Is Ableton really a 'pro audio application' ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Valiumdupeuple

Re: Is Ableton really a 'pro audio application' ?

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:25 pm

Sorry to quote myself, but:
Valiumdupeuple wrote:Are you sure there's no delay applied to your aux tracks and saved with your default template ? This option could be hidden (with the little "D" icon on the right side of the master track).

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:13 pm

the protagonist is prohibited and profanely proclaims that his pro-audio software is profoundly mis-programmed as he probes the forum for a probate or a professional to procure an answer sans questions without pro-routing, pro-rigging, and anything prolonging his need for prolific projection.

where's the goddamm fix it instantly button!?!?! :x

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:40 am

H20nly wrote:the protagonist is prohibited and profanely proclaims that his pro-audio software is profoundly mis-programmed as he probes the forum for a probate or a professional to procure an answer sans questions without pro-routing, pro-rigging, and anything prolonging his need for prolific projection.

where's the goddamm fix it instantly button!?!?! :x
Well done!
You must be a Pro

But with a 3 year lag in posts from him, you missed a golden opportunity to include procrastinate 8)

ovorigin

Post by ovorigin » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:33 am

no procrastination, been at it the whole time, I just settled for reverb on the track and got on with music.

So an update, I found that the waves trueverb was creating the delay even when its not on, just by being on my aux it was creating the phasing. The strange part is that it doesnt happen all the time. So I have some more testing to do. Ive read that 3rd party plugins have more latency than abletons native, now to find a reverb that is good without this issue.

what are you guys using, I dont find the ableton one that good for vocals?

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:44 am

ovorigin wrote: So an update, I found that the waves trueverb was creating the delay even when its not on, just by being on my aux it was creating the phasing. The strange part is that it doesnt happen all the time. So I have some more testing to do. Ive read that 3rd party plugins have more latency than abletons native, now to find a reverb that is good without this issue.
So what's the verdict then after 3 years? Is Ableton an application for a Pro like you? ;-)

ovorigin

Post by ovorigin » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:57 am

well lets face it, there is nothing else on the market for live performance.

I love ableton, IM not even going bitch about how the looper hasnt had an update since they released it.

SO much untapped potential.

invol

Post by invol » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:43 am

Having just skimmed all the responses, forgive me if someone already stated what I'm about to state. To answer a question with a question...

Is Daft Punk a pro act? Richie Hawtin? Sasha? The B-52s? Kanye West? Cirque du Soleill? Skrillex? Etc, etc, etc...all use Live in some capacity.

madlab

Post by madlab » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:00 am

ovorigin wrote:well lets face it, there is nothing else on the market for live performance.

I love ableton, IM not even going bitch about how the looper hasnt had an update since they released it.

SO much untapped potential.
I feel your pain with the looper...
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:54 am

It's as pro as it's user !

ovorigin

Post by ovorigin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:42 pm

So the looper was released a few years ago and to this day I still cant start a loop with it and have the others play in sync afterward. Not to mention all the strange distortions in occasionally BUT regularly inflicts on the sound.

There is nothing pro about a feature released so long ago that still doesnt work!

and yeah pro muso's use it but like I said they dont exactly have any other options so like me they work around the problems but you can only go so far with this, with the looper for example, if it cant reliably start a loop and have the other samples play back to it then its not really even worthy of the name and definitely doesnt qualify as 'Pro'.

Let the flames begin :)

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:05 pm

ovorigin wrote:So the looper was released a few years ago and to this day I still cant start a loop with it and have the others play in sync afterward. Not to mention all the strange distortions in occasionally BUT regularly inflicts on the sound.

There is nothing pro about a feature released so long ago that still doesnt work!

and yeah pro muso's use it but like I said they dont exactly have any other options so like me they work around the problems but you can only go so far with this, with the looper for example, if it cant reliably start a loop and have the other samples play back to it then its not really even worthy of the name and definitely doesnt qualify as 'Pro'.

Let the flames begin :)
There are a number of options out there if Live doesn't work for you. Not sure where you got that statement, but DAWs are out there in numbers my friend.

ovorigin

Post by ovorigin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:16 pm

But live is the only one that never drops play back in favor of other processes hence its the only option for live performance.

I was a long time logic user, no go for live use.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:36 pm

If this thread gets derailed to discussing Looper, that wouldn't be a bad development IMO.

I'm not happy with it either, so what are alternative software Loopers?

I'm looking for one that always "records" audio from the track it's on in the background, but starts only to loop it, and bring it into the foreground when I press Loop.

So that the work flow is not: Oh, I think I will do something cool during the next 8 bars, so I press Loop now and then do it.
But that it is: Wow, the last about 8 bars I was on fire, let's press Loop now and have it loop that for some time in perfect quantization and time with the rest.

Does such a thing exist?!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:34 pm

TomViolenz wrote:If this thread gets derailed to discussing Looper, that wouldn't be a bad development IMO.

I'm looking for one that always "records" audio from the track it's on in the background, but starts only to loop it, and bring it into the foreground when I press Loop.

So that the work flow is not: Oh, I think I will do something cool during the next 8 bars, so I press Loop now and then do it.
But that it is: Wow, the last about 8 bars I was on fire, let's press Loop now and have it loop that for some time in perfect quantization and time with the rest.

It's possible to construct such a looper a number of ways, even using Live's own looper with some creative routing. Here's an off the top of my head suggestion:

EG : put Looper in a track which accepts audio from your source track.
Group the looper into a rack,
Set looper to one repeat
Map the repeat parameter and the chain mute state to a macro named "Retroloop".

Now this looper is silently repeating the last x bars you played, as soon as you turn retroloop macro UP it will unmute this loop and turn the repeats up to max, so it will loop indefinitely.

Other changes can be made to your macro assignments and looper setup to produce variant outcomes. EG : use the same Retroloop macro to make sure it switches the looper to Play mode, and stops recording.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:50 pm

Angstrom wrote:
TomViolenz wrote:If this thread gets derailed to discussing Looper, that wouldn't be a bad development IMO.

It's possible to construct such a looper a number of ways, even using Live's own looper with some creative routing. Here's an off the top of my head suggestion:

EG : put Looper in a track which accepts audio from your source track.
Group the looper into a rack,
Set looper to one repeat
Map the repeat parameter and the chain mute state to a macro named "Retroloop".
Sorry my Looper does not have a parameter called Repeat.
I know BeatRepeat does, and its functionality is what I actually want to recreate, just with more than 1 bar length, but I don't see how I can get Looper to do this.

To me it seems Looper only records once after it got started and then it either starts playback or overdubs.
I wish it could overdub over a cleared again audio memory, but I didn't get that to work either.
What am I missing?! :?