Turnado - tackiest promo video ever?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cezband

Re: Turnado - tackiest promo video ever?

Post by Cezband » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Looks really fun for using live, but that video eroded away a tiny bit of my soul which I'll never get back
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:41 pm

beats me wrote:[insert "Oh great, now everybody is going to use that effect to death!" quip]

FIRST!
Sure there will always be a bunch of users who will use the presets to death, but like I mentioned earlier, this one seems far more tweakable than Stutter Edit. Basically, you've got a bunch of effects whose parameters can be freely mapped to a single control knob - just the same way we've all been doing with Live racks all this time - 0R you can use Live's "configure" option to map individual parameters within the respective effects.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:31 pm

sporkles wrote:
beats me wrote:[insert "Oh great, now everybody is going to use that effect to death!" quip]

FIRST!
Sure there will always be a bunch of users who will use the presets to death, but like I mentioned earlier, this one seems far more tweakable than Stutter Edit. Basically, you've got a bunch of effects whose parameters can be freely mapped to a single control knob - just the same way we've all been doing with Live racks all this time - 0R you can use Live's "configure" option to map individual parameters within the respective effects.

I just said that because somebody always has to. I really don’t care if something has a tell tale sound. I have a lot of fun with Traktor’s gater and beatmasher effects and couldn’t care less if some punter gets all proud of themselves with being able to name it within 2 seconds of activation.

I also don’t care if similar effects can be made with Live’s effects and racks. Some people enjoy that type thing. I don’t.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:15 pm

^ I realised that, but for those that didn't, I felt like emphasising how much more versatile this unit is than what meets the eye.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:16 pm

I tried the Demo last night and thought it was pretty nice. Seemed relatively low on CPU consumption. Granted you can make Racks in Live, and you could even stack effects in racks on chains, AND you could even use ClyphX to make presets, but the ease of doing all that with Turnado and just saving presets is pretty nice.

Still not sure if it's worth money though, or at least that much money.

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Not to mention horrible timing with the name...

Still gonna check it though, I love Artillery.
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Looking at the tutorial videos, I think I see the problem: crank down the enthusiasm in the promo video a little, and mix in a bit of the seriousness and matter-of-fact approach in the tutorial videos, and you have a winner! :lol:

Played around some more with the demo, and I am fricking SOLD! This is, hands down, the most intuitive and easily graspable way of dealing with effect chains ever!

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:23 pm

Mmmm... I might try assigning wet/dry or on/off to the beginning portion of some of my Live macro knobs.

I'll then put the €139 euros I've just saved in my APC40 piggy bank. :mrgreen:

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:06 am

This FX seems a good idea if don't own Live. The features explained in the (very toys-r-us like) video, looks very similar to a Live effect rack. The one-knob is a quasi blend between the fx chains.

cheers
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:29 am

The One Knob thing is more pwerful than effects chains as it allows you to smart effect stuff, only have it automating within ranges. I built a max4live device that does this but their interface seems to be much more intuitive (and pretty)

Just watching the tutorial videos i'd argue its one of the most powerful devices i've seen built combining many of the best feature of other devices i've seen and a very cool interface that allows you to get real deep or simply just choose presets. I haven't looked at the price and i don't think i'll be picking up a demo for now though simply because i'd lose myself and i've got other things to do!

Cheers
D

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:42 am

If anyone own reaktor, i can recommend toxonic glitch.

http://co.native-instruments.com/index. ... tchid=8649

have fun folks :)
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

condra

Post by condra » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:09 am

Big fan of Sugar Bytes here too.

Great software, but WTF with the promo?
Those harmonies are very cheesy.