Arrangement Overdub Issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
X_Soda

Arrangement Overdub Issues

Post by X_Soda » Sat May 14, 2011 6:54 pm

So I have a recorded MIDI clip in arrangement view that I'd like to add a few extra parts to by re-recording, but I want to keep all of the existing notes AND their automation. I have the overdub button selected at the top of the screen, but while my re-recording keeps all of the existing MIDI notes, it deletes their automation! Any way around this?

mholloway

Re: Arrangement Overdub Issues

Post by mholloway » Sat May 14, 2011 6:59 pm

click the "options" drop down and make sure "midi overdub" is selected; I think by default it's not. This is your problem. The OVR button just turns on/off whether new data is recorded, it doesn't actually activate overdub.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

X_Soda

Post by X_Soda » Sat May 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks, I just tried that, but it turns out that the option is indeed selected. Like I said, the actual overdubbing process works fine; all of my original notes are preserved. It's just that every single one of my automation envelopes gets restored to its default level as I record. I just tried the "Lock Envelope" feature to see if that could help -- no dice.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat May 14, 2011 7:59 pm

welcome to the wonderfull world of ableton midi... are the cotrolers assigend to remote parameters withon live? you might to have to remove that assignmets than for your overdub.. for some strage reasons its prohebitetd to record controlers that have remote assignments..

maybe a midi loop can help.. or the classica ableton way. just draw all automation by hand in again... you are young..you have time
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

X_Soda

Post by X_Soda » Sun May 15, 2011 6:29 pm

Nope, no parameters assigned. Is this something people frequently encounter then? Seems bizarre. I can draw in my new MIDI notes and nothing will happen to the automation. It's only when I record new ones that everything just flatlines. The automation is kind of weird and very exact at the moment -- I really hope I don't have to redraw it. Though I guess I could just make a dummy track to copy to and paste from.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:44 pm

if im not mistaken, this is just how it goes. not cool.

Hope to be corrected by someone..

if not, hope to see it fixed in an update.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

turok2step

Post by turok2step » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:42 pm

put your midi notes into a new MIDI track and route it to the midi track u were using before (with all the automation) :)
:D

arafel

Post by arafel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:12 pm

IMHO - the easiest work around is Duplicate the track.. That way you have a backup of the automation in case you erase it. Copy/ paste in all the automation that "overdub" erased if you need.

Its a PITA....
OVERDUB is not really overdub..its missing the Latch function (like in Logic).. jeez just copy that idea already Abes! :D

There is no way to 'lock' an automation lane to prevent overdub or erasing (there should be - for Frak sakes!)...
Def an area that Live is weak on - one little button!

You can record automation and not erase stuff..
but you have to be verry careful not to bump the wrong knob/ fader ...

Make sure the Channel record button is OFF
(record button beside the Solo of the Channel in arrange.. its on the very very right of the Channel).
Make sure OverDub is ON.
Hit Record in Transport (easiest to map this to a controller)
Now....
Carefully..
Move only the knob/ fader mapped to the automation that you want to record.
When you are done.. hit Stop..

If you accidentally bumb another controller (or have the Channel record On).. other automation lanes will have your precious stuff overwritten written. so thats why Duplicate is your friend.

Hope that helps..
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.