remix of Björk

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AdamJay

remix of Björk

Post by AdamJay » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:02 am

Well, tonite was kinda fucked up...
went to a club and saw a guy get a beer bottle smashed over his head during a fight, and then when we were trying to "Escape" the insuing melee, we soon found out that all the emergency exits were locked from the inside.

anyways... we got out of there and it inspired some downtempo which isn't usually what i do, but what the hey...

here it is:
http://www.djadamjay.com/music2/Bjork_S ... Remix).mp3

drum sounds are from Tacklebox/Beatbox. All the synths and bassline are impOSCar, and of course Björk.... composed live in Live 4.1
FX used were Analogic Delay, Ableton Reverb, Vintage Warmer and Waves L2.

conny

Post by conny » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:48 am

Just woke up in a mood as if had been the one that had the bottle smashed in the head, found your post and it was soothing. Thanks, feeling better already.
But: Emergency doors locked from the inside - thats horrible. It did in some way remind me of the discussions in the thread about freedom versus restrictions and the state of the word (that's ambigious!) etc, but that's not what I'm aiming at now.
Glad you escaped and did some heartwarming music.

Now, could you enlighten me on the term and pratice for a remix.
I thought a remix was basicly that you have the original recorded studio tracks and then worked them over again. But that's prehistoric now, I guess.
Remix, remake, cover?
The music you did for the remix, does it reflex the music on the Björk track or was there none in the original? Her voice was acapella originally?
I'm curious.
And, the other side of these things: I nice piece like this could never be released without clearing it legally I guess. Is there some understandable rules of thumb about what and how much you can use in a remix without getting trouble?

As an (other type of) example, I have here Björk doing a little football singing in an interview:
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/Div/OEoe.mp3
If I used that in a track and it was a public release - would that be OK without clearence?

Excuse me if these q's sound stupid.

Thanks again for the post, it made my day start in a better way than expected.

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:51 pm

really enjoyed that track adam

conny

Post by conny » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:59 pm

Yes, and my day is still good!
(Guess Adam fell asleep after the hard night.) 8)
// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

jahnlay

Post by jahnlay » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:36 pm

Yea, nicely done Adamjay, some constructive crit, a little boomy in the bottom end, notch out 160-300 a little bit and it'll sound a lot cleaner. :)
"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

Zakari Luk

Post by Zakari Luk » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:13 pm

its got a nice mellow vibe to it, very sunday morning.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:16 pm

conny wrote: Now, could you enlighten me on the term and pratice for a remix.
I thought a remix was basicly that you have the original recorded studio tracks and then worked them over again. But that's prehistoric now, I guess.
Remix, remake, cover?
The music you did for the remix, does it reflex the music on the Björk track or was there none in the original? Her voice was acapella originally?
I'm curious.
And, the other side of these things: I nice piece like this could never be released without clearing it legally I guess. Is there some understandable rules of thumb about what and how much you can use in a remix without getting trouble?

Conny, a remix is whatever you want it to be. I've done remixes that sound nothing like the original and ones that complimented the original. Generally the only rules are the guidelines you get from whoever is having you do the remix.

as far as the björk mix goes. the original was from her new album, which is "sort of" an all acapella album. There are beats and tones and such in it but they are all generated by a human voice, so its a concept album in a way. Its called Medúlla and i recommend it to anyone. This particular track was bare acapella. just her voice and a minimum amount of reverb.
The mix i did was more inspired by impOSCar than it was by Björk. I've actually been using Björk's voice as waveforms in my music for several years now, though its unrecognizable. Using it mostly as base waveforms for pads and basslines. Fiddling around with impOSCar got me the swell and the subsequent bassline and then the synth soon followed, with all that together the only thing i felt that could complete the track at that bpm was Björk.

legally... well its probably not very legal for me to put this up on a public board, but they'd be sueing someone with not much money anyway and i'm just looking for a reason to declare bancruptcy so they'd make my day hahah. i don't plan to release this for obvious reasons, maybe i'll use the parts in a closer to an early morning live set in the future. after this thread is dead i'll remove the link.
jahnlay wrote:Yea, nicely done Adamjay, some constructive crit, a little boomy in the bottom end, notch out 160-300 a little bit and it'll sound a lot cleaner.
thanks, thats my techno background coming out in the mix i think. hehehe.

udp

Post by udp » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:29 pm

Tasty! Still made me shake my ass a little though, but probably that's just me. Well done Adam. Hope to see you in Detroit soon.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

supster

Post by supster » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:51 pm

nice!
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

genshi

Post by genshi » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:58 pm

Very nice AdamJay. I like!

Here is a little remix I did of her Oceania track. She wound up getting a hold of it and had it on her site for about 6 weeks (which made me very happy) but there was no mention if we could release it (which made me sad) as of yet...

Hope you all enjoy. It's kinda different...

http://www.jido-genshi.com/breathing_oceania.mp3
Last edited by genshi on Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Credo

Post by Credo » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:59 pm

nice and simple
Its really Björk-like so to speak

C
>>
MacBook Pro 2,4 GHz, 3 Gb Ram, OS X 10.6.8
Novation Ultranova, Launchpad, Nocturn
MOTU Ultralite
Elektron Machinedrum + Monomachine
Future Retro XS
OTO Biscuit

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:52 pm

Thats a lovely track Adam. i like the Sound(s) you got out of the imposcar and the bass was fine for my taste, warm. Its cut like a loop I nearly listened to it twice in a row in soundforge and was clueless :lol:

Thats also a class track genshi, I can't resist telling you it could do with a tastefull boost on the treble on the strings to give it a more wonderous size and depth (could be MP3 encodings fault), apologies if this makes no sense.

This place is getting great for the free quality tracks, and then some instantish reactions, brilliant.

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:01 am

Really nice, Adamjay and Genshi both! You guys are inspirational to a newbie like me, coming out of quite a different background. Thanks really a lot for sharing.

later,
John
www.soundclick.com/johntenney

iMac G5, Reason 3.0, Live 5, Peak 5.01 LE, mp3 Trimmer, Finale 2006, various VSTs, Yamaha PSR 170 keyboard (cheap midi controller), Evolution UC33e (not so cheap midi controller)

ct43

Post by ct43 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:41 am

im into this :D

do you do more music like this Adam?

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:56 pm

Perfect listening before goin off to work.

Very nice Adam. Thanks.