using VST with ableton 8? Basic steps for installation/use?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rclarke2112

using VST with ableton 8? Basic steps for installation/use?

Post by rclarke2112 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:56 pm

I recently purchased ableton suite 8 about 3 months ago. I am trying to use the native Instrument's Massive as one of (my first) VSTi plug-in. When I go to the plug in option on the left side (under live devices) there is nothing, and no options to install Massive or other plug-ins like there was when I first tried installing it. I also tried accessing it through library/audio/plug-in/VST. It was found there but when I clicked on it nothing happened? Shouldn't Massive have shown up someone on the ableton screen?
I restarted my computer and the plug-in issue still occurred (opened new live set as well), and I also went the VST option in the library and now massive is no where to be found.
So basically what do I do to get massive successfully installed/working with ableton?

I appreciate any help!!!!!

The Philosopher King

Re: using VST with ableton 8? Basic steps for installation/use?

Post by The Philosopher King » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Any help?

OK. Some basics;

YouTube: Ableton Live: Installing Plugins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fq6J1SqjWw

rclarke2112

Post by rclarke2112 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:13 pm

I've tried that video, and to follow some of the things it does but it doesn't seem to work and it's somewhat confusing? is this how it works for everyone and every plug-in?

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:22 am

make a folder c:\VST

copy or install your Massive.dll into that folder..

open up live's preferences (options, preferences in file menu)

click the 'File Folder' tab and set the 'Use VST Plug-in Custom Folder' to 'On' and the path for 'VST Plug-in Custom Folder' to c:\VST

when you add the path to the custom folder, it should scan & add Massive to your vst list.

of course all this information is located in the handy manual for reference.

rclarke2112

Post by rclarke2112 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:13 pm

I followed all those steps and it still isn't showing up... maybe i should re-install it?
THanks though

evangelink

Post by evangelink » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:35 pm

If you are certain that Ableton is looking in the right place for your VST's, then I'd suggest you try the force-rescan option.

Under the preferences menu, in the tab marked 'file folder' you can press rescan to search your VST folder. Before you press rescan, hold down the 'alt' key (on Windows, not sure about Mac). This will do a deep search of your VST folder. I've had a few plug ins show up this way.