

Post by reticent » Sat May 14, 2011 5:19 am

I need a good recording alias. I've made several ambient tracks but I don't have an alias.. several that I have come up with;

Reticent
Back (last name)
Ascetic Bliss

Any ideas?

eddiex

Re: Monikers

Post by eddiex » Sat May 14, 2011 7:27 am

isn't there an app for that? :wink: i don't really have any clever nick name ideas for you.....but.....i have always dug the one name moniker..or a cool variation of your own name....a thesaurus would be an awesome place to start looking.....my only opinion about the names you put up....please don't use ASCETIC BLISS for ambient music.....it is kind of cliche'........ and what ever you do.....don't put "bear" any where in your name...... there are like umpteen "bear" bands/recording artists....its almost a joke
i have always thought you can judge a moniker by how douchy (or not) you sound introducing yourself as said moniker out loud.
as in, "good evening ladies and gentlemen i am "autumn's somber requiem" (when everyone knows your name is ernie finnegan and you live in your moms basement) this song is called "ironic distance."
anyhow good luck.....i hope some of this helps
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

merges

Post by merges » Tue May 17, 2011 12:59 am

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 17, 2011 2:11 am

when creating a name three things come to mind -
#1 never use raw words or concepts which are easy to find, like a movie title, or a common word . If you came up with it that easy, then 3,000,000 other people on the internet have probably also named their band that.

#2 It helps if it evoke what you are producing, or at least tie in to the scene. Help people understand what you do, especially if you are sticking to one genre. Flipping through a rack of bands - spot the ambient act :"Fuck Weasel, Shit Biscuit, Stig Nasty, Astralessence, Putrid Gizzard"

So if your music is of the 'intelligently' chin scratchy ambient you can use word combinations which relate to being 'intelligent' or discerning. Acumen, lens, ontology, identity, Descartes, Spinoza, reason.

#3 make something that is google-able (note: "back" and "reticent" are not going to get good google ranks). So slam two words together to make a nonsense word: Acumens, Ontolartes, Spinozen. Alternatively make a mini phrase. Acumen's Lens, Ontological Drift, Descartes Ghost. Chop some bits off : Acume , Tolart , Inozen

etc etc.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 2:15 am

and something nebs and people from the us tend to forget..check discogs wether the moniker is taken allready.. nothing is worse than guys that take theier names form other bands
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

condra

Post by condra » Tue May 17, 2011 3:09 am

I like my ambient noodlers to have scientific references in their names.
Here are my suggestions:

Endless Waves
Heven Stalking
The Particle Zoo
Higgs Boson
Reducable Complexity
Zebrafish
Dark Matter

And yes I'm aware that some of these may have been thought up before, but as long as any of these cats have less than a couple of thousand fans on Last FM, who cares. FWIW I think "Endless Waves" is awesome because it kinda ties into science, mysticism and music all in one.

or you could go for one of these post-post-post modern emo shit names such as:
Caleb And His Holographic Cat.
or
Don't Listen To This
or
FKN-CNT

etc...

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 3:50 am

condra wrote: but as long as any of these cats have less than a couple of thousand fans on Last FM, who cares. FWIW I think "Endless Waves" is awesome because it kinda ties into science, mysticism and music all in one.

spoken like the creative type... you know that you might damage theire reputation with your shit output?

music that isnt even worth to be released under an unique name is not worth to be released at all.. and this kind of missbehaviour only makes lawyers even richer...

its really bad how quickly any musical culture is abandoned since the magix music makers have hit the market.. djing with pirated tracks.. generic music and copied tracks under the own name.. sound alikes at any corner..and now even stolen names or no care wether a name is taken allready.. pfff.. :x

in former times generations of bands managed to have mostly unique name without even the possebility to google something..but now where its just a few clicks its impossible to be original at least with the moniker?...

actually that only leads to one conclusion..the asshole density on the planet is still rising.. or the asshole density within the music production world is rising..

not very promissing

condra

Post by condra » Tue May 17, 2011 10:57 am

You're such a smug twat 3phase

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 11:00 am

condra wrote:You're such a smug twat 3phase
no.. people that dont care about artist names and have a new one for any track are..

its like a cancer tat spreads quickly and its necessaryy to give the practize a bad name

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue May 17, 2011 11:49 am

good name: 3phazz

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Tue May 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Nothing like a washed up, bitter, obnoxious egomaniacal german whining first thing in the morning to put a smile on my face.

Now we dance!
No...I am 3phase!

foxymethoxy

Post by foxymethoxy » Tue May 17, 2011 1:02 pm

condra wrote:You're such a smug twat 3phase
don't be mad that he's right

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 17, 2011 1:03 pm

Makes me laugh how he rants about un-creative people, insults flying at anyone and everyone for the smallest thing. Yet his 'music' is the most basic derivative thump clack nonsense ever emitted. Hilarious. You'd think he was actually talented the way he goes on about other people.
Of course, music is a personal taste so anyone is free to make that music if they like, it's certainly easy enough. I guess the difference is all in the obscurity of which exact "magic music maker" he uses. I'm sure it has gold cables and costs the maximum.
In fact he's an inspiration. From now on I'm playing lumpen one note banjo tunes, but I'll be spending most of my time raging against the perceived ills of the banjo manufacturers and their customers at every opportunity. I use an iridium banjo string! This back- pan is not round enough! You fanboys!!!
Twang twang twang plang twang plang.

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Tue May 17, 2011 1:06 pm

Yet his 'music' is the most basic derivative thump clack nonsense ever emitted.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This is the part that cracks me up every time.
No...I am 3phase!

amigo

Post by amigo » Wed May 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Reticent Beck...?