FIRST kick is way too loud WTF!?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beatsbycetty

FIRST kick is way too loud WTF!?

Post by beatsbycetty » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:45 pm

I have a problem with the opening kick its wayyy to loud and ive checkd the effects ive addd on and there all at 127 so it isnt too loud there (all kicks at 127 and sound fine except the opening) , so idno wtf is going on why its wayy too loud . i have a 5 bar opener with a sample , then it drops with the drums over it, and the first kick is just fuckin BOOMing wayy too loud even makes it sounds a lil distorted... anyone help me out on this? MUCH appreciated!!

H20nly

Re: FIRST kick is way too loud WTF!?

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:54 pm

is it doubled? or is there another kick triggering at the same time?

i've found that if i drag kicks or snares to drum racks that they layer up rather than replacing the previous one. double check any racks or delete the kick (not the MIDI pattern) and then add it back.

maybe check arrange view in case you inadvertently recorded something additional there...

hope this helps...
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

tech44

Post by tech44 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 am

beatsbycetty wrote:I have a problem with the opening kick its wayyy to loud and ive checkd the effects ive addd on and there all at 127 so it isnt too loud there (all kicks at 127 and sound fine except the opening) , so idno wtf is going on why its wayy too loud . i have a 5 bar opener with a sample , then it drops with the drums over it, and the first kick is just fuckin BOOMing wayy too loud even makes it sounds a lil distorted... anyone help me out on this? MUCH appreciated!!
Do you have compression on the track? If so, turn it off and see what happens. Most likely what H2O says though.
-----
Audiobombs.com: Free ableton racks, soundsets, touchosc templates and more.

beatsbycetty

Post by beatsbycetty » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:32 am

thanks guys ill try and delete the second kick . . there is compression on both kicks but a couple times it worked without the loudness and then i export it and listen to it and there it is...it only blasts the first kick tho the rest are all good... but ill try wut u guys said thanks!

auditory canvas

Post by auditory canvas » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:54 am

Sounds like the kicks are being heavily compressed, and what you're hearing is the 1st kick coming in before the compressor's attack time setting has reached it's peak.

Turn of the compressor for a minute - if all the kicks are now loud, then turn them down rather than hammering them with a compressor, they'll sound better, then add a little compression once they're a good level if you need to.

RECYCLE BIN

Post by RECYCLE BIN » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Is it safe to PAN 2nd or 3rd kick tracks? I've tried it but it sounds to upfront even with the levels turned down.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:09 pm

RECYCLE BIN wrote:Is it safe to PAN 2nd or 3rd kick tracks? I've tried it but it sounds to upfront even with the levels turned down.
"safe"?? i doubt it will hurt anything too bad, but as a general rule kicks aren't panned. one reason for that is the fact that if your mix ends up on a mono system (like the ones typical in clubs) your panning will all be smashed back to center.

its best not to have too many surprises on the low frequencies or your mix can end up muddy. if you want big bass out of your kicks it might be better to find a kick with a long release than to spread multiple instances across your mix. IMHO.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

RECYCLE BIN

Post by RECYCLE BIN » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:23 am

You are right. I've tried many scenerios on panning multiple kicks and it turned out muddy. My goal is trying to get a thump with a tail. I just layered a thump kick and a soft kick with a tail and rendered it to .wav file and added it on the drum rack. Now I have what I want.
This is all new to me!

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:20 am

sounds like compressor/limiter is not set correctly.
Noob

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:17 am

If you really want the compressor setting you have (which IMHO seem wrong, but maybe you like the result), then stick a few kicks before the point where you want to hear them and zero the track fader. Bring it up in tie for the first kick you actually want to hear which will give the compressor time to settle before you hear the kick.

However, you will get the same headache anywhere else the kick comes in, so maybe just better fixing the compressor settings.
Nothing to see here - move along!

beatsbycetty

Post by beatsbycetty » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:07 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:sounds like compressor/limiter is not set correctly.
Noob
it wasnt either of those . . lol noob..

thanks to everyone else for the help!

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:09 pm

upload your project? sounds like the user to me

beatsbycetty

Post by beatsbycetty » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:11 pm

ARDJ wrote:upload your project? sounds like the user to me
i had an xtra efonthe 2nd kick, www.youtube.com/beatsbycetty itll b on there