Where's performance dance music going?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
skatr2

Where's performance dance music going?

Post by skatr2 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:25 pm

This weekend I'm at DEMF and am really noticing the huge exodus to laptops...much larger than I would have ever predicted 10 years ago when I was rockin vinyl. So for some of you out there who perform either from ableton or some other equipment, how is it going? Vinyl (and even cds), all I had to do was show up with my records...maybe a better needle or 2...headphones and im strapped in. As its been a while since I have performed (as a dj) or really been IN the game, I'm interested in getting back in while sticking with ableton focusing on DJing with some emphasis on producing. Is it a chore to play at events? do you show up with a minimal setup (controller, laptop, and AI), or do you have a rig with special mixers (ala xone 4d) that is easy to incorporate into any setup?

beats me

Re: Where's performance dance music going?

Post by beats me » Mon May 30, 2011 3:56 pm

It shouldn't be a surprise that everybody is moving to laptops. I'll be doing a gig this weekend with the Traktor S4. With my laptop I have access to all my 8,264 tracks. How many vinyl crates would that be?

Also my roommate who started with vinyl and is now on CDs played with my S4 controller with Traktor this past weekend for the first time and now looks at his traditional hardware with disgust.

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:27 pm

It's going to be moving the same direction as everything else. Why would you use vinyl or even CD's for that matter? with ableton live and MP3's you have way more options then being set to what is on your vinyl or c.d.'s.

like beats me said how many crates of vinyl would it take to bring all of his 8,200 tracks?!

Plus with ableton or traktor you can edit change and sample things a million times better and faster then you would on vinyl.

Does any one buy cd's any more?
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Mon May 30, 2011 7:11 pm

if the music got released on vinyl i'd like to mix with that, having to connect the laptop in a dark club while another dj is playing is pain every time.
i want less tracks but good, big artworks that makes me remember about the track because i'm getting old and can't remind all those names, and a fat heavy record bag to keep me feet :-)

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:40 pm

freshdrumma wrote:if the music got released on vinyl i'd like to mix with that, having to connect the laptop in a dark club while another dj is playing is pain every time.
i want less tracks but good, big artworks that makes me remember about the track because i'm getting old and can't remind all those names, and a fat heavy record bag to keep me feet :-)
Good point.... but hooking up my laptop is one plugin....

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon May 30, 2011 9:53 pm

justchris86 wrote:.

nope. and good riddance. the whole compact disc thing (dvd, blue ray) was a horrible idea for storing media.
they are big they scratch and are ugly. if media really has to be stored on some little piece of plastic they should have gone with sd years ago... but now its to late.

so on with downloads. if you like artwork buy vinyl.
im almost to the point where i dont really care about the smell or the feel of tangible media.
i like artwork but im also fine having it on a computer, unless its a painting .
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Mon May 30, 2011 10:17 pm

I have extensively watched one men live acts the last years. my conclusion 90% of them are just boring and predictable compared to a good dj set, even if they have a pretty good reputation. I much prefer a dj who just mix two good tracks. (don't care if it's digital or vinyl). I really think that djing is the best way to perform dance music.

But I'm interested in music performance with more than one performer, I think this could have potential and break the stiffness from many solo live acts.

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:30 am

nathannn wrote:
justchris86 wrote:.

nope. and good riddance. the whole compact disc thing (dvd, blue ray) was a horrible idea for storing media.
they are big they scratch and are ugly. if media really has to be stored on some little piece of plastic they should have gone with sd years ago... but now its to late.

so on with downloads. if you like artwork buy vinyl.
im almost to the point where i dont really care about the smell or the feel of tangible media.
i like artwork but im also fine having it on a computer, unless its a painting .
Love it! I have been saying that for years! They damage so easily! Ugh

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue May 31, 2011 5:29 am

mr.ergonomics wrote:I have extensively watched one men live acts the last years. my conclusion 90% of them are just boring and predictable compared to a good dj set, even if they have a pretty good reputation. I much prefer a dj who just mix two good tracks. (don't care if it's digital or vinyl). I really think that djing is the best way to perform dance music.

But I'm interested in music performance with more than one performer, I think this could have potential and break the stiffness from many solo live acts.
i agree on everything you said. I have a friend who tours constantly worldwide ( vinyl only) we use serato and ableton etc etc etc. If you see a good crowd pleasing dj working the decks something special happens same can happen for laptop people but often it can static ie just another bit of music,

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:07 pm

Pretty interesting discussion I must say. I guess its hard to compare what I see at DEMF to what happens in a bar/club environment. At DEMF they have a good long table on every stage. As one act is playing, the other is setting up and has tons of places to plug in and hook up in the meantime. Guess each gig would have to dictate what I bring and how my set would go.