sounds better previewed in browser? why?!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
mersault

sounds better previewed in browser? why?!

Post by mersault » Sun May 15, 2011 9:07 pm

what I mean is, when I'm previewing sounds from my sample library in the browser, certain sounds are clearly better than when I drag them into a track (session view, but I don't think it really matters) - why is this?! anybody else experience this?

by better I mean, with a snare or clap - the top is more crisp - the sound clearly has more "snap" and I would even say more clarity and resolution. This is way more obvious in certain sounds than others.

my audio is set to 48/high quality....

mihai

Re: sounds better previewed in browser? why?!

Post by mihai » Mon May 16, 2011 1:47 am

once you drag the sample into a track live automatically warps it (assuming you've it enabled) hence loss in quality.
when you drag it in either turn off warping or double click the sample and change the algorithm.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Mon May 16, 2011 1:58 am

also make sure that the "Create Fades on Clip Edges" preference if turned off. you find this on the "Record Warp" tab in the preferences.

if you are dragging your drum samples into a drum rack, just check your ADSR settings in Simpler
:: Current Releases ::
Miles End - Beatport
www.lunabass.com
www.ba-doop.com

The Manuel Portio - Beatport
lunabass [House] - Facebook
Kamuku [Drum & Bass]
Atomitek [Techno]

Nx1

Post by Nx1 » Mon May 16, 2011 2:39 am

if your loading a sample, like you said a snare or clap, into a drum rack or something, make sure the velocity is up... if you simply drop a sample into a drum rack the velocity will be set to 0 until you change it...

Dr. Fluffenstein

Post by Dr. Fluffenstein » Mon May 16, 2011 5:11 pm

It might be that you have "create fades on clip edges" selected under preferences, it completely sucks the life out of transients.

Edit: Sorry, looks like lunabass already mentioned this.