Is There Any Daw That Feature Threshold Recording?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
o0o

Is There Any Daw That Feature Threshold Recording?

Post by o0o » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:00 am

just like the feature on samplers.
rabbit

henke

Re: Is There Any Daw That Feature Threshold Recording?

Post by henke » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:26 am

Not that i am aware of, but this is one of the things one could easily program in MaxForLive...

I wrote a device for myself which creates a new audio clip each time a signal reaches a threshold after a minimum period where the sound is below a different threshold. Work very well for recording individual percussion hits into clips. However the device is not in a 'releasable' state yet and i have no time to finish it.

Robert

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:01 am

Somebody already made one, seems to work pretty well too.

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device.php?id=425

o0o

Post by o0o » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:30 am

thanks to both of you for the info, so what are the requirements for these max4live devices. I don't have max, or max4live. will the device work with just the latest version of Live?

and would this work for taking the need to sync live with hardware out of the equation, I would like to put one of these devices on 4-6 of lives tracks and then hit play on my hardware sequencer, playing my hardware instruments into live this way?
rabbit

henke

Post by henke » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:57 am

o0o wrote:thanks to both of you for the info, so what are the requirements for these max4live devices. I don't have max, or max4live. will the device work with just the latest version of Live?

and would this work for taking the need to sync live with hardware out of the equation, I would like to put one of these devices on 4-6 of lives tracks and then hit play on my hardware sequencer, playing my hardware instruments into live this way?
Hi o0o,
you need to buy MaxForLive, since there is currently no free M4L runtime version. It will not work with Live alone.

The device present on maxforlive. com only starts recording when an input signal arrives.
I assume what you want is a bit more elaborate. And, no if you do not sync Live with the hardware sequencer you'll end up with a recording that has tempo X whilst it is recorded in Live with tempo Y. Not a problem if you want to use Live simply as a HD recorder like PT, but as soon as you want to do beatwise editing / looping this becomes an issue.

I would suggest trying to slave your hardware to the tempo of Live and record into Live whilst the tempo of Live is stable. This way you'll get the best sounding results. Depending on your hardware sequencer you might need to investigate into the best ways to sync them to MIDI. The automatic recording via Max4Live seems to be the less important issue here to me.

Robert

fx23

Post by fx23 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:11 pm

usine does, and you can drop usine free vsti on a live track and rec with threshold.

o0o

Post by o0o » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:38 am

ok I think I understand Robert, and thanks for the other tips guys, looks like I'm overcomplicating things.
rabbit

hughchap

Post by hughchap » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:20 pm

Just to update this - Ross From Friends aka Felix Clary Weatherall wrote Thresho, released last year at https://maxforlive.com/library/device/6 ... %20Friends

"Thresho is a utility that records up to 4 stereo audio inputs automatically based on a user-defined db threshold. Once the audio reaches that threshold, Thresho begins recording; once the audio drops below the threshold, and the ‘decay’ period has been completed, it stops recording.

The timestamped file is then, by default, imported into the user’s ‘User Library’ within ableton’s sidebar for easy access within other projects."