NI Maschine?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
perplex

Re: NI Maschine?

Post by perplex » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:06 pm

im gonna get it. since they just dropped kore to focus on the maschine. it looks like a lot of goodies are gonna open up down the road.

but what is this i hear about akai and ableton teaming up to create something to battle the maschine? i seen it on the maschine forums.

wald

Post by wald » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:43 pm

um, yeah, lots more presets coming up ;)

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:48 pm

The Northern Contingent wrote:I think what many people who find it hard to build Maschine into their workflow are missing is the fundamental difference that Maschine is an instrument and not just another plugin.

Although it is incredibly powerful technically, it needs to be learned and approached as an instrument with its own technique for playing and performing. Like all instruments this takes time and patience to perfect. Anyone can bang out a simple 4/4 rhythm on it of course, but to really unlock its full potential you need what good old Roy Castle said - dedication. :D
I don't agree with you. Plugins are instruments in a virtual form - and that's not where the line goes. Some instruments work with your set of mind. Some people love MPCs. Some people love playing banjo. I could learn to play banjo too, but I'd rather bang my MPC. Or the Octatrack. Or Geist. The way of working suits the way I think about music. Of course anyone could learn to master the Maschine. But if I already have two alternatives that are a hundred times more fun and makes me more productive than the Maschine - why bother?

It's about personal preferences. Not about if it's an instrument or not. Lots of people love the Maschine. I neither hate or love it. It's just meh.
PLUGHUGGER - deep music tech review blog - www.plughugger.com

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:18 pm

I agree completely. If it doesn't suit your way of working then don't touch it. What appeals to me about this though is that it specifically does cross the boundary between software and a 'true' instrument (whatever that may be!). I find Maschine can be very expressive - but again, like you say, its personal preference.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:52 pm

Carl Lofgren wrote:
The Northern Contingent wrote:I think what many people who find it hard to build Maschine into their workflow are missing is the fundamental difference that Maschine is an instrument and not just another plugin.

Although it is incredibly powerful technically, it needs to be learned and approached as an instrument with its own technique for playing and performing. Like all instruments this takes time and patience to perfect. Anyone can bang out a simple 4/4 rhythm on it of course, but to really unlock its full potential you need what good old Roy Castle said - dedication. :D
I don't agree with you. Plugins are instruments in a virtual form - and that's not where the line goes. Some instruments work with your set of mind. Some people love MPCs. Some people love playing banjo. I could learn to play banjo too, but I'd rather bang my MPC. Or the Octatrack. Or Geist. The way of working suits the way I think about music. Of course anyone could learn to master the Maschine. But if I already have two alternatives that are a hundred times more fun and makes me more productive than the Maschine - why bother?

It's about personal preferences. Not about if it's an instrument or not. Lots of people love the Maschine. I neither hate or love it. It's just meh.
bang Geist?

outta curiosity what do you like about Geist I'm intrigued and may look into it.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 am

mholloway wrote:
Carl Lofgren wrote:I got it. It's well built, the support and development is Native Instruments on their best.

Personally - I'm not that fond of it. Can't really put my finger on it, but I never use it. Every time I try there is some problem or issue that just make me grab Geist and get it done. There are loads of people who think it's the best thing since the MPC so I guess my personal feelings gets sorted under 'Personal Compatibility'.

Just got me one of those Octatracks - which works perfectly with my way of thinking/working/and so on.

Same here. I've had Maschine for a year now. I've played with it. I've never once used it in a track of mine. Hard to say why, exactly. The hardware feels great and is fun. The software....I think is what bothers me. I don't like the browser, I don't like how it 'feels' to organize my own drum kits, and my workflow tastes are very much against "sequencing inside another sequencer" e.g. I like to do everything directly into ableton, anything else feels counter-intuitive/productive to me.

So I never use it. I use drum racks. Oh, and I tried the whole routing deal wherein I could play maschine's pads, triggering maschine's kits, and have it record as midi notes in a live midi clip. It worked, yes....but the setup was a bit obnoxious and it just didn't seem worth it.

I would sell it -- but it's an educational version, so I can't. Funny. I'm stuck with it. Maybe someday I'll find a way to make it do something other than eat space.

-M
+1 It's fun every now and then, but far from 'you can only bring one instrument on a desert island' type of thing.

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:47 am

In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 am

HeadrickProductions wrote:http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=134760

interesting thread
yeah it was interesting, when i started reading at the begin.... I was like wtf so I skipped to the end and wow things did get better eventually, they did drop the ball but at least from what i saw they were honorable about picking it back up. at least they talk to their user base I know some software devs that are way to high in their lofty clouds to hear the puny humans pleas for the gods to show themselves.

perplex

Post by perplex » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:46 pm

starving student wrote:
HeadrickProductions wrote:http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=134760

interesting thread
yeah it was interesting, when i started reading at the begin.... I was like wtf so I skipped to the end and wow things did get better eventually, they did drop the ball but at least from what i saw they were honorable about picking it back up. at least they talk to their user base I know some software devs that are way to high in their lofty clouds to hear the puny humans pleas for the gods to show themselves.
yea the Thomas guy made sure they were all taken care of in the end. so happy ending!