a new version / beta please...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

Re: a new version / beta please...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 17, 2011 9:04 am

I think they mean any other DAW+Maschine
Last edited by 3dot... on Tue May 17, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

necho

Post by necho » Tue May 17, 2011 10:24 am

Khazul wrote:
3phase wrote:they have a new scrum master,, everything is good now.. except the plan
Scrum? OMFG - well that says it all - Yesterday - breaking stuff, today - plan to break more stuff.
Erm - yeah.

OK - lets have an argument about Scrum.

We've been using it since the beginning. And we've gone from a starup with 5 employees to a a company of 40 staff in the US and UK, with clients including three major supermarket chains, four major technology companies, three major energy companies and several state government departments in the US.

Revenues? Well - 4 years ago I couldn't pay my rent. A month ago, I put down a deposit on a house.

Works For Me.
_________
sigs suck.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 10:32 am

necho wrote:
Khazul wrote:
3phase wrote:they have a new scrum master,, everything is good now.. except the plan
Scrum? OMFG - well that says it all - Yesterday - breaking stuff, today - plan to break more stuff.
Erm - yeah.

OK - lets have an argument about Scrum.

We've been using it since the beginning. And we've gone from a starup with 5 employees to a a company of 40 staff in the US and UK, with clients including three major supermarket chains, four major technology companies, three major energy companies and several state government departments in the US.

Revenues? Well - 4 years ago I couldn't pay my rent. A month ago, I put down a deposit on a house.

Works For Me.
oh nobody questioned that ableton makes a lot of money...but do they produce good software?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

sanosdole

Post by sanosdole » Tue May 17, 2011 10:45 am

Scrum has nothing to do with quality or good software architecture. It has to do with managing the process, keeping it agile and close to the requirements. Quality assurance (ensuring that the development results are good) or product management (ensuring that the right stuff is developed) is a different beast (although they may profit from transparency and direct communication using a Scrum process)

It´s a good process for managing software development, as it keeps it lean and controllable.
But it is not a replacement for requirements engineering, good architecture and test engineering.

I believe that if ableton is using Scrum for it development or not is irrelevant for us (except for the posibillity to have a more regular release cycle...). We are more interested in how their requirement engineering or test engineering works.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 10:48 am

sanosdole wrote:Scrum has nothing to do with quality or good software architecture. It has to do with managing the process, keeping it agile and close to the requirements. Quality assurance (ensuring that the development results are good) or product management (ensuring that the right stuff is developed) is a different beast (although they may profit from transparency and direct communication using a Scrum process)

It´s a good process for managing software development, as it keeps it lean and controllable.
But it is not a replacement for requirements engineering, good architecture and test engineering.

I believe that if ableton is using Scrum for it development or not is irrelevant for us (except for the posibillity to have a more regular release cycle...). We are more interested in how their requirement engineering or test engineering works.

ok..but what is a scrum master actually doing in this process? i just was amused by the word and imagine a slightly dominant lady in the position that acts friendly but is areal beast with an open minded attitude towards pain..

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue May 17, 2011 10:55 am

3phase wrote:ok..but what is a scrum master actually doing in this process? i just was amused by the word and imagine a slightly dominant lady in the position that acts friendly but is areal beast with an open minded attitude towards pain..
Well it *is* berlin ;)

And that would be way more useful than the usual fukwiterry.
Nothing to see here - move along!

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 10:59 am

the costume looks pretty easty beasty

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 17, 2011 11:02 am

sanosdole wrote:Scrum has nothing to do with quality or good software architecture. It has to do with managing the process, keeping it agile and close to the requirements. Quality assurance (ensuring that the development results are good) or product management (ensuring that the right stuff is developed) is a different beast (although they may profit from transparency and direct communication using a Scrum process)

Ableton did have a steady yearly release cycle until the latest v8...
something went wrong.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 11:09 am

3dot... wrote:

Ableton did have a steady yearly release cycle until the latest v8...
something went wrong.

theire so very arrogant attitude towards customer problems was a thing that has grown over time. and leaving the betatesting to the users had to go wrong one day...
and last but not least.. the integration of max on the running not bugfree release version keeps new bugs comming in any bugfix release...

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:11 am

Well, back to OP topic:

New API features of 8.2.2 are great, but I need to run 2 instances of Live with
different preferences. As this is still not possible with one release I need
a 8.2.3, too. Only to run two instances of Live with 8.2.2 features...
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

d-track

Post by d-track » Tue May 17, 2011 11:14 am

8.2.2 is the first version of live 8 i dont have any problem with

it crashed once when i swapped some preset in operator. it can be a deadly bug in a live situation so i won't change preset during a gig:)

necho

Post by necho » Tue May 17, 2011 11:40 am

3phase wrote:

ok..but what is a scrum master actually doing in this process? i just was amused by the word and imagine a slightly dominant lady in the position that acts friendly but is areal beast with an open minded attitude towards pain..
yep - that's me. exactly.
_________
sigs suck.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 17, 2011 11:45 am

d-track wrote:8.2.2 is the first version of live 8 i dont have any problem with

it crashed once when i swapped some preset in operator. it can be a deadly bug in a live situation so i won't change preset during a gig:)
8.2.1 is still the best version for me..
8.2.2 broke some stuff..

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue May 17, 2011 11:47 am

3dot... wrote:
d-track wrote:8.2.2 is the first version of live 8 i dont have any problem with

8.2.1 is still the best version for me..
8.2.2 broke some stuff..

+1

but no problem to crash 8.21 any day at least once