compact disc.. do you still buy them (no seriously..)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

Re: compact disc.. do you still buy them (no seriously..)

Post by ze2be » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 am

macmurphy wrote:that stealing is ok?

i don't know. sharing music among friends is one thing, but downloading music anonymously from the web
just seems weak and disrespectful to me. It's really no different at all to downloading cracked software etc.
We run a record label, and we want folks to copy our music. But don't steal it please! What ever that means, it does not sound good. Because we would like people to listen to our music. Thats all. If you made a copy of our music, I wouldn't call it stealing. But if you released it as yours, then it would be. In my opinion, of course.

Guess I just don't see any benefit in calling my fans criminals.

Moody

Post by Moody » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:27 am

ze2be wrote:

i don't know. sharing music among friends is one thing, but downloading music anonymously from the web
just seems weak and disrespectful to me. It's really no different at all to downloading cracked software etc.
We run a record label, and we want folks to copy our music. But don't steal it please! What ever that means, it does not sound good. Because we would like people to listen to our music. Thats all. If you made a copy of our music, I wouldn't call it stealing. But if you released it as yours, then it would be. In my opinion, of course.

I like this idea and feel the same. I am going to make the music regardless of it staying on my computer till I die or the computer dies with it, a million people buy it or a million people copy it out. I heard an interesting thing from some producer on a youtube at some point who said, "You have to have a scene, regardless of how many records you release. Otherwise they just end up at the bottom of the bin somewhere." Seems more relevant than ever.

So... I guess let's make a scene. I imagine the kind that doesn't involve rambling on about nonsense and ending up with a PI charge. :lol:
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:20 am

ze2be wrote:

well you dont have anything to worry about when it comes to stealing... but if you want people to copy your music we need a link to your music. i have no idea who you are.
but i also feel the only time some one is stealing something intangible is when they copy it and claim it as their own.
the only time you are a pirate is when you copy it claim it as your own and sell it.
what you are guilty of however is not owning an original copy. did you steal because you downloaded, no. you made a copy.
i only feel its wrong to make copies when you are selling them or making money from them. if other people have different convictions than myself then that is something they can deal with. i feel no guilt for copying music from the internet. i do feel paranoid sometimes but i dont feel like a criminal.

all that said... if i like something a lot i will be buying it on vinyl. now days almost everything i like is on vinyl.
piss on cd's. if its a local band i buy a ticket to their show.. and i dont buy t shirts because im not a walking billboard. to me wearing a band shirt is the equivalent of saying " hey everyone look at me and what im into.. be my friend?"
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:36 am

nathannnnnnn shut your bitch ass up, it's stealing.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:40 am

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:13 am

this thread has gone from "do you still buy a cd" to "is piracy right or wrong"

back on topic?

I dislike cds but I hate itunes so if the artist/label won't release the music as lossless digital files then I'll purchase the cd. Most times I don't miss the physical feel of music. But once in a while you run across an album where you love the music as a package. Then I'll buy the vinyl..

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:57 am

the_planet wrote:Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZm8vNHBSU
Then, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9bwH2L2JBo

Stealing. Heh.

Oh, the irony is killing me! :lol:

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:13 am

I listen to Classical Music: 60&
Jazz: 20&
Electronic/Pop/Rock/etc: 20%

...at a guess!

I buy CDs most weeks. I have a large collection of classical already (more than 500)... those I now buy are more often pop/rock/stuff for the car.

I like CDs. Understatement! I like it that I own the recording I buy, have a physical product, and can listen when/how I want.
I hate it that music is being cheapened through the internet, but recognise that the goal posts are always moving.
YMMV...
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:42 am

nathannn wrote: the only time you are a pirate is when you copy it claim it as your own and sell it.
oh really? so all the warez and torrent sites with software/films/games etc aren't in fact providing pirated stuff because they don't sell it?

nathannn, on the whole you seem like a reasonable fellow but i have never read such a huge amount of bullshit squeezed in to twenty words in my life! :wink:

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:38 am

Haha, what an amazing statement.

Basically you are a thief and will say pret-ty much anything, no matter how stupid, to make you feel better about stealing money from artists, who are one of the few groups of people dedicated to bring beauty in this world. Way to go mate!

But actually Macmurphy said it better
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:48 am

I sell my music as digital downloads - sometimes I give it away for nothing - if it's free, then you may copy it and distribute as you see fit, if it's not, then if you copy it, you are stealing from me... simples
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:19 am

I buy cds from nice little independant labels, as a support and cause i like their music. (:

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:14 pm

In the UK bars/venues have to pay the PRS to play music or have live bands. They then take that money and distribute it to artists. The joke here (which my mate who's a promoter pointed out to me) is that all the bands that play most of the venues he runs are often signed to small independent labels or unsigned, and they never book covers bands or DJs. So the PRS is taking money from them for a live band licence and distributing the money largely to the most popular global artists, but barely any at all to anyone who's music is actually played there!

Re: the "stealing" of music via downloads: IMHO copying tapes generally added to the popularity of bands. All the tapes I copied when I was younger meant I at least knew someone who had the original. Copying tapes off your mates spread the word, and sooner or later you bought stuff from them (or paid to see them live) if you liked it and listened to it. The problem in my mind is that these days 1 person can buy an album then distribute it to thousands of people across the world who also redistribute it. Tapes limited copying of music to a healthy sharing. The internet means some people work on a principle that they NEVER buy music, which is totally wrong in my opinion. Usually people who aren't musicians and have never saved thousands to pay for equipment they never see their money back on. Sure, I do occasionally go to the likes of pirate bay to check out an odd band or artist, but still buy a lot more music than I ever "steal". And if I do, I make an effort to either then buy that stuff, or buy something else by the artist if I listen to and like it. Especially since Amazon/Play et al often do CDs for £4-£10. It's not like the old days of £16.99 CDs from HMV.

My 2p's worth...
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Hervé wrote:I buy cds from nice little independant labels, as a support and cause i like their music. (:
Digging the origami one!

My last CD was Lamb's new album "5". Limited Edition with bonus CD, and everyone who pre-ordered is in the thank-you's pull out poster! The music on that's definitely worth more than whatever fancy-box price it was, even if they'd just emailed it to me! :mrgreen:

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Simbosan wrote:Haha, what an amazing statement.

Basically you are a thief and will say pret-ty much anything, no matter how stupid, to make you feel better about stealing money from artists, who are one of the few groups of people dedicated to bring beauty in this world. Way to go mate!

But actually Macmurphy said it better

with as many outlets to get free music i really dont "steal" music as much as you may think. the last album i "stole" from the internet was 65daysofstatic's newest sometime last year. i am glad i did and did not waste my money on the vinyl because i feel the album is garbage.
you may think i am the type of person who will say anything to make myself feel better based on my postings but that is not me.if i need to feel better about something i produce actions to clear my conscience.

this is the internet so i could make up any lie about myself which i chose. i could come on here like many others and claim that i am innocent of what is considered piracy but i am not.
why am i posting a response even, well you have hit a nerve. i dont like being called a thief and i also feel musicians are the few people who do bring beauty to the world.

here is what i will do since it IS bothering me being called a thief, i am making a promise to use self control by not downloading music for free that if it is intended on being sold by the artist. if the artist provides it for free then i will download it if i like it. i will however still listen to it if someone places it on youtube. and i will still search for new releases on you tube to preview the album if it is not available for preview through the artist website or i tunes.

like i said though i will not download music that is intended to be sold. if the album is out of print (wich is almost never the case with music i like) then i will download it because i am not flying to another country just to pick up an album.

now if some one wants to tell me that i am still a thief because i preview an album or listen to an album on youtube
then my punk rock ethics will kick in and i will give you a swift "fuck off".
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.