Using Encoder to change parameter and switch on/off device

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pitchthrill

Using Encoder to change parameter and switch on/off device

Post by Pitchthrill » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi guys,

i hope this is the right place to ask the question.

what i am trying to do is using one encoder of my APC40 to control one macro parameter in audio effect rack. When the controller is at 0 i want the device to shut off. when the encoder value is between 1 and 127 i want the device
be switched on.
in order to do this i am using live's midi mapping feature (when everything mappable turns blue). With my old MPD24 this worked like a charme. but with my APC40 the device parameter suddenly jumps to 127 when the encoder goes above 0. This only happens if i twist the knob quickly. if i do it very slowly it will work as expected => the parameter value gous up and the device will switch on.
Does anybody know what the problem is?

I hope I expressed myself clear enough...

Hermanus

Re: Using Encoder to change parameter and switch on/off device

Post by Hermanus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:19 pm

Maybe try it with macro knob for rack devices not midi mapping.
And see if it goes better.

maybe a latency problem though, I also had this once with fast rotating play with knobs
try low down latency.

Hope it helps

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:02 pm

Another option is to set up a rack with two chains, where at 0 the effects are bypassed, and when you turn the knob it switches to the effected chain and increases the effect. I did this for some of my DJ racks (For example Washed Out and Super Luper v2):

http://tarekith.com/assets/TarekithDJEFXv8.zip

I'd recommend using a bit more room on the dry chain though, not just 0 is off. Maybe 0-4 to give yourself some wiggle room when playing live.

danryanfl

Post by danryanfl » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:09 pm

are you using the default "device control" setup for the apc40 where the device control knobs automatically switch to whatever device the blue hand is on? If so it must be reading your macro knob as an on/off type control even though it is assigned to a continuous range type of control as well...

If this is the case I think the advice about creating two signal chains and assigning the macro knob to quickly crossfade between the two chains near a value of 0 (like from 0 to 2 or something) is probably the best way to go; that way the apc40 will think of the macro knob as a continuous encoder type knob...

Pitchthrill

Post by Pitchthrill » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:09 pm

thanks guys! took me right to the solution - i am using the two chain way now.
it does what it is supposed to do :) no clicks and a smooth transition.
it still would be nice to be able switch an effect rack off completly, since some of my effect racks are quite CPU expensive. but until now i don't need it that much.

@danryanfl: i use a custom midi remote script which takes out the device and bluehand features. i use ableton + APC mainly for a live set. When we played the "blue hand" just made me crazy.

@Hermanus: sorry, but i do not understand, i guess. what do you mean? "Maybe try it with macro knob for rack devices not midi mapping.
And see if it goes better." switching devices off within the effect rack? using the macro mapping?

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:26 am

well forget what I said, the two chain way is the best.

shame I've not even thought about it as I use it a lot.

dr.mysterium

Post by dr.mysterium » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:06 pm

One can create this two chain rack as mentioned, then right click this rack and group to new rack, and map the effect and rack power switches to one of the new top level macros.
Mapping power switches to macros as 1 to 126 turns the power off at 0 (full left), and off at full on 127 as well.
(Full right turn). Turnado style.
I am Dr. M. Solo artist, member of 86BiTz, host of the Perfect Glitch Show, & the Live Jam Video Stream. Music on Soundcloud and BandCamp. Jam Archive on Patreon•••• I master audio & produce video of all of the above as Tremendm Labs on YouTube.