launchpad / fast track incompatibilities

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
darkdraconium

launchpad / fast track incompatibilities

Post by darkdraconium » Sat May 21, 2011 7:31 am

has anyone else had any issues using a launchpad and a m audio fast track pro? i have ableton running with an axiom pro, a fast track pro and a launch pad, and for some reason when the launch pad and the fast track pro are plugged in and on, either the launchpad wont be recognized by ableton or ableton wont be able to recognize incoming audio that's being input into the fast track from my synths.

Warrior Bob

Re: launchpad / fast track incompatibilities

Post by Warrior Bob » Sat May 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Any chance you're going through a USB hub?

I used a similar setup for a while (Fast Track Ultra, Axiom, Launchpad) and generally found that I needed to have the FTU on its own USB port. I can put the Axiom/Launchpad/other controllers through a hub though, without too much trouble.

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:22 am

hey warrior bob.... what type of usb hub are you using. i have a similar set up, fast track ultra into launchpad and axiom 25. my current usb hub doesnt have enough to power the launchpad (yes i use power source).

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:43 am

same. there's no way i'd run either of these bits of kit off a hub. also, they're both keen on being used on the same usb port that they were plugged into when the drivers were installed.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:30 pm

bartend7 wrote:hey warrior bob.... what type of usb hub are you using. i have a similar set up, fast track ultra into launchpad and axiom 25. my current usb hub doesnt have enough to power the launchpad (yes i use power source).
Sorry I didn't get back to you quicker, I haven't checked this forum in a few days.

At present I've got a D-Link Dub H7 which is a powered USB 2.0 hub, which I briefly discussed in this thread.

Irritatingly, I discovered that the Launchpad frequently didn't have enough power to run when I used this hub with my Windows Vista computer. A while ago I bought a Macbook Pro and haven't had a problem, except occasionally when waking from sleep, when nothing has enough power (not even my mouse!). At least, I think it was this hub, and not a different one. Next time I'm playing with my windows box I'll give it a try and see what happens.

urk aka boombleep

Post by urk aka boombleep » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Hello

I have exactly the same problem.
I use a Launchpad and a Fast Track Pro, with a Novation Remote 25 (the old one, not SL, but this one's not the problem, it works perfectly and doesn't interfere). They're plugged directly in the USB ports of my brand new Sony Vaio running Windows 7 64 SP1.

When I run Live with both Launchpad & Fast Track Pro (lets call it FTP) plugged & on, Live doesn't recognize the Launchpad but "sees" incoming audio in the FTP.
When I run Live with Launchpad plugged only, and then plug the FTP after Live opened, I can use my Launchpad but not the incoming audio, despite the green LED flashing on FTP's front panel when audio gets into it.

I'm desperate, spent 3 hours on it yesterday before re-thinking my whole live set without any audio in.

Useful precision : everything was OK on my old computer, running Win XP SP2...
[-o-] Bass Music livesets from Paris ! ==> http://www.soundcloud.com/boombleep [-o-]

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:09 pm

I've got a FTP plugged directly into my imac, with a launchpad running into a belkin powered hub, have never experienced any of these issues.

urk aka boombleep

Post by urk aka boombleep » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:17 pm

Yes, I think the problem might come from a driver clash under Windows 7. I also had an iMac until I sell it to buy a new PC laptop, and everything was OK under Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (as always with Macs, no drivers needed, so no clashes...)

Anyone has an advice for Windows 7 64 SP1 ?
[-o-] Bass Music livesets from Paris ! ==> http://www.soundcloud.com/boombleep [-o-]

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:42 pm

urk aka boombleep wrote:Hello

I have exactly the same problem.
I use a Launchpad and a Fast Track Pro, with a Novation Remote 25 (the old one, not SL, but this one's not the problem, it works perfectly and doesn't interfere). They're plugged directly in the USB ports of my brand new Sony Vaio running Windows 7 64 SP1.

When I run Live with both Launchpad & Fast Track Pro (lets call it FTP) plugged & on, Live doesn't recognize the Launchpad but "sees" incoming audio in the FTP.
When I run Live with Launchpad plugged only, and then plug the FTP after Live opened, I can use my Launchpad but not the incoming audio, despite the green LED flashing on FTP's front panel when audio gets into it.

I'm desperate, spent 3 hours on it yesterday before re-thinking my whole live set without any audio in.

Useful precision : everything was OK on my old computer, running Win XP SP2...
I can't say why the Launchpad wouldn't work when Live was started with both devices plugged in. However, I am pretty sure that on Windows, Live does not respond to devices plugged in after it starts. I know this is true for MIDI devices, I believe it is also true for audio devices.

So, on Windows, if you start Live, and then plug in the FTP, I would expect Live to ignore the FTP even though the FTP is powered and receiving signal.

urk aka boombleep

Post by urk aka boombleep » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Indeed Live doesn't recognize MIDI devices when plugged after its start, but it works with audio devices. You just have to select them in the preferences / audio tab once plugged and on, even with Live already running.
But, my question remains : why wouldn't Launchpad and FTP work together ? I'm currently approaching 5 hours of internet research and hazardous experimentations with drivers and register edit. Nothing works. Argh

urk aka boombleep

Post by urk aka boombleep » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:58 am

Up ? Launchpad still doesn't run properly under Windows 7 64 with Fast Track Pro plugged...

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:23 pm

urk aka boombleep wrote:Up ? Launchpad still doesn't run properly under Windows 7 64 with Fast Track Pro plugged...
I'm out of ideas. Have you tried M-Audio and Novation tech support?

urk aka boombleep

Post by urk aka boombleep » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:34 pm

Hey, thanks for answering !

I tried both of them ; Novation gave up after 10 mails, and M-Audio simply never answered... I guess they're much more preoccupied by thousand-dollars-ProTools HD owners...

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:31 pm

Oh, well then that isn't very helpful of them.

I don't know a whole lot about USB, but does anyone know if there is a way to inspect what is happening on a given USB bus? I would imagine that these devices would be reporting some error, or could be polled for their status. That seems like the easiest way to investigate the problem, but I wouldn't know how to go about it.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:28 pm

some pointers :
don't use a hub.
don't use two adjacent usb ports (internal hub)
install drivers only when the devices are disconnected..