Native Instruments discontinues Kore

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Coupe70

Native Instruments discontinues Kore

Post by Coupe70 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:38 pm

...and focusses resources on Maschine.

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/native_ins ... ange_16744
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

wascal

Re: Native Instruments discontinues Kore

Post by wascal » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:22 pm

And I just picked up a Kore 1 controller with Kore 2 upgrade from ebay. And the Kore 1 came with no software so I cant use the uograde, and I cant find anyone selling a Kore 1 licence only. FML.

Lucky it was only £30 for that lot + got Electronic Experience for a tenner.

Anyone fancy selling their Kore 1 licence btw?
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:44 pm

Wow that kind of sux

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:57 pm

I thought this was bound to happen' the day I heard Maschine will host VSTs. So I sold mine half a year ago.

Well, tbh, I didn't really use it that much. The only thing that puzzles me is will the Kore Packs work also in Maschine.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:01 pm

they're gonna contain it within Maschine.. makes sense

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Shame really - rack made in Kore are really useful if you work with multiple DAWs.

I have to honest - the controller turned out to be a waste of space though.
Nothing to see here - move along!

continuous

Post by continuous » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Rationalizer wrote:I thought this was bound to happen' the day I heard Maschine will host VSTs. So I sold mine half a year ago.

Well, tbh, I didn't really use it that much. The only thing that puzzles me is will the Kore Packs work also in Maschine.

About to punch myself in the balls for not doing the same!

:x

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:04 pm

i always thought that kore was a really bad piece of software/kit, while machine seems cool, no wonder to me

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:35 pm

freshdrumma wrote:i always thought that kore was a really bad piece of software/kit
How so? It's amazing for having all your sounds in one place, browsing sounds by tags, stacking, and doing common tweaks.

I agree the hardware was kind of meh, or at the very least 1 more limited controller to have to wedge in, but I've always thought the software is ace for just getting things up and running quickly.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:39 pm

It sucks if you use more than one DAW, and the Kore 1 controller is/was great, you get 8 preassigned knobs with 500 step track automation writing instead of 128 MIDI you get out of other controllers, plus two separate audio outs for using live. Maschine is cool, but I play with a real drummer and just need something compact that lets me do pretty much exactly what Kore does right now. Problem is/was that NI had no fucking clue as to how to market Kore, so unless you dove in and started using it, you would think it was redundant, big marketing problem there.

The sad thing IMO is that having all the controls mapped to a device in a Preset as opposed to a song/set is brilliant, and absolutely useful, that Kore did it more efficiently than Automap isn't even a question, I've never bothered with Automap for plug ins, but I guess now I'll take a look. NI are supporting Kore for 64 bit out by the end of the year, so I suppose Lion support will be there, not sure about Windows 8, as Microsoft have a reputation for prolonging releases. Anyway it's still going to be useful for a while, at least two more years.

Another gripe, the upgrade to Maschine, which undoubtedly will not have full Kore functionality by the end of the year is $450 for those of us with a full Kore license and hardware, only about $50 cheaper than you can swing Kore in the states with some haggling. Not so great.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:27 pm

oh man, nuperspective is gonna be pissed. He just waited 5 months for his Kore2 to arrive from NI :lol:

convex

Post by convex » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:22 am

Gotta say, don't really understand the dislike of the Kore hardware. It could be a bit more compact, but it is a well-made device and does what it was designed to do quite well. While it doesn't have pads or many knobs or faders, it is a perfectly useful front end to the Kore application. I was a latecomer to the product, but my productivity increased notably the more I integrated into my workflow. I suppose, though, that it is most valuable to those of us who use a lot of NI software anyway due to the tightly integrated patch access and storage.

As far as it being replaced by Maschine, I have mixed feelings. Currently, I often use Kore to host Maschine or vice versa depending on what my writing or production goal happens to be. I would quite happily use Kore even more than I do if it had more robust sequencing and even basic record functions. Using Reaktor to facilitate this internally is somewhat tedious, so a lot that stuff happens in Ableton, of course.

As someone mentioned upthread, the ability to load a Kore project into different environments is handy. As someone who has been staring mostly into the Ableton interface for the past decade, one of my favorite things about Kore is that I can use it by itself to put together ideas or even mostly finished tracks, which has helped me to break a lot of habits I had developed within Ableton. I come at things differently than I would when building something strictly in a DAW.

While I find the Maschine hardware to be useful, it is a somewhat cumbersome controller if all you need is quick access to a plug-in chainer with dedicated controls for key parameters, rather than a big pad controller w/ 50 buttons. It is also fairly sluggish w/ regard to two-way communication between the hardware visual display and the computer app, and it is more expensive. Lastly, I don't have high hopes for the lifespan of the silicon buttons/pads NI is using for its expanded line of hardware. They glow beautifully and feel great, but I think the aluminum buttons on Kore are a more robust option.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:06 am

That's sad. For me especially the player.
Apple iMac 2013 / Macbook Late 2012
Live 10 Suite,Zebra ,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:38 am

There's also no software-only solution. With Kore you were not required to buy the hardware. Added to Komplete you could easily put together complex layered sounds using the multiple sound engines. Does Maschine allow that? I certainly am not interested in the Maschine hardware at all.

Too bad...I own Absynth and like it a lot. I've thought about moving to Komplete/Kore but there was always some stumbling block in the way (like how Kore still doesn't support the latest revs of the synths inside it). This is the final deal breaker for me, no more NI products in my plans.
:evil:

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:31 pm

Battery is next to getting the axe
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu