SOUND ENGINE BUGS ???

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
rcpunker

SOUND ENGINE BUGS ???

Post by rcpunker » Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 pm

i was bouncing from one track to the other from within a group..solos on the group channels..

and this is the result of the phase cancelation test of an ableton internal bounce:

http://www.3phase.de/32BitProblem/non%20cancel.mp3

is this for others reproduceable?.. a bassdrum internally bounced should cancel perfectly... only a utility plug set to the left channel involved.

however.
This shows somehow that strange things can happen within the live workstation.

For many people live sound in the the mix is inferior and muffled..other state that there are no problems..
Is it possible that this is to hardware platform related bugs? or do some people just have the better listening while others just dont get that there is something missing?

Another bug i came along..the brown henke dither bug..

when you change the tempo around..best with the automation draw in the masterchannel... and than type in the original tempo again in the main tempo window.. because you never get back to the original temo by drawing an automaion line..

after going back to original tempo all tracks that was in the so called transparent setting in ableton live..where samplerate conversion is supposed to be off aslong the clip tempo nd projekt tempo match..

All this clips will have samplerate conversion engaged than..

you need to switch warping off and on again on each clip.. than it returns to the transparent setting..

is this an user exclusive bug as ableton wants to make me belive or are others experiancing the same?

its easy to test..when you switch warping on and of on original speed there shouldnt be a difference...

as there shouldnt be a sound difference between 32 bit float daws.. but theorie and praxis... not allways the same thing

Khazul

Re: SOUND ENGINE BUGS ???

Post by Khazul » Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 pm

See reply I posted to slutz.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Tue May 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Please do not have conversations between forums here. If you'd like to have this discussion here, then that's fine - but it's unnecessarily confusing for forum members to have to track discussions between two forums.

Jesus Christ

Post by Jesus Christ » Tue May 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Khazul wrote:See reply I posted to slutz.
how's about re-posting it here so like, y'know, other interested parties can, like, read it n stuff.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue May 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Ableton_David wrote:Please do not have conversations between forums here. If you'd like to have this discussion here, then that's fine - but it's unnecessarily confusing for forum members to have to track discussions between two forums.
Equally confusing when people vanish and threads get messed with - so directing him back where that aint going to happen.

Of course if stuff worked and/or didn't have confusing defaults (for many users) that might give the impression it doesn't, then it might not be necessary at all to have such discussions, thus your time may be better spent fixing stuff in code rather than 'fixing' things that don't need fixing here ;)
Last edited by Khazul on Tue May 24, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here - move along!

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:46 pm

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

perplex

Post by perplex » Wed May 25, 2011 2:02 am

when people constantly say ableton has a messed up sound engine, it starts making me feel bad for using it. where are all the solid tests saying its equal, where are all the commercial users vouching for its quality?

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:26 am

where are all the solid tests saying its equal, where are all the commercial users vouching for its quality?
Busy making and performing music rather than bitching on the internet about it?

If the only thing keeping you from making good music is a problem with sample-rate conversion, then congratulations - you are both gifted and cursed with a weakness rivaling the Greek tragedies.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:30 am

To put it another way: if DJ Shadow and Daft Punk and Deadmau5 and a whole bunch of other professional, respectable musicians (with enough money and resources to have whatever DAW they want) are making and playing extremely successful music with Live, and a bunch of no-names on the internet are blathering on about how Live's digital summing ruins their sound quality with its brown dither, I know whose opinions I'll give credence to.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed May 25, 2011 5:39 am

a great song is still a great song even when recorded on a dictaphone.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed May 25, 2011 5:52 am

what no one seems to be mentioning that live has over every other daw is its interface.
with info view open even a noob can create a decent track within a couple hours.
its such a simple interface. just drag n drop. everything works how most noobs would think it should work.

if lives sound quality is inferior in some way then there are a lot of us subconsciously fighting it and making music that has great sound quality.
if live was preventing me from making music i would stop using it.
im not saying that you guys are not hearing something that the most of us dont hear im just saying who the fuck cares anymore.
no one fucking cares! and you guys dont get that no one fucking cares. year after year you people just dont get it.
if live sounds like shit. who cares!
i dont like the sound of grinding sand paper... so you know what.. i dont use sandpaper in my musical kit.

these sound quality arguments seem to always happen when people get bored and are looking for the newer version.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

William

Post by William » Wed May 25, 2011 6:27 am

nathannn wrote:what no one seems to be mentioning that live has over every other daw is its interface.
with info view open even a noob can create a decent track within a couple hours.
its such a simple interface. just drag n drop. everything works how most noobs would think it should work.

if lives sound quality is inferior in some way then there are a lot of us subconsciously fighting it and making music that has great sound quality.
if live was preventing me from making music i would stop using it.
im not saying that you guys are not hearing something that the most of us dont hear im just saying who the fuck cares anymore.
no one fucking cares! and you guys dont get that no one fucking cares. year after year you people just dont get it.
if live sounds like shit. who cares!
i dont like the sound of grinding sand paper... so you know what.. i dont use sandpaper in my musical kit.

these sound quality arguments seem to always happen when people get bored and are looking for the newer version.
TRUTH

...to everyone else...please stop fucking up the internet
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/rimby

i7-3770K 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
256GB SSD, 1TB 7200HD

Windows 8

Live 9

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed May 25, 2011 7:28 am

agent314 wrote:To put it another way: if DJ Shadow and Daft Punk and Deadmau5 and a whole bunch of other professional, respectable musicians (with enough money and resources to have whatever DAW they want) are making and playing extremely successful music with Live, and a bunch of no-names on the internet are blathering on about how Live's digital summing ruins their sound quality with its brown dither, I know whose opinions I'll give credence to.
This.

And FWIW, Live sounds just great to me, I'm happily using it every day to make music and release records.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Wed May 25, 2011 8:09 am

agent314 wrote:To put it another way: if DJ Shadow and Daft Punk and Deadmau5 and a whole bunch of other professional, respectable musicians (with enough money and resources to have whatever DAW they want) are making and playing extremely successful music with Live, and a bunch of no-names on the internet are blathering on about how Live's digital summing ruins their sound quality with its brown dither, I know whose opinions I'll give credence to.
+1

my thoughts!

fisto

Post by fisto » Wed May 25, 2011 8:15 am

@ the guys defending Live and not worrying about the sound-engine: be happy but please let those who have problems talk about it. Seems to me that you guys are either deaf or you make music where the soundquality is not important at all.

Those who complain love Live and would like to actually finish songs in Live too, not only do the layout there. But at the current moment it is not possible as PDC will make your tune sound muddy the longer you work on it.
So please noobs, nobody asked you. You're free to be happy with Live while others will be complaining till Live works as it should, ok?