Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
BlackMath
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:16 am

Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by BlackMath » Sat May 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Where is my Live app that will load my sets into an ipad with native devices (at first) so I can just play straight from the ipad.

And while your at it partner with Livid and make a controller that holds 2 (or more ipads) that you can mix different sets together like decks.

come on you know you want it :wink:

babkubwa
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by babkubwa » Sat May 14, 2011 6:52 pm

bang on! +1

Angstrom
Posts: 14705
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by Angstrom » Sat May 14, 2011 6:53 pm

You think Live will run well on an A5 processor?

babkubwa
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by babkubwa » Sat May 14, 2011 6:59 pm

perhaps a severely cut down live - basic effects and instruments. Thinking something like live 3 or 4. One way export from tablet to computer ? live sketchpad

BlackMath
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:16 am

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by BlackMath » Sat May 14, 2011 7:02 pm

Angstrom wrote:You think Live will run well on an A5 processor?
Its not really Live per say
it plays clips and has effects which I think an ipad could handle no problem

Lets say you only get 10 tracks/3 returns/1 Master
You can make your set in your main studio computer then mix it down into 10 elements that you then save to some sort of Live app set file
then load it onto you Ipad(s)

Then you hook ipads into something slightly better than this http://shop.lividinstruments.com/hardwa ... ation.html
If you're using 2 ipads one set loads while another plays and when they're both loaded you can mix between the two like decks

TheDriller
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by TheDriller » Sat May 14, 2011 7:32 pm

To be honest, I sincerely hope the abes aren't pissing away their time on developing an 'iLive' app of any kind. Touchable has already nailed the whole iPad touchscreen live control thing anyway, and besides, look at how bloated and in-efficient Live 8 is, what makes you think they could get it to work better on an A5 processor?

I'd much rather see them working on fixing Live 8 and getting version 9 ready.

Angstrom
Posts: 14705
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by Angstrom » Sat May 14, 2011 7:34 pm

Clips with realtime warping?
How many of them? Which effects? How many? How does it attempt to load a song which uses 40% CPU on a laptop?

(2011) MacBook pro geekbench score: 10,164
(2003) PowerMac G5 1.6 GHz : 1000
(2011) IPad 2 geekbench score : 721
(2010) iPad 1 geek ench score : 431

That's quite a difference in power
A 40% CPU set on a laptop becomes 563.88% on an iPad 2, on an iPad 1 it would hit 941% on the CPU meter.

babkubwa
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by babkubwa » Sat May 14, 2011 7:48 pm

mmm - you got me there :oops: I'm tapping out!

good point about touchale too. Awesome app. what might be better use of abes time is to open up lives api more - allowing touchable to go further. I'd love to be able to access lives browser from touchable for instance - apply effects and drag clips into session view from the ipad.

Pasha
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:45 pm
Location: Lost Island
Contact:

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by Pasha » Sat May 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Angstrom wrote:Clips with realtime warping?
How many of them? Which effects? How many? How does it attempt to load a song which uses 40% CPU on a laptop?

(2011) MacBook pro geekbench score: 10,164
(2003) PowerMac G5 1.6 GHz : 1000
(2011) IPad 2 geekbench score : 721
(2010) iPad 1 geek ench score : 431

That's quite a difference in power
A 40% CPU set on a laptop becomes 563.88% on an iPad 2, on an iPad 1 it would hit 941% on the CPU meter.
A bath in reality is better than 1 million dreams... ;-)
Apple iMac 2013 / Macbook Late 2012
Live 10 Suite,Zebra ,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers
______________________________________
Music : http://alonetone.com/pasha

TheDriller
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by TheDriller » Sat May 14, 2011 8:07 pm

babkubwa wrote:mmm - you got me there :oops: I'm tapping out!

good point about touchale too. Awesome app. what might be better use of abes time is to open up lives api more - allowing touchable to go further. I'd love to be able to access lives browser from touchable for instance - apply effects and drag clips into session view from the ipad.
Agreed on taking touchable a bit further,
Being able to access the browser, add and remove effects etc would be superb.

I'm of the opinion that major big-league daw work on an iPad is going to be a bit of a pipe dream for a while yet. It'll happen eventually but only after a few hardware revisions and developers really putting effort into the touchscreen interaction. For now the iPads big trick is touchscreen control for applications running on "real" computers, see TouchAble and the new Adobe Photoshop control apps for examples.

BlackMath
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:16 am

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by BlackMath » Sat May 14, 2011 8:10 pm

ok fine

I'll just keep it to myself next time I have an idea :roll:

Anubis
Posts: 1397
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:06 pm
Location: Miami
Contact:

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by Anubis » Sat May 14, 2011 9:17 pm

BlackMath wrote:ok fine

I'll just keep it to myself next time I have an idea :roll:
I asked that very question a while back. Seems there not interested.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p1266260
@ angstrom, Of course it would have to be a cut down app. A compromise like GarageBand for iPad, limited tracks, fx, etc. Maybe just the Session view for performance? We're not expecting the full Monty.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

acatcalledanarchy
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Guernsey
Contact:

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by acatcalledanarchy » Sat May 14, 2011 9:39 pm

Once is curiousity, twice is fun, three times is an addiction...

TheDriller
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by TheDriller » Sat May 14, 2011 10:02 pm

Anubis wrote:
BlackMath wrote:ok fine

I'll just keep it to myself next time I have an idea :roll:
I asked that very question a while back. Seems there not interested.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p1266260
@ angstrom, Of course it would have to be a cut down app. A compromise like GarageBand for iPad, limited tracks, fx, etc. Maybe just the Session view for performance? We're not expecting the full Monty.
But with touchAble we've already got an iPad session view for live performance. Asking the abes to do their own 'official' one is looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and frankly.

This is the beauty of having an open API, that ableton don't need to dedicate time and resources to the task at all, instead they can just say "here's the API, have fun" and 3rd party developers will do the work on their own time, then both companies benefit from this symbiotic relationship, the users get more toys to play with
and everyone is happy.

condra
Posts: 2753
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:03 pm
Location: Dublin
Contact:

Re: Hey Abe's Where's my Live Ipad app ?

Post by condra » Sat May 14, 2011 11:34 pm

A fully native touchscreen "loop matrix" application is inevitable, from Ableton, or someone else.

Post Reply