Best Sounding DAW

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
3dot...

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:31 pm

:lol:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:47 pm

OK OK

the answer is ... New York Cheesecake is the best tasting cake.

evon

Post by evon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:53 pm

abluesky wrote:I was involved in a double blind test between Logic 9 and Protolols 8, using top of the line conversion in a professional studio built for film and TV scoring.

No plugins were used. Just listened to the same track - interleaved stereo file - through the two different programs going through the same IO.

I was able to identify which file was Protools and which was Logic 10 out of 12 times.

Another who took the same test did so 9 out of 12 times.

Rendering out the same file in both Protools and Logic resulted in null.

Go figure.
Good point, because at the end of the day it is the wav file we are aiming for, although after that there is still some distance to go before the finished product.

However, working in a "good sounding" DAW can have a significant effect on the final outcome, when we include the inspiration factor. Good sounds inspire more good, and even better sounds.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:56 pm

You know what I enjoy in all of this....the guys sitting on the fence and their remarks. They are really good at sitting on the fence. They just sit there and sit there, throughout everything.

Like 3dot and Anstrong :lol: (couldn't help noticing-makes me feel like I am in a poker game)
Last edited by evon on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fe real!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:59 pm

evon

Post by evon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:02 pm

Mmmm..from the looks of that it had to be baked in a state of the art oven.
fe real!

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:04 pm

abluesky wrote:Well, it was more than me and another dude. We just did it on the same day.

10 out of 12 isn't accurate huh? 10/12 is 83%. That's a high degree of accuracy in AI algorithms used to analyze human behavior. high enough to be published in academic journals anyway.

But that's not my point, whether it was accurate or not. MY POINT is that two files can null and at least two separate people will identify those as being different under double blind testing conditions. That's MY POINT.

Peace.
I think a professional statistician might question whether the testing method was flawed because of the very fact that you were asked to label the files as being made with either A or B DAW, which creates a presumption of a difference existing that's built into the line of questioning presented in the test. I believe that may be what they call in statistics a "confounding factor."
Unsound Designer

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:08 pm

if i were sitting on the fence in an announcers booth and had to describe what i've seen here...
H20 Sports Central wrote:...evon, is gaining speed in a streak of blue jersey and high knees making his play down the field... he's almost to the goal!!!

wait! ladies and gentlemen evon has switched to a green jersey and is making his play in the other direction... he's at the 50, the 40 the 30.... wait! what is this we're seeing today?

evon is now wearing a red jersey and holding a bat. he's swinging it at the other players... he misses, he misses again!

8O now he's wearing a blue jersey again. never before has such a drastic change of roster happened while the game is being played in the wild world of sports!

what team is he on and will he stay there? this is the big question on everyone's lips.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:14 pm

:lol: for evon I believe that would be a cricket bat with him eating cheesecake at Silly Point.

I want to switch to a DAW that sounds like shit so I can read their forums without all this nonsense.
"Beat Kangz DAW sounds like shit"
"of course it does"
<silence>
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, POD500HDX, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

abluesky

Post by abluesky » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:12 pm

stringtapper wrote:
abluesky wrote:Well, it was more than me and another dude. We just did it on the same day.

10 out of 12 isn't accurate huh? 10/12 is 83%. That's a high degree of accuracy in AI algorithms used to analyze human behavior. high enough to be published in academic journals anyway.

But that's not my point, whether it was accurate or not. MY POINT is that two files can null and at least two separate people will identify those as being different under double blind testing conditions. That's MY POINT.

Peace.
I think a professional statistician might question whether the testing method was flawed because of the very fact that you were asked to label the files as being made with either A or B DAW, which creates a presumption of a difference existing that's built into the line of questioning presented in the test. I believe that may be what they call in statistics a "confounding factor."
Yeah, I said so at the testing.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:41 pm

agreed!

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:50 am

abluesky wrote:I was involved in a double blind test between Logic 9 and Protolols 8, using top of the line conversion in a professional studio built for film and TV scoring.

No plugins were used. Just listened to the same track - interleaved stereo file - through the two different programs going through the same IO.

I was able to identify which file was Protools and which was Logic 10 out of 12 times.

Another who took the same test did so 9 out of 12 times.

Rendering out the same file in both Protools and Logic resulted in null.

Go figure.
I read this as 'I flipped a coin and guessed right 10/12 times, then my friend did and guessed right 9/12 times. We're pros!'

The null test shows they are the same waves coming from the speakers. It's math. If they are the same waves they are the same. Period. Your ears do not defy physics, I'm sorry.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:21 am

scutheotaku wrote:
abluesky wrote:I was involved in a double blind test between Logic 9 and Protolols 8
I'm a big fan of proto-lols. You know, that feeling you get right before you start laughing.
This sort of humour gets me chuckling every time :lol:
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:52 am

if a .wav file sounds different on two daw´s (same studio) there is only the possibility of different settings or something.
a .wav file is like something is written into stone. but if you put the stone to another location its possible that it looks like totally different.

a friend of mine did a test in a studio with cubase and fl studio. on the same day many different people did the test and NOBODY could identify the right daw. 2 / 2 mastering engineers couldn´t identify it too. move your head a little bit to the left or right and it will sound different... ;)

evon

Post by evon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:08 pm

H20nly wrote:if i were sitting on the fence in an announcers booth and had to describe what i've seen here...
H20 Sports Central wrote:...evon, is gaining speed in a streak of blue jersey and high knees making his play down the field... he's almost to the goal!!!

wait! ladies and gentlemen evon has switched to a green jersey and is making his play in the other direction... he's at the 50, the 40 the 30.... wait! what is this we're seeing today?

evon is now wearing a red jersey and holding a bat. he's swinging it at the other players... he misses, he misses again!

8O now he's wearing a blue jersey again. never before has such a drastic change of roster happened while the game is being played in the wild world of sports!

what team is he on and will he stay there? this is the big question on everyone's lips.

DAWs have unlimited tracks nowadays so even you can upgrade your one-track mind and try looking at things more panoramic.
That is why you kiss up so much, you are unwilling to agree with the facts as they present themselves but continue to be steadfast in your ignorance.
fe real!