Page 1 of 1

USB hub?

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:06 pm
by alex1fly
Hey all, do you have recommendations for reliable USB hubs that can handle a lot of inputs? Right now I have a 4-plug usb snake, which is okay. It craps out sometimes when I have all 4 plugs taken up. And I often have to unplug and re-plug it in, which is a hassle.

As far as USB gear, I'm trying to plug in my APC40, my audio interface, a midi keyboard, a midi drumpad, another midi keyboard, electronic drums soon, and then I have a printer I'd also like to plug in.

Need something that will handle all these USB plugins just fine. Advice?

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:45 pm
by H20nly
i don't think that there is too much to worry about. they're pretty straight forward. personally, i'd get one that has its own power... that might help with the crapping out.

something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Port-Spe ... =pd_cp_e_4

if there is another comparably priced by a manufacturer that has been doing this awhile (like Belkin) i might be more apt to select their product than a no name brand, but the good news is that they're pretty inexpensive so even if you get burned you're not out much on the cash side.

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:52 am
by Warrior Bob
I use a D-Link DUB H7 and it seems to work out pretty well, although occasionally my mouse doesn't power up when I bring my Macbook Pro back from sleep. I don't know if this is the hub's fault or the computer's fault. But it does have 7 ports and I've had 6 of them going at once before without any trouble.

I use a Launchpad, Axiom 49, Korg nanoKontrol, BCR2000 and a USB mouse an keyboard usually. None of these seem like overly huge power draw-ers though.

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:20 am
by arbee
definatly go with a powered one if you want to make some serious music making.

I've used belkin products with success so far. heard great things about d-link stuff as well.

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:26 am
by oblique strategies
If you use a USB hub consider getting one that is Multi-TT (Multi-Transaction Translator).

Single vs. Multi-TT hub comparison:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb ... 677-3.html

Example:
7-port multi-TT powered hub by Cables Unlimited
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited- ... 660&sr=8-1

Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub
To allow high-speed devices to operate in their fastest mode all hubs between the devices and the computer must be high speed. High-speed devices should fall back to full-speed when plugged in to a full-speed hub (or connected to an older full-speed computer port). While high-speed hubs support all device speeds, low and full-speed traffic is combined and segregated from high-speed traffic through a transaction translator. Each transaction translator segregates lower speed traffic into its own pool, essentially creating a virtual full-speed bus. Some designs use a single transaction translator, while other designs have multiple translators. Having multiple translators is only a significant benefit when connecting multiple high-bandwidth full-speed devices.[1]

It is an important consideration that in common language (and often product marketing) USB 2.0 is used as synonymous with high-speed. However, because the USB 2.0 specification, which introduced high-speed, incorporates and supersedes the USB 1.1 specification, any compliant full-speed or low-speed device is still a USB 2.0 device. Thus, not all USB 2.0 hubs operate at high-speed.

NOTE: Just repaired the links. :)

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:00 am
by H20nly
^ good shit.

need the speed, get the speed. the name of the game.

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:55 am
by bosonHavoc
main thing with powered hubs, make sure the power supply has .5 amps per device you want to power... so if you want to power 4 devices be sure that the power supply is at least 2 amps

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:28 am
by FrankieP
I use this one... http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/USB2HUB7/

Image

I have all seven devices connected to it with no problems.

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:23 pm
by fishmonkey
Warrior Bob wrote:I use a D-Link DUB H7 and it seems to work out pretty well, although occasionally my mouse doesn't power up when I bring my Macbook Pro back from sleep. I don't know if this is the hub's fault or the computer's fault. But it does have 7 ports and I've had 6 of them going at once before without any trouble.
i have one of these too. also have the same annoying problem with my trackball sometimes not connecting when my MacBook Pro wakes.

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:19 am
by Warrior Bob
oblique strategies wrote:If you use a USB hub consider getting one that is Multi-TT (Multi-Transaction Translator).

Single vs. Multi-TT hub comparison:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb ... 677-3.html

Example:
7-port multi-TT powered hub by Cables Unlimited
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited- ... 660&sr=8-1
Thanks for these links... if I look to replace my D-link then these are going to be really helpful. :)
fishmonkey wrote:i have one of these too. also have the same annoying problem with my trackball sometimes not connecting when my MacBook Pro wakes.
Did you happen to have the same problem with any other hubs? I got this hub because it's apparently what the guys in Glitch Mob use according to some interview, so I figured it'd be at least solid. I'd test if I had another hub readily available but I unfortunately don't.

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:14 am
by fishmonkey
Warrior Bob wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:i have one of these too. also have the same annoying problem with my trackball sometimes not connecting when my MacBook Pro wakes.
Did you happen to have the same problem with any other hubs? I got this hub because it's apparently what the guys in Glitch Mob use according to some interview, so I figured it'd be at least solid. I'd test if I had another hub readily available but I unfortunately don't.
i don't have this problem with another Logitech 4-port hub i use, however i usually connect my high-speed and full-speed (stupid naming convention) devices to separate hubs, with all the slow stuff on the D-Link DUB-H7.

however i have a hunch that the problem may be because most 7-port hubs are actually two 4-port hubs cascaded. i have plugged my trackball into a different port on the D-Link and i haven't had the connection glitch so far. however it only happens occasionally anyway so it's too early to tell if that has fixed the problem.

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 pm
by beviz
http://www.manhattan-products.com/en-US ... -ultra-hub
Can't really complain about this one, bought it about half a year ago for next to nothing (about 25 euros lol) and since then I've never had any trouble with it, while using all 7 ports.

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:29 pm
by Breaks Dude
I have the Cables Unlimited multi-tt hub and it's awesome.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CC0Q8wIwBA

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:09 am
by alex1fly
I had no idea USB hubs were so complicated! I'll take your (plural) advice. Excited to have solid USB operation.

Re: USB hub?

Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:49 am
by Hervé
Been in a quest for the perfect one in a long time, something solid (Metal) powered...
http://www.usbmax.com/view_product_info ... ryidds=104
8O
I'm really happy here.