Ableton Live 9 before summer ? end of 2011 ? early 2012 ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

Re: Ableton Live 9 before summer ? end of 2011 ? early 2012 ?

Post by 3dot... » Mon May 16, 2011 6:49 pm

ah...memories...
(hope they're not developing new features behind our backs !)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon May 16, 2011 6:52 pm

ARDJ wrote:
headquest wrote:I partly agree there, but would like to know at least whether Ableton are yet WORKING ON a version 9... they announced that work on it was stopped to concentrate on fixing 8. Has that process completed yet, or is 9 still on the drawing board only?
this was posted on KVR late last week:
Dear Ableton users,
<snip>
Gerhard Behles, CEO
Bernd Roggendorf, CTO
it may have been re-posted on KVR last week, but Gerhard posted that message about 18 months ago

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... &p=1048729

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon May 16, 2011 6:58 pm

aizo wrote:hope it comes out soon, once my wife has our baby my wallet is on LOCK DOWN! :cry:
congrats on the soon to be new born!!!

On the flip side I'm less excited about live 8 because it just shows me that ableton does not really have a good enough group to make a stable product. I agree that it is much better than upon it's release but you still see people with issues. I'm sure I'll buy live 9 as soon as it comes out but just to get a jump on things.

We've been using a buddies ableton 7 to do live stuff. Unless 9 underwent a complete rewrite (which is highly doubtful), then I'm sure the transition to 64 bit is going to be a rough one.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Mon May 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Angstrom wrote:
ARDJ wrote:
headquest wrote:I partly agree there, but would like to know at least whether Ableton are yet WORKING ON a version 9... they announced that work on it was stopped to concentrate on fixing 8. Has that process completed yet, or is 9 still on the drawing board only?
this was posted on KVR late last week:
Dear Ableton users,
<snip>
Gerhard Behles, CEO
Bernd Roggendorf, CTO
it may have been re-posted on KVR last week, but Gerhard posted that message about 18 months ago

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... &p=1048729

ah ok, i wasn't aware :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 16, 2011 8:12 pm

Bizon wrote:
Tarekith wrote:I hope they do it the Apple way and not say a peep until it's tested and on sale the same day they announce it. I hate when companies announce a new update and you have to wait months to actually use all the goodies you're drooling over. :)
I agree, but is this not impossible with DAW's, since thorough testing would take for ever?
They do it with Logic all the time. The first anyone hears of a new version, I can get in my car immediately, drive 5 minutes to the Apple store and buy it right then and there.

Headquest - I don't remember what thread it was in, but Ableton_David confirmed they are working on Live 9 already.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Mon May 16, 2011 8:43 pm

I'm still kind of amazed how unstable 8 is for a lot of people b/c I haven't had a crash since 8.1.3 (which was the first version I upgraded to) all the way through 8.2.2 and Logic 8.0.2 still crashes on me frequently.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

condra

Post by condra » Mon May 16, 2011 8:47 pm

As far as I know, the last statement from anyone at Ableton regarding Live 9, was from David:
Ableton_David wrote:Hi everyone, we are currently working on Live 9. We cannot yet publicly give a release date or list of new features - I assure you, this forum will know as soon as either of those are available. Thanks for your patience!
That was originally posted in this thread here:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1&start=15

Maybe Ableton David is the man to pump for information.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon May 16, 2011 9:19 pm

nylarch wrote:I'm still kind of amazed how unstable 8 is for a lot of people b/c I haven't had a crash since 8.1.3 (which was the first version I upgraded to) all the way through 8.2.2 and Logic 8.0.2 still crashes on me frequently.
Thats usually a sign you aint (ab)using it enough ;)
Nothing to see here - move along!

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Mon May 16, 2011 11:34 pm

Thats usually a sign you aint (ab)using it enough
that's quite possible :) I do try to limit CPU damage when possible (freeze and flatten is my friend). And yes technically we should't need to do this but I always look at Ableton as bleeding edge vs. something kind of boring like Logic and perhaps Live needs some precautions. Hopefully someday its rock solid no matter what you do but I find with some care its super stable even now.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 17, 2011 12:31 am

I've only used freeze / flatten a couple of times, ever !
I usually have a session drums rack, stacked with effects. A couple or three extra drum groups, a couple of bass tracks with something like guitar rig on, plus compression etc. Various melody synths/keys. Some fx sampler tracks and a sound bed track. Usually three or four fx returns. It's hard to guess at an overall track count as racks and groups can count for, or against a total.
I think Live has hung about once on me in the last year. Not crashed in that time as far as I recall.

I can only apologise.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue May 17, 2011 1:51 am

Angstrom wrote:I've only used freeze / flatten a couple of times, ever !
I use it all the time - but more like a bounce in place - being able to option+drag a frozen clip to another audio track is total win.

I almost never use 'flatten' though

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue May 17, 2011 2:16 am

I can imagine Freezing and flattening as a tool for messing around with sound, and have done it a few times in the past. But I mean I haven't had to freeze in order to stay operational and writing... I just keep trucking along. Oblivious. The few times I've had to start freezing to conserve CPU stick out as unusual.

A lot of this stuff depends on being lucky though, lucky with how you like to work, and what other hardware and software you are using. I favour a very conservative setup these days. Guitar, bass and a mic are the only things that go into my fireface. A few NI instruments, Nothing tricky. No clocks, no slaved hardware.

I'm not saying people don't have problems, I'm just saying that some of us don't. It's worth mentioning I think.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Tue May 17, 2011 3:39 am

I like to freeze and flatten also b/c getting everything to audio stops me from tweaking endlessly. Its good to commit and with this program you're still able to mess with audio in many interesting ways so its not like you're totally committed to the idea....

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue May 17, 2011 6:00 am

Angstrom wrote:I can imagine Freezing and flattening as a tool for messing around with sound, and have done it a few times in the past. But I mean I haven't had to freeze in order to stay operational and writing... I just keep trucking along. Oblivious. The few times I've had to start freezing to conserve CPU stick out as unusual.

A lot of this stuff depends on being lucky though, lucky with how you like to work, and what other hardware and software you are using. I favour a very conservative setup these days. Guitar, bass and a mic are the only things that go into my fireface. A few NI instruments, Nothing tricky. No clocks, no slaved hardware.

I'm not saying people don't have problems, I'm just saying that some of us don't. It's worth mentioning I think.
I'm mostly the same - I've generally put it down to the fact that I started out doing this stuff on computers that were glorified calculators so I got used to not trying to do too much at once and it's a work practice that still seems to be part of my workflow....

but saying that, I just got a new i5 macbook pro and I'm surprised how much it is an improvement on my 2009 white macbook. But I notice it mostly on things like rendering time and "duplicate/delete time" which happens now so quick that it's realtime while the music is still playing...

CFM

Post by CFM » Tue May 17, 2011 9:08 am

:lol: :lol: MR Ableton_David on another post like this... a few weeks ago:

Confirmed Ableton are working on Version 9. No confirmation of new features or release date!

However, I would speculate a early winter 2011 release to spring 2012 (which really covers anything from this Summer).