Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by kb420 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:23 pm

http://www.ableton.com/news/kate-simko- ... ghts-out-1


Kate Simko prefers the sound of Logic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLjyCXS5 ... age#t=112s


That can't be good for marketing! :?
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

LeifonMars
Posts: 1104
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by LeifonMars » Tue May 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Yeah, but censoring would be worse. Look at this forum.

She prefers the sound of Logic. Nothing about the inferior sound engine of Live.

The fact still remains: she can't do the things she does with Live with Logic.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

dylandigits
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:16 am

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by dylandigits » Tue May 24, 2011 6:35 pm

She prefers to use Logic for much of her production and then export loops and samples to Live for performing. Logic does one thing well for her, Live does another. The "featured artist" page is regarding a live performance she's doing, which is consistent with how she uses Live.

sabiwa
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:16 am

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by sabiwa » Tue May 24, 2011 6:40 pm

These are interesting times. Apparently 3phase is banned after all...he should be here by now.

kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by kb420 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:45 pm

You have to admit that there is a recurring theme of mainstream artist who claim to like every other programs sound over Live's. Maybe there is something there. We already know the PDC is shite on Live. Maybe there is really something going on. :?


I kinda wish 3phase were here. :roll:
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

rcpunker
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by rcpunker » Tue May 24, 2011 7:15 pm

kb420 wrote:You have to admit that there is a recurring theme of mainstream artist who claim to like every other programs sound over Live's. Maybe there is something there. We already know the PDC is shite on Live. Maybe there is really something going on. :?


I kinda wish 3phase were here. :roll:
WELL, I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK MY MIND,BUT, WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO IN HERE BECAUSE WE WILL BE BANNED IF WE DO.
WE CANNOT HAVE OUR OWN OPINIONS ANYMORE IN HERE. WE MUST PRAISE ABLETON AT ALL TIMES.

fisto
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by fisto » Tue May 24, 2011 7:19 pm

Nelson-like: HA-HA!! :mrgreen:

LeifonMars
Posts: 1104
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by LeifonMars » Tue May 24, 2011 7:32 pm

kb420 wrote:I kinda wish 3phase were here. :roll:
What? Was 3phase boxed?
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

[stm]
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Ableton Headquarters

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by [stm] » Tue May 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Hey guys,

just to chip in: Censorship? Really? If that was the case, my guess is a lot of folks would be banned by now. :)

No conspiracy here I'm afraid - 3phase was banned because he repeatedly broke the community guidelines and ignored warnings, and last time I checked the guidelines did not forbid any criticism of the company or the product. The ban was discussed long before 3phase has posted his phase cancellation test results. In fact, I don't think David even saw this post.

I think everyone is absolutely welcome to discuss Live's audio engine in a friendly manner. I will not state my personal opinion on this topic, since I think that it is pretty old by now. I have watched the video, however, and did not hear Kate Simko say anything about it being inferior - just a short sentence that she prefers the sound of Logic, which can refer to a myriad things, at once. I use Renoise, and I could swear its effects make the amen break sound completely different, and the handling! Whoa! Totally different from Live's! ;)

Lastly, this is just a personal comment from someone who works at Ableton and reads the forum with great interest. Please don't mistake it for an official company statement.

Cheers!

rcpunker
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by rcpunker » Tue May 24, 2011 8:06 pm

[stm] wrote:Hey guys,

just to chip in: Censorship? Really? If that was the case, my guess is a lot of folks would be banned by now. :)

No conspiracy here I'm afraid - 3phase was banned because he repeatedly broke the community guidelines and ignored warnings, and last time I checked the guidelines did not forbid any criticism of the company or the product. The ban was discussed long before 3phase has posted his phase cancellation test results. In fact, I don't think David even saw this post.

I think everyone is absolutely welcome to discuss Live's audio engine in a friendly manner. I will not state my personal opinion on this topic, since I think that it is pretty old by now. I have watched the video, however, and did not hear Kate Simko say anything about it being inferior - just a short sentence that she prefers the sound of Logic, which can refer to a myriad things, at once. I use Renoise, and I could swear its effects make the amen break sound completely different, and the handling! Whoa! Totally different from Live's! ;)

Lastly, this is just a personal comment from someone who works at Ableton and reads the forum with great interest. Please don't mistake it for an official company statement.

Cheers!
MR. ABLETON HEADQUARTERS,
I JUST SPOKE WITH THE OTHER SIDE TO THE STORY AND ACCORDING TO THIS POST ABOVE, THERE'S ALOT OF FALSE POSTINGS ABOVE.
BUT HEY...THIESE WORDS I'M TYPING WON'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY WILL PROBABLY BE REMOVED BEFORE ANYONE CAN READ IT.

Digital_Damage
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by Digital_Damage » Tue May 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Meh, 3Phase was a punk ass bitch anyways.

Jesus Christ
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:48 pm

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by Jesus Christ » Tue May 24, 2011 8:20 pm

Even the best clubs/museums/galleries aren't exactly the ideal environs for hi-fidelity listening.
That someone uses LIVE live is hardly a testament to it's audio engine's quality. not in the purest sense at least. There's a tonne of examples where fidelity sacrifices are made in the live setting. Before audio quality even comes into it LIVE is clearly the first choice to consider (disregarding stability issues) when it comes to performance. Maybe even for composition too depending on the person.


However where the whole audio quality thing becomes a contentious issue is in the production sense (as opposed to performing). In my experience at least it's accepted that we aim for the 'best' audio quality we can, so that at least when listened to in ideal settings the benefits can be enjoyed.
And that is the point at which it starts to matter what Kate, amongst others, say regarding audio quality. And indeed the now banned 3phase and those who have thanklessly tested/analysed LIVE's audio engine (please do keep in mind the effect sloppy PDC & automation coding/implementation can have on the audio output. So no 1+1=2 arguments please).


besides all that it's just an enjoyable irony that, given this is such a contentious issue, a featured ableton artist has also gone on the record illustrating her preference for Logic's sound and mixing abilities. LIVE to her is a compositional/performance tool which is no surprise considering that's where it's advantages are over other competing DAWs. But for the sake of her productions audio quality she goes elsewhere.

amen

kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by kb420 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:28 pm

LeifonMars wrote:
kb420 wrote:I kinda wish 3phase were here. :roll:
What? Was 3phase boxed?
From what I heard, he was boxed just like the 3's.


Image
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by H20nly » Tue May 24, 2011 8:34 pm

rcpunker wrote:
[stm] wrote:Hey guys,

just to chip in: Censorship? Really? If that was the case, my guess is a lot of folks would be banned by now. :)

No conspiracy here I'm afraid - 3phase was banned because he repeatedly broke the community guidelines and ignored warnings, and last time I checked the guidelines did not forbid any criticism of the company or the product. The ban was discussed long before 3phase has posted his phase cancellation test results. In fact, I don't think David even saw this post.

I think everyone is absolutely welcome to discuss Live's audio engine in a friendly manner. I will not state my personal opinion on this topic, since I think that it is pretty old by now. I have watched the video, however, and did not hear Kate Simko say anything about it being inferior - just a short sentence that she prefers the sound of Logic, which can refer to a myriad things, at once. I use Renoise, and I could swear its effects make the amen break sound completely different, and the handling! Whoa! Totally different from Live's! ;)

Lastly, this is just a personal comment from someone who works at Ableton and reads the forum with great interest. Please don't mistake it for an official company statement.

Cheers!
MR. ABLETON HEADQUARTERS,
I JUST SPOKE WITH THE OTHER SIDE TO THE STORY AND ACCORDING TO THIS POST ABOVE, THERE'S ALOT OF FALSE POSTINGS ABOVE.
BUT HEY...THIESE WORDS I'M TYPING WON'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY WILL PROBABLY BE REMOVED BEFORE ANYONE CAN READ IT.

and you should know - with your whopping 4 months being a member of the forum right?

oh wait, perhaps you were banned before. if so, why don't you tell us who you were and what the final straw was... then you can tell us about all the other straws.

i'm sure that we'll all be convinced that it was a clear and deliberate conspiracy by Ableton to get rid of slightly dysfunctional conspiracy theorists. :roll:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: Ableton's Featured Artist prefer the sound of Logic!!!!!

Post by kb420 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:52 pm

I understand that Kate Simko didn't bad mouth Live in any way. That much is evident, but she did say she liked the sound of Logic better. She clearly stated that. I've been mixing exclusively in Live for a few years now. I haven't really mixed in Sonar or Pro Tools in quite a while. Her workflow sounds really intricate. She composes loops in Logic. Imports it to Live where she experiments with it and gives the song structure, but then when she has a solid blueprint, it's back to Logic. Really? I don't know. I think that something's amiss.
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

Post Reply