Best Sounding DAW

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
2beats

Re: Best Sounding DAW

Post by 2beats » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:07 am

evon wrote: Sorry to disappoint you my friend... but I believe, listening to the comments here over the years, that most people on this forum will agree to that statement unreservedly. However, we still continue to use Live and will die for Live and I will leave you to figure that out.
Totally agree! Ableton live does color the mix a little. It is slight but it is there. All programs have there unique sound. It all has to do with the math and how it implements incredible complex algorithms and processes.

Note on recording... If you were in a studio doing a take with 100 tracks ablteon would just crash. It's not a 64 bit program.That is why it is not even in the same category as many daws... That being said in electronic and live performance it is hands down great.

Every program has it's faults and strengths. If people tell you other wise they are lying to themselves.
Last edited by 2beats on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac Cotec aka Subaqueous

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:10 am

2beats wrote:Ableton live does color the mix a little. It is not that noticeable, but it is there. All programs have there unique sound. It all has to do with the math and how it implements incredible complex algorithms and processes.
Please read this: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=147628

And also this: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=163893
Last edited by Rationalizer on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:17 am

2beats wrote:
evon wrote: Sorry to disappoint you my friend... but I believe, listening to the comments here over the years, that most people on this forum will agree to that statement unreservedly. However, we still continue to use Live and will die for Live and I will leave you to figure that out.
Totally agree! Ableton live does color the mix a little. It is not that noticeable, but it is there. All programs have there unique sound. It all has to do with the math and how it implements incredible complex algorithms and processes.

Note on recording... If you were in a studio doing a take with 100 tracks ablteon would just crash. It's not a 64 bit program.That is why it is not even in the same category as many daws... That being said in electronic and love performance it is hands down great.

Every program has it's faults and strengths. If people tell you other wise they are lying to themselves.
Can't find a quadruple facepalm pic right now, but that's what's required here...

I'm getting out of this thread before I start smashing shit up.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:20 am

Oh, there it is...
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

2beats

Post by 2beats » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:22 am

That second article was great. Thanks for sharing those.
Isaac Cotec aka Subaqueous

beviz

Post by beviz » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:19 am

Nigel Tufnel:(looking at a Ableton Live session) The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the screen, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most DAWS go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your DAW. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: These go to eleven.

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:48 am

What really galls me about these threads isn't whether an audio engine is good or bad or whatever the fuck is going on (there's plenty of nice balanced reading on the topic), it's the lack of artistic spirit in these pernickety little bastards who want to needlessly bicker about how differentiations in algorithms will somehow ruin their otherwise masterpiece mixes instead of either a) fine tuning knowledge or b)having fun with music. You've reached your conclusion. Good for you. Are you trying to convert the rest of us to your way of thinking with your snide, self-congratulatory little putzisms? Is that what you're trying to achieve? Because you'd have to be retarded not to realise that coming off as a total asshat is not the way to win over an audience.

:|
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

beviz

Post by beviz » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:52 am

Cezband wrote:What really galls me about these threads isn't whether an audio engine is good or bad or whatever the fuck is going on (there's plenty of nice balanced reading on the topic), it's the lack of artistic spirit in these pernickety little bastards who want to needlessly bicker about how differentiations in algorithms will somehow ruin their otherwise masterpiece mixes instead of either a) fine tuning knowledge or b)having fun with music. You've reached your conclusion. Good for you. Are you trying to convert the rest of us to your way of thinking with your snide, self-congratulatory little putzisms? Is that what you're trying to achieve? Because you'd have to be retarded not to realise that coming off as a total asshat is not the way to win over an audience.

that.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:54 am

beviz wrote:
Cezband wrote:What really galls me about these threads isn't whether an audio engine is good or bad or whatever the fuck is going on (there's plenty of nice balanced reading on the topic), it's the lack of artistic spirit in these pernickety little bastards who want to needlessly bicker about how differentiations in algorithms will somehow ruin their otherwise masterpiece mixes instead of either a) fine tuning knowledge or b)having fun with music. You've reached your conclusion. Good for you. Are you trying to convert the rest of us to your way of thinking with your snide, self-congratulatory little putzisms? Is that what you're trying to achieve? Because you'd have to be retarded not to realise that coming off as a total asshat is not the way to win over an audience.

that.
in a nutshell
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:15 pm

The mac version of any DAW sounds better than the PC version.

Cuz mac OS gives all the 0's and 1's a shiny big cat purr sound! When Lion comes out it will make the distortion roar more too.

:mrgreen:

(waits for virtual punch-up...)

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:19 pm

Piplodocus wrote:The mac version of any DAW sounds better than the PC version.

Cuz mac OS gives all the 0's and 1's a shiny big cat purr sound! When Lion comes out it will make the distortion roar more too.

On some PCs (so I've heard) the 1's can be as low as 0.997 and the 0's can be anywhere between -0.001 and +0.014.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:26 pm

crumhorn wrote:On some PCs (so I've heard) the 1's can be as low as 0.997 and the 0's can be anywhere between -0.001 and +0.014.
It's probably the added capacitance and inductance and resultant phase shift because they're so physically big. That's why steve jobs insists on macs being so small and thin; to make the phase shift nicer and reduce cancellation. 8)

evon

Post by evon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:30 pm

Hehehe..you know its amazin.. :lol: :lol: :lol: even though this topic is such a beaten track...it amazes me to see how it still continues to attract so much attention. Wish there was some way I could capitalize on all this traffic.

My conclusion is that people still want to know why some DAW's sound better than others. And with all the pros and cons there still has been no definite decider. It probably will always be a just a reality of life...Democrats and Republicans, Christian and Muslim etc.

The funny thing is that these various groups are capitalizing on the feud..well...I guess the DAW markers are benefiting from our continuous discourses when the crowd swings one way or the other. Therefore, since I am not a DAW maker is possible the best reason for me to leave this topic alone and never mention it again...until I start making DAWs that is.

Bye..catch you.
fe real!

evon

Post by evon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:33 pm

Piplodocus wrote:The mac version of any DAW sounds better than the PC version.

You want to start a next fight...meet me outside asshole :evil: :evil:

:lol:
fe real!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:29 pm

crumhorn wrote:
beviz wrote:

that.
in a nutshell
there's nothing like knowing (or thinking you know) how something works... to come along and take the magic right out of it.

i wonder if Quincy Jones endlessly pursues and feels the need to stay in the face of the makers and users of trumpets and/or DAWs he dislikes?

WWDMD - what would deadmau5 do? switch DAWs and fuck off or hang around attacking his previous choice beyond the point of pointlessness?

well, gotta go :arrow: there's this forum for this product i don't really care for that much, i need to log in and try to sound educated while i complain about that item for a while. :roll:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.