From Logic to Ableton

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Gaetano CAPUANO

Re: From Logic to Ableton

Post by Gaetano CAPUANO » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:08 pm

I am going from Abelton exclusively to Logic now, plan on using both. I just got Logic last week!
http://www.customguitarloops.com
Need Guitar or Bass tracks for your project? Message me and lets work that out

murgatroid

Post by murgatroid » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:38 am

Why not use both.

Live seems much more conducive for composing electronic and sample based music (for me) rather than your normal rock music involving recording a lot of live instrument takes, in which Logic works best.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:52 pm

About all I do anymore in Logic is mix - I have a nice mix template set up and really like some of the plugs. Live is just too much fun to work in and for me it has nothing to do with Session. Its all about the racks for me. They're so powerful and the instant midi mapping takes it to another level. Watched this over the weekend - -

http://www.dennisdesantis.com/2011/06/1 ... leton-live

then spent all day crossfading distortion into vocal tracks real time with my controller - too fun. Yes you can tweak fx in any DAW but its just fun and immediate in Live.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:40 pm

I switched from Logic 2004 - I used it for TV music and my own 'sampler rock'(?) but hated the GUI which they never changed for years and years - the EX24 editor is still more or less the same, the word "environment' still makes me shudder.
I can only echo the sentiments of an earlier post - it makes making music fun and intuitive. I find it really weird that so many dance musicians use it - I think Live will replace them all in years to come. I write guitar stuff and techno stuff in it and don't miss anything about it, on the contrary I am relieved not to use it.
I hadn't heard of that Mainstage trick that sounds cool. It is very common for people to use a couple of DAWS, but I prefer one, I would rather forego a couple of features than have the file management issues etc.
You are going to love it!

Gaetano CAPUANO

Post by Gaetano CAPUANO » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:42 am

I am really digging the deep editing and the multi take options in Logic
http://www.customguitarloops.com
Need Guitar or Bass tracks for your project? Message me and lets work that out

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:17 am

i love the possibilities in live to make racks and drumracks and sometimes fiddle about clip combining in session view. that's the fun stuff. and the audio-tempo functions are fantastic, like loopmarkers etc.
for all other tasks for me logic is much faster and more effective. if serious composing means more to you than combining clips running in a loop, there's no need for session view. session view is often a time conuming trap without getting results.
what i have in logic and miss badly in live:
a ton of midi functions (in live you can't even transpose a complete midi-arrangement on the fly)
score notation (for editing, not so much for printing)
event list editor
interactive editor windows
multiple screen setups
multiple screen sets
video sync
key commands for everything, self cusomable
mixer view
etc
in live i need about ten times the time to play and edit midi music.

synthcom

Post by synthcom » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:38 am

i switched to cubase when apple overtook emagic, cause i bought logic5 PC
shortly before. liked it a lot but was unhappy to be forced to buy a mac ( wich i maybe will do
today when my pc is on his edge:-)

switched to live after a Break and like its session view a lot, gives me
fast a lot of new ideas

( have also reaper, wich is great for cpu and works with every vst.
fast and easy vst/fx chaining system )
Last edited by synthcom on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

synthcom

Post by synthcom » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 am

toph wrote:Hi,

The only thing that is hard sometimes is not to miss the right moment to switch from session view to arrangement and start to arrange things instead of filling up session view and ending up with a few nice 8bar combis but no arrangement in the end. :D

C.
that is exactly what i experienced too.
in reaper i finish faster, but lives session view is the better creative/experimental tool.

keefbaker

Post by keefbaker » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:03 pm

I moved over in 2009 when I bought Komplete 6 and found it was intel only so my choices were buy a new mac or use my gaming PC for music as well.

I asked around and people said upgrade my live6 license to 8.

I've never looked back.

angeloconto

Post by angeloconto » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Sepp Ultura wrote:I moved from Logic to Live completely. I even do recordings and mixdowns of bands in Live now. The one thing I duly miss is Logic's Space Designer. What I did then is I bought Spectrasonic's Reverberate and now I use apple's IR samples with it. Apart from that I'm not missing any fx plugins. I found that Live's delays and compressors are easier to tweak and deliver nicer results. But that's just my two cts.

What I often do is I open mainstage, send MIDI from Live out via IAC and get the sound into Live via soundflower. Some of the Logic instruments are brilliant, that's how I get them to work in Live. Also, Logic's exs24 instruments open in Live's sampler. So make sure you get that one.

So, Logic has come to be some sort of huge sample library and instrument host for me. That's why I haven't wiped it off my HD. Apart from that, I do everything in Live.

This is my approach to it.
Hi
I'm trying to do the same, to control Logic instruments with Live via IAC. Could you please tell some details about what to do in Logic environment ?
Thanks !

jezjonson

Post by jezjonson » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:05 pm

I heard that Rennie Pilgrem uses Ableton, but then transfers the WAV to Logic to do the final mixdown - Is this a good idea?

Logic is only $199 at the moment, so if someone can point me in the right direction, I might go and buy Logic.

Cheers

Last bumped by jezjonson on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:05 pm.