Apple new hour long speak.....cloud computing?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
HeadrickProductions

Apple new hour long speak.....cloud computing?

Post by HeadrickProductions » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:05 am

So I've watched most of this and still trying to understand cloud comuting. So for instance I ableton live 10 in the cloud. Can I then use this to my other devices. Also for instance if I put pics, of tracks that I intend to sell can these be ascess by others.

I understand the general idea. I'm just trying to understand more about how this works. To me it seems like a great idea. I'd love to have reason somewhere in the "cloud" and then be able to acceess it from where ever I wanted.

Maybe I'm missing something some if someone could explain further how this is going to take shape.

I'm not blow away by the new stuff but I do like all the gestures that could do great if music app developers.

It it like I feel if I buy live I should be able to put it on all my comuter anyways and this seems the way that it is going.

Thanks for helping me understand...interesting stuff

Thanks

not an apple fanboy but things could be to my liking in a few years
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

pulsoc

Re: Apple new hour long speak.....cloud computing?

Post by pulsoc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:57 am

Absolutely.

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:02 am

only if skynet lets you do any of this
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:33 am

Its a re-badged iDisk/mobileme for now as for as music apps like live/logic etc are concerned.
Nothing to see here - move along!

photonal

Post by photonal » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:10 am

Khazul wrote:Its a re-badged iDisk/mobileme for now as for as music apps like live/logic etc are concerned.
Except that Apple is offering developers access to the iCloud Storage APIs - so for example, Ableton could integrate iCloud services into Live which would say enable users to share Live sets or make collaboration easier between musicians.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:16 am

photonal wrote:
Khazul wrote:Its a re-badged iDisk/mobileme for now as for as music apps like live/logic etc are concerned.
Except that Apple is offering developers access to the iCloud Storage APIs - so for example, Ableton could integrate iCloud services into Live which would say enable users to share Live sets or make collaboration easier between musicians.
Well Ableton could implement iDisk access right now if they wanted to (not really a sensible move at this time IMHO). Need to use keychain for credentials and implement webdav wrapper code and then they could have an Export project as Live Pack to ... (iDisk, drop box, google, blah blah) and import project live pack from ... options.

The actual service integration for a variety of service is probably the least of the problems in implementing this as currently this isnt really the way live packs currently work, but probably could be made to work relatively easily.

Also what today is THE biggest headache sharing a live set? Answer - having the same set of resources and plugin that are needed. Alot of us already share sets via various means with folks we work with. I can use drop box today and it works really well in the background so long as I use collect all and save and I only use plugins that the other person(s) will have and bounce everything that they don't have.

A generic share potentially needs to have a means of freezing tracks to allow opening of the project without all the required plugins and samples. That suddenly makes the resulting storage requirements huge - take a 6 minute track with 20 tracks in it - freeze them all and tot up the storage needed, or even just do an export all and tot that up.

Unless all that infrastructure is put in place, then TBH there isnt alot of point in Share etc. A far better investment of time would be just embedding an mp3 encoder to allow publish to ... as mp3 for various mp3 hosting services. Lets face it - how many time have you wished you had a one click bounce to mp3 and upload to soundcloud so you could quickly privately share a preview bounce? Now suddenly an iDisk/iCloud export makes sense, and having done that an import aac/mp3 from iCloud is suddenly a tiny next step. Then add share drum/fx/instrument rack, clip or preset to/from iCloud or whatever next.

This is pretty much what logic has in it today for mobile me integration - not that I know anyone who actually uses it :)

Eventually work up to doing a full project share along with all the auto freeze support, or even some kind demand freeze support - ie if you are sharing a project for specific people, their shares could have inventory of available resource and you only freezer the bits they dont have the required resources for when sharing to a very small number of known close collaborators rather than a wider share that would need everything freezing.

IMHO exporting small simple things and mp3s exports etc makes sense - THATS what share should be - it facilitates sharing of resources ie patches, racks etc and thats relatively easy to deal with without getting into the whole project sharing technical and copyright mess. (Working on a copyright track remixes that you have the right to work on - has the share service violated copyright by allowing storage of it as part of a project?) - TBH - I dont know - its messy :)

Frederik654

Post by Frederik654 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:31 am

Right now I have Live installed on my laptop and desktop and I have it configured on both devices the same. I use dropbox to save livesets to and my samples are also on the dropbox page. So I can open a liveset on my laptop, save it, open it on the desktop and it works flawlessly. There is no need to setup your vst's in a special way since they refer to their own directory, only the samples need to refer to the same directory and that one is on dropbox too.

Really a great solution.
Live8 Suite, Logic Pro X, µTonic, Synplant, U-He ACE, U-He Zebra2.x, U-He Uhbik's, U-He DIVA, Tal Bassline, GURU, Genelec 8040's, SPL Control, Serato, Traktor, TouchAble

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:43 am

Frederik654 wrote:Right now I have Live installed on my laptop and desktop and I have it configured on both devices the same. I use dropbox to save livesets to and my samples are also on the dropbox page. So I can open a liveset on my laptop, save it, open it on the desktop and it works flawlessly. There is no need to setup your vst's in a special way since they refer to their own directory, only the samples need to refer to the same directory and that one is on dropbox too.

Really a great solution.
Exactly - another reason not to bother with doing project level share unless they can deal with the plugin (including AU vs VST) interop in a useful way.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:45 am

The most impressive part of the whole thing was the photos of the huge data-center / terminator factory at the end. Apparently all that bare land around it is to allow it to double in size - thats a hell of alot of terminators! :)

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:20 am

Forcing apps to use a special API for cloud integration is the wrong way to go IMO. Much better to integrate cloud storage options at the operating system level so that existing programs just see it as another folder in the file system.

This is just my reaction to the idea that Ableton should incorporate any vendor specific cloud API calls in their software; not a comment on iCloud which I know nothing about.

Personally I just map a drive letter to a webdisk folder on my web hosting service.

:!: In other news: Apple Buys iCloud.com For $4.5M from existing owner :!:

http://www.razorianfly.com/2011/04/28/a ... r-updated/

Time to get registering those iEverything.com domain names
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:04 pm

what is important for making good music?

this cloud ableton thing = neat but unimportant
basic features in live = very very important

developers don't have unlimited time...so I come to a clear conclusion for me about that.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:03 pm

If they used the API's though you could work on say your Mac Pro in the studio. Then open your macbook for gigging and the song is magically there.

Nice idea except I don't have 2 computers, and audio projects tend to be BIG!

Would be quite cool if the Live library did it though, so maybe projects don't copy, but your sample library stays synced on everything.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Piplodocus wrote:If they used the API's though you could work on say your Mac Pro in the studio. Then open your macbook for gigging and the song is magically there.

Nice idea except I don't have 2 computers, and audio projects tend to be BIG!
Yes - thats the problem - also the magic kind of vanishes when you have to wait around for you MBP to sync before you switch it off to stick it a backpack (unless you have an SSD and good air flow around it).

Just easier to copy the files or use some other folder sync tool. If gigging definitely would trust to hopethat when I get to a gig it will be there - when you find out there's no wifi or 3G access ;)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:48 pm

Khazul wrote:
Frederik654 wrote:Right now I have Live installed on my laptop and desktop and I have it configured on both devices the same. I use dropbox to save livesets to and my samples are also on the dropbox page. So I can open a liveset on my laptop, save it, open it on the desktop and it works flawlessly. There is no need to setup your vst's in a special way since they refer to their own directory, only the samples need to refer to the same directory and that one is on dropbox too.

Really a great solution.
Exactly - another reason not to bother with doing project level share unless they can deal with the plugin (including AU vs VST) interop in a useful way.

My roommate and I use Dropbox for sharing Logic projects and it works out great. I have an abundance of third party plugs and he has none so I either don’t use third party plugs on shared songs or I flatten to audio before I save. Just as impressively I could do the same thing with any of you using Dropbox with shared folders.

I don’t expect Apple’s alternative to be as open as Dropbox. When you install the Dropbox software on your computer it appears and functions the same as plugging an external drive into your computer. Apple is offering some kind of new shared folder service for computers that are on the same network, but there’s some kind of permission asking and granting steps involved on both ends. Dropbox you either just save or drag and drop and done. I’m not sure on PCs, but on Macs it informs all users of the folder that a new file has been added and when, but there’s no granting permission needed or downloading directly to your computer.