Best Sounding DAW

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
evon
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: Jamrock

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by evon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:23 pm

Ohh boy oh boy...I see where you are coming from. The topic is very simple "Best Sounding DAW".

I would believe that topic is soliciting opinions based on each persons subjective hearing.

You know the topic might just be a no-topic....because come to think of it...DAWs dont "sound"., Instruments do.
And to think I have led all you wise arses on and on, and getting some very intelctual retorts on a non-topic :lol:
fe real!

Khazul
Posts: 3185
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Reading, UK

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by Khazul » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:59 pm

There is a place for both - subjectivity is about perceiving that there may be something wrong. This may lead you on to devising some tests to objectively prove or disprove something is wrong.

Of course if you cant objectively prove that something is wrong, then that just means that there is nothing wrong within the scope of you tests rather than nothing is wrong at all. Maybe you are looking in the wrong place, maybe the test is invalid anyway, or just maybe there is nothing wrong at all ;)

If you really think you hear something out of place, then a could starting point is to test what you actually hear - ie bouncing the output of your audio interface if you can, then working inwards.
Nothing to see here - move along!

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by H20nly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:33 pm

evon wrote:You know the topic might just be a no-topic....because come to think of it...DAWs dont "sound"., Instruments do.
And to think I have led all you wise arses on and on, and getting some very intelctual retorts on a non-topic :lol:
:lol:

i had started to point out the fact that DAWs don't actually make sound, they manage it, but in the face of such expert testimonial it seemed like a minor detail.

crumhorn
Posts: 2503
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:04 pm

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by crumhorn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:36 pm

If you are asking which DAW sounds best in terms of which will produce the best sounding track - taking into account all the tools provided, the built in EQ, effects and instruments and time stretching algorithms, etc, then the answer will be different for everyone depending on personal taste and what they are trying to acheive. It's a bit like asking which is the best guitar or which is the best wheelbarrow. It is not possible to give any kind of reasonable answer because it depends on too many factors.

It's fair to point out obvious defects and strengths of each option, but who can say which is best when there is no consensus on what is meant by "best".

On the other hand if you think you can hear a difference that is not measurable then you are either insane or just a troll.

When people make statements like "Live sounds like bullshit when recording" I have to assume they fall into the second group.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

ollyb303
Posts: 2666
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:12 pm

evon wrote:
ollyb303 wrote:
evon wrote:if you guys were hearing what I was hearing you would change your argument.
:roll:

You're an idiot.
And I guess you arrived at that conclusion by a scientific analysis. :oops: Well it seems to me you arrived at that subjectively, and maybe also by consensus.

So you seem to have your stuff all mixed up. You dont know what you are hearing so you analyze it scientifically and then you determine that I am idiot without showing how you arrived at that conclusion.

And my friend that leaves me to conclude that you are even a bigger idiot than I..my conclusions have determined that you are a fool.
No, it's a fairly simple mathematical equation:

The amount of statements you make that have some basis in reality divided by the total number of statements you make, multiplied by 100 to give a percentage...
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

evon
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: Jamrock

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by evon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:47 pm

It seems now things are beginning to sober up :mrgreen: The paranoia has faded. Live is still fine.

You know I have a feeling that most of the people who replied on this post are non-Americans, they seemed offended by opposition. I myself am not an American, but I have always admired the Americans for their show of democrat ism.
fe real!

evon
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:44 pm
Location: Jamrock

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by evon » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:57 pm

There you go again, so what your ears perceive is not reality? What is reality? There is nothing objective about reality, I am sure. So once again making assumptions about reality has already skewed your maths.
fe real!

AceLuby
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Mpls, MN
Contact:

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by AceLuby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:17 pm

evon wrote:There you go again, so what your ears perceive is not reality? What is reality? There is nothing objective about reality, I am sure. So once again making assumptions about reality has already skewed your maths.
There's nothing objective about reality? Really? If you believe that you're retarded, otherwise, just go away troll.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

ollyb303
Posts: 2666
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Frankly I'm sick of beating my head against a brick wall with this thread. I can only conclude that you're trolling, evon, so for that reason, I'm out. Fuck you.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by H20nly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:08 pm

ollyb303 wrote:Frankly I'm sick of beating my head against a brick wall with this thread.
is this brick wall on the master track and does it color the sound of your DAW?

AceLuby
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Mpls, MN
Contact:

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by AceLuby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:16 pm

H20nly wrote:
ollyb303 wrote:Frankly I'm sick of beating my head against a brick wall with this thread.
is this brick wall on the master track and does it color the sound of your DAW?
How did you know? I got the easter bunny w/ his HUGE ears to confirm this.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Image
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

Usedtobe
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by Usedtobe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:08 pm

why are dudes who don't like ableton posting on the ableton forum?

I put a dowel rod on a lil dc motor, didn't sound too hot. also my drumset is out of tune.

I also need new shoelaces, mine ripped.

ollyb303
Posts: 2666
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:47 pm

AceLuby wrote:
H20nly wrote:
ollyb303 wrote:Frankly I'm sick of beating my head against a brick wall with this thread.
is this brick wall on the master track and does it color the sound of your DAW?
How did you know? I got the easter bunny w/ his HUGE ears to confirm this.

OMG i love you guys xx
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

kb420
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:35 am
Location: Cydonia on the 4th Planet

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by kb420 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:58 am

Image
H20nly wrote:fuck Bitwig.

Post Reply